Bitter Apple

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so Oscar has always overgroomed himself for the 5 years we have had him. He ALWAYS has had a bald patch on his leg because he overgrooms there all the time....

Travis and I decided to try Bitter Apple to try to discourage him grooming there. How often should we use it?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he been checked out by a vet. It could be an allergic reaction to food or flea products. If he's been checked out and nothing has been found to cause him to keep licking one spot, then I'd only use a small spray. I'm not sure if the Bitter Apple would sting or not on skin.

If you try it, watch his reactions. If he is in pain or acting like it hurts, then wash his paw/leg off immediately. You only need to do it once or twice I would guess.

But keep in mind, that he could start on another spot, so it may be more related to allergies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Has he been checked out by a vet. It could be an allergic reaction to food or flea products. If he's been checked out and nothing has been found to cause him to keep licking one spot, then I'd only use a small spray. I'm not sure if the Bitter Apple would sting or not on skin.

If you try it, watch his reactions. If he is in pain or acting like it hurts, then wash his paw/leg off immediately. You only need to do it once or twice I would guess.

But keep in mind, that he could start on another spot, so it may be more related to allergies.
Like I said, as long as we have had him he's done this. He was a stray when we got him 5 years ago. He is an obsessively clean cat anyways and always has been. He bathes himself all the time and loves being brushed.

It's not Bitter Apple exactly. It's called Bitter Yuck No Chew Spray. The girl in Petsmart recommended it instead of the Bitter Apple. It says on the bottle to apply it consistantly but I didn't want to overdo it and he get sick from it. The bottle says all ingredients are natural and it's alcohol free so it won't burn.

When we sprayed it on him, he freaked out. He ended up licking it all off
Only my cat....

He was really mad at us and still is. He won't even look at us. I will definately keep an eye on him though.