Do you ever feel bad when ....

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You see a post here about someone who's kitty is termanilly ill? I ask because I saw a post today and felt so bad for the person. I just remember when the vet was so sure Jordan had lymphoma and all I could think is why my kitty. Now that he has proved the vet wrong as is doing so much better I think all the time how lucky I am but when I see the posts I feel so bad. I was thinking today how lucky I am to still have my main man, but why was I so lucky when other people aren't. It seem strange to feel bad that my baby is OK, but I do. Please tell me I'm not the only one who feel sthis way sometimes.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, most of us feel that way. It's normal to be happy it's "not me." But still sad for the person going through the difficult time.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel sad when I see those posts! I avoid the Rainbow Bridge too.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
You're definatly not the only one. Whenever I see some of those posts, my heart goes out to the person and I feel so bad for what they're going through...

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel terrible when someone posts that their cat is terminally ill or has passed on. I have been in that position more than once and will be there again. I cried about a recent post in Crossing the bridge section.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's devastating to see these kind of posts, especially since most of us can relate
I was so sad for you when they thought Jordan was sick
They told us a year ago that Joey had Lymphoma, turned out they were wrong! Thank God. Then Losing
Bella
destroyed me
So I can go there with that person that posts sad news immediately

emy4cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always feel bad when I find out peoples pets are sick. I have to avoid the Rainbow Bridge because everytime I read posts in there I start to cry.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do feel bad and have had to post those sad posts when my cats died within 40 days of each other.
When Coco was 9.5 I was told she would not but she did.
Then in 2005 I was told she had lung cancer and a bad heart by a very bad vet that has been shut down.
I posted in other groups when she was very sick.
I do read the sad posts and they do make me cry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

It's devastating to see these kind of posts, especially since most of us can relate
I was so sad for you when they thought Jordan was sick
They told us a year ago that Joey had Lymphoma, turned out they were wrong! Thank God. Then Losing
Bella
destroyed me
So I can go there with that person that posts sad news immediately
You know having faced losing Jordan at such a young age may have made it easier for me to relate. I just know how hard it was for me to look at him all I could think was "Why my baby?" Now I look at him & I thank the lord for every single day I have with him. Everymorning I wake up with him asleep next to my head and think "what would I do without him?"
It was also good because before he was sick I used to get really frustrated with his naughty behavior, now I appreciate everything he does because he is Jordan Noah!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is sad and of course you are a little glad it's not your cat, but I can't tell you how helpfull it is for the grieveing process to be able to speek about it to other cat lovers. I would still be a basket case if I hadn't gotten the support and outpouring of kindness I experianced when Duke was diagnosed and later died of Feline Hepatic Lipidosis.

I now go onto the "Crossing the Bridge" forum when I get a chance to send me condolences and lend my support when I can because I know how much it can help.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're not the only one. I hate to admit it, but I frequently avoid those threads because they always make me cry. Since I usually check in here during my lunch hour at work, crying isn't good.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On another board I am on a member had adopted the dearest Maine coon cat. Daffodil had health problems but her owner was handing them and suddenly Daffy got worse.

I tried to help by asking many sites for prayers and healing but today I came home from the dentist and read she had been pts.

I feel awful! I cried myself out and still feel miserable. Keep wondering if there was not something that could have been done. Probably not but she was a dear girl and I do feel bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are days I have to stay away from the health forums, because it does make me feel so bad. It is good to know I'm not alone.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do feel for anyone who's cats have major/terminal health issues, I think that's part of what makes us good pet owners and good friends to others. Guilty because its not one of mine, not really, because I've learned the hard way that it just as quickly and easily could be mine....."your time will come" type thing, I guess. I used to avoid the Bridge too, but after losing two basically healthy cats in two weeks time last year, then another one just a couple of months later, I've taken to spending more time there, and posting more (when I can, emotionally) because I know what a comfort those posts were to me when I was going through a tough time, and I want to be there for someone else like others were for me.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

On another board I am on a member had adopted the dearest Maine coon cat. Daffodil had health problems but her owner was handing them and suddenly Daffy got worse.

I tried to help by asking many sites for prayers and healing but today I came home from the dentist and read she had been pts.

I feel awful! I cried myself out and still feel miserable. Keep wondering if there was not something that could have been done. Probably not but she was a dear girl and I do feel bad.
I know just how you feel, and it is understandable. To make a long story short, I had a similar things happen to me, with my dog:

SPCA claimed Marcus had lived with cats, & got along very well with them. I take him home; my 5 guys are terrified of him. After a week, we decided that this was no life for either Marcus, nor the cats, and made the excruciating decision to return him (I did write a glowing recommendation letter about him, & I was certain he would be re-adpoted). Well, he had accidentally nipped me, & drew blood; I fessed up when they asked me. It didn not occur to me that they would TEST HIM FOR RABIES! (He had shots, I had told them I was still good with mine [from a savage dog-bite incident a few years before]). No reason to suspect him of rabies; yet they called me 3 days later, and told me he was negative--then I remembered how they do it--they decapitate the animal, and take a frozen slice of brain to analyze. The (censored) SPCA didn*t even gie Marcus the 14-day quarantine period! When DH called them, they said they expedited it because we asked them to! (Ww NEVER mentioned this to them at all.) We were so angry, & almost 3 years later, are still angry. (On top of it, when I took him in, they read his records, and said he had never lived with cats!)

To make things worse, the next day, my brother, not knowing we had surrendered Marcus, called and said his vet had found a good home for him...

I still feel so guilty. When I see a copy of Marley & Me (I work in a library), that dog makes cry--looks just like My Marky-Barky. To make that worse, the author is a local, & really popular, so I see Marley*s pic a lot around the area.

I still cry when I think about my pup--I often ask him if he can forgive me for what I did. I hope God and Marcus can forgive my stupidity. I took the dog, even though I kept telling myself I should not--but I felt sorry for him, and just fell in love with thsoe brown eyes. I just wanted to give him a good home, but I really messed up.

I am so afraid to ever get another dog, though I would love to.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately, life is a temporary condition, and all of us and our pets die. I could no more avoid the Bridge section than any other section. The dying is part of living, and while I cry over every one of them (don't tell my trucker friends!), I know we all have to go on.

I hate it that the shelter has to put animals to sleep. I hope someday it won't be necessary, but even the "no-kill" shelters put animals to sleep for various reasons. We brought Ella home when she got put on the PTS list, because it looks like her nose is never going to heal up and no one would adopt her that way.

Just this afternoon, she and Punkin (who she has been a little afraid of) were lying together on the same coat on the floor. She's started chasing around the house with him as well as with her chew-toy Sterling. She's turned out to be playful and a great cat to have around. She's spent almost 3 years in cages since Hurricane Katrina.

We only do what we can do, and if our furry friends could talk to us, they would tell us to go and save another life to honor theirs when they go.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel awful when someone has a terminally ill cat, and certain illnesses make me feel worse than others. I can post on the health threads, but at the moment I am avoiding the Bridge section, which I feel guilty about - I used to always make an effort to post in there, as I know how much the support means, but there have been too many losses this year, and I just can't do it, unless I spot one on the search that I can't not post on. I am hoping that time will help and I will feel strong enough to post soon, but it has been a tough year, not just for losses (2 of my own, plus a cat and a dog that I stayed at the end with cos no one else was strong enough), and not even a year yet since my last loss, but also rescue wise