TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Another new breed: Caracats
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Another new breed: Caracats - Page 2

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
My wife, Teri thinks this Caracats thing is wrong too. So she sides with most of you, who have commented.

Just goes to show that we all have different opinions, even in a marriage.

I'm trying to keep an open mind, as the breed I love and work with is also from a wildcat/domestic cross.

I think it would be hypocritcal of me to dismiss it as rubbish without giving it a chance. I of course don't condone or approve of any Aby's being hurt in the process.
My husband was really interested in this new breed when I asked him for his opinion. He is the one who was intrigued with Bengals and had me look into them further before getting Zoey. I am glad he did that because now my household will never be without one
post #32 of 51
Sol- Thanks, I had seen really skimpy tufts on one of my cats (sh) as a child, but haven't seen anything even near the caracal tuft on a SH cat.

Magnoliachat- Thanks, nice to know that I can write a post that makes sense after a day at work

Art
post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Once again I'm so happy I live in Sweden. Here it's illegal to breed wild animals with domesticated species, no matter what species we're talking about (so no, FI Bengals aren't legal to keep as pets here).
F5 is the earliest generation Bengal allowed over here, and I imagine there are few of those as not all breeders would be importing. I believe the Bengal is the only wild cat allowed over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
Personally I'm against all kind of hybridization between wild and domesticated species
So am I, so this is not a breed I have any interest in at all. My Ocicats are 'wild' enough for me
post #34 of 51
the biggest problem I would say that entails with breading a wild species with a domestic species, is the want for looks. As the cats become more domesticated their coat will change regardless of the background. I saw something once where someone was domesticating foxes, and he ended up with a black and white spotted fox. *shrug*
post #35 of 51
Since all cats are basically tabby (of some sort), I would suspect if you let them go an breed without interference, they would eventually all look tabby (brown, blue, reddish) and be medium in size with a medium muzzle (not extreme at all).
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
Since all cats are basically tabby (of some sort), I would suspect if you let them go an breed without interference, they would eventually all look tabby (brown, blue, reddish) and be medium in size with a medium muzzle (not extreme at all).
We are about 200 years behind the dog in developing different type and personality. That is all changing now - too fast for some and not fast enough for others.

The fact is that all cats have wild in their genetic tree - some closer than others.

We are seeing all the differences now - size, shape, coat type, and personality. It will, most likely, continue.

I love my Bengals, Brambles, and Peterbalds. Wouldn't have any other breeds. I suspect we all feel similar about the breed (or mixed breed) that we have.

On this one cat, I have made my feelings known. I LOVE the look of the cat, but I worry about 3 things:
Size difference in mating and delivering
Gestation periods being different
and the disturbing thought of declawing all of them.

Those things coupled with this person not planning to breed generations, but keep them at F1 and 2's is disturbing. That makes this very different than the Bengal and the Savannah (and a few others).
post #37 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnoliachat View Post

Those things coupled with this person not planning to breed generations, but keep them at F1 and 2's is disturbing. That makes this very different than the Bengal and the Savannah (and a few others).
I don't think she's planning to stop at F1's and F2's. She has applied for and was granted experimental status for the Caracat with TICA. They will have some strict requirements for her if she ever hopes to have her breed accepted for championship status. One of which I'm sure will be F4 or F5 to be considered SBT.

If you're a TICA member, there is an article about her in the latest issue of the TICA Trend.
post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals View Post
I don't think she's planning to stop at F1's and F2's. She has applied for and was granted experimental status for the Caracat with TICA. They will have some strict requirements for her if she ever hopes to have her breed accepted for championship status. One of which I'm sure will be F4 or F5 to be considered SBT.

If you're a TICA member, there is an article about her in the latest issue of the TICA Trend.
I am a TICA member, but haven't looked a the Trend lately. I will now. Seems early for her to apply for this. I have bred Brambles for 3 years, but was waiting for more breeders before applying for experimental status.
post #39 of 51
My thoughts on this, and I don't know if anyone else brought it up, but since she wants to keep the tufted ears, and since the Wild Cat is fairly large, why doesn't she try creating the breed with a Maine Coon? True, it will be harder to get the even toned fur, but it might work in keeping the tufted ears, maybe after F3 or so, she would have the proper sized cat to breed safely with an Aby in order to get the even toned fur, as well as the tufted ears.
post #40 of 51
She probably doesn't want a longhair cat - she sounds like she wants the shorthair aby/caracel looking cat. Mating to a MC would produce shorthairs in the first generation, but you'd be getting a heck of a lot of longhairs if sticking to the MC's.

And it might be harder to keep the ticked tabby because the MC's are Classic/Mackeral. I don't believe that ticked tabby MC's are acceptable in the breed.
post #41 of 51
I love the idea of wild cats crossed with domestics, but I have jumped off the fence and have decided that I don't like the practice. After meeting with a noted wildlife biologist who fought wih TICA against the inception of Bengals, I agree with her that is is better to manipulate our domestic cats instead of going against nature to develop new breeds.

Bengals and the other hybrids are gorgeous animals, it just doesn't feel right to me.

This is simply my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.
post #42 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohni View Post
I love the idea of wild cats crossed with domestics, but I have jumped off the fence and have decided that I don't like the practice. After meeting with a noted wildlife biologist who fought wih TICA against the inception of Bengals, I agree with her that is is better to manipulate our domestic cats instead of going against nature to develop new breeds.

Bengals and the other hybrids are gorgeous animals, it just doesn't feel right to me.

This is simply my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.
You aren't alone. There are a lot of people that feel that way. I, personally, don't mind it. However, I do not agree with putting a cat in danger by doing it. To get the Bengal, the Asian Leapord Cat was used - very close in size to the domestic and the gestation wasn't as varied.

I still love the look of the breed in this thread, but I don't think it is worth the risk to the Abby that has to breed and carry the kittens.
post #43 of 51
At first I thought they were gorgeous... but then I read whats going on.
I hope someone is really watching whats happening. And I hate that they are being declawed! Some species are better off being left to bature and not freak experiments. We will see I guess.
post #44 of 51
Hate to bring this one back up. . . but I recently read on another list that the Caracat breeder had passed away prior to the article's publication in the TICA Trend and thus the Caracat project is no longer active.

This same source also stated that the Aby queen was in labor for 30 hours. Poor darling. . .
post #45 of 51
Sorry to hear of the passing, but God works in mysterious ways - hopefully the cats won't have someone else stepping in to revive this.
post #46 of 51
I realize this is now a moot point, but why couldn't the female caracal carry the kittens for a few generations? Would they grow up feral?
post #47 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensic View Post
I realize this is now a moot point, but why couldn't the female caracal carry the kittens for a few generations? Would they grow up feral?
She probably wouldn't let a male Aby mate with her. She might even kill him.
post #48 of 51
I suppose that would be an issue huh.
post #49 of 51
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Please let me introduce myself. I am the daughter of the woman that you are criticizing. Please refrain from making any more judgments about her; I can assure you that her intentions were pure and she was one of the most loving and kind individuals in the world. She loved felines more than humans. She made an enormous contribution to the feline species. Think about it. Over-breeding does what to any species? Hybrids are highly evolved and adaptable. My mother had a brilliant idea and followed through until completion. You have no idea what my mother went through to make her dream a reality. She can't exactly defend herself, so I must. I am extremely proud of her. My mother passed away August 27th 2008. Please be respectful. Thank you.

~A
post #50 of 51
(post deleted)
post #51 of 51
I don't think anybody was insensitive or disrespectful towards your mother as a person. However, this is a forum where we openly discuss cat breeds and breeding practices. Many of us have strong feelings when it comes to different breeds, and breeds that are wild hybrids always seem to generate a lot of discussion.

Nobody means any disrespect towards your mother. However, disrespect is different from disagreement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Another new breed: Caracats