TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Combs and/or brushes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Combs and/or brushes?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I include here a picture of the grooming tools I use on Persi:



When I use the brush I get an amazing amount of hair out of Persi. I have a feeling I am getting a different type of hair (this was a KatKwiz question yesterday.) Even after using the comb until no more hair comes out, I can then use the brush and all kinds of hair of the lighter than air variety still come out. Once in a while I use the comb on Alley as I get nothing whatsoever with the brush. So my question is to our grooming experts. You can see my cat's picture to the right of my username and you can see the devices I have. How should I be using these? Thanks in advance, it is always nice to know I have a place to go to get information!

Persi much prefers the brush (or whatever it is) to the comb. The comb does not get much hair but it finds the snags that the brush misses. So should I be using both every day, alternating, or what? I do see confusing information on this forum when the words comb and brush are interchanged.
post #2 of 24
Have you tried the Furminator? I used combs and brushes, but neither compared to what came off with the Furminator.
post #3 of 24
If the toothed brush is getting more hair out initially, I'd use that first and the fine-toothed comb second as a finishing comb and getting any small mats/tangles out.
post #4 of 24
I still use a Zoom Groom for my boys - DSHs. It gets a lot of fur out. If you're wanting the answer to Alley's fur, you simply need a different brush - because it's highly unlikely that she's not shedding at all.

I've only had two DLHs in my life and fine toothed combs and patience worked for their coats. With luck, I'll be able to say I've had three here soon.
post #5 of 24
It depends entirely on what your intention is. Using your picture, you have a flea comb and a rake shown. The flea comb for Persi is more than acceptable. I personally don't like using rakes on any LH cat unless it's shedding season.

What I do to groom my Dumdum:

1. Medium Tooth comb
2. Fine tooth comb
3. Flea Comb (only if necessary)
4. Pin Brush

And I'm done

The probable reason why Persi's coat is not as long as it should or could be is because you are over using the rake methinks.
post #6 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
It depends entirely on what your intention is. Using your picture, you have a flea comb and a rake shown. The flea comb for Persi is more than acceptable. I personally don't like using rakes on any LH cat unless it's shedding season.

What I do to groom my Dumdum:

1. Medium Tooth comb
2. Fine tooth comb
3. Flea Comb (only if necessary)
4. Pin Brush

And I'm done

The probable reason why Persi's coat is not as long as it should or could be is because you are over using the rake methinks.
Those are pretty much the tools I use too. And one of my combs is just like the one used on Persi. It's not really a flea comb. It's much larger and is really just a fine tooth comb. The picture is a little deceiving.
post #7 of 24
i don't have any longhaired cats, altho i do groom 2 of my DSHs because they seem to have overly thick coats . this is similar to the comb i use on them:

post #8 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pami View Post
Have you tried the Furminator? I used combs and brushes, but neither compared to what came off with the Furminator.
I have been contemplating this as you can see for a few days and I am proud to say I just came back from Petco where I bought a brand new Furminator for Cats. This is not the first time somebody has told me to get one of these but nobody has ever mentioned the price and I now know why! Everybody knew I was an old guy and probably could not survive the shock. Which I almost didn't when the guy in the Petco store announced it. FIFTY DOLLARS. DW always has a way of making things not seem so bad and reminded me we always got 20% off with our card hanging on my keyring. OK, FORTY DOLLARS. Still a bit of a blow and please don't bother telling me how much cheaper you could have got one. I have not used it yet and will not until in the morning because that is the time that Persi is waiting on top of the dryer, waiting for me to get up and come groom him (no kidding). And from what I gather, this is going to take some time before all the results are in. As I have already stated, this house is covered in hair even though I groom him soooo vigorously. If this furminator can help keep somebody from crashing to the bottom of our wood stairs because of being covered in cat hair, it is going to be WELL WORTH THE PRICE.

Report in two weeks.
post #9 of 24
I think you will be more shocked by the amount of hair you get off of Persi (and Alley) after the first brushing even more than the shock of the price. Seriously! The results will be instant, well before two weeks. You will love it!
post #10 of 24
If you have the receipt return it. I picked up Petco's version of the Furminator for less then half that price. I was not paying $40 either for the Furminator The Petco version works just as well and I use it on our lab and Ling with good results.
post #11 of 24
I am going to go out on a limb and predict that after 2 weeks, you will still like using your combs better.

I don't remember if you bathe Persi or not? If you do, investing in a Metro Pet dryer is well worth the money. They are high velocity but don't get hot enough to burn. You just wash, blow dry with the metro (without combing) and then do finish combing after the fur is dry. The dryer itself does the combing (and getting out all the loose, dead fur) while the coat is going from wet to dry. It's remarkable. That is how those of us who show Persian's groom a show coat.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
i don't have any longhaired cats, altho i do groom 2 of my DSHs because they seem to have overly thick coats . this is similar to the comb i use on them:

That comb would last 5 minutes with my cats!
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u View Post
That comb would last 5 minutes with my cats!
yeah, i imagine it would! remember, mine are shorthaired, not persians like yours!
post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
If you have the receipt return it. I picked up Petco's version of the Furminator for less then half that price. I was not paying $40 either for the Furminator The Petco version works just as well and I use it on our lab and Ling with good results.
????I have a problem understanding you. I do have the receipt but I bought this at Petco and why did the person selling it to me keep it a secret that they had their own model? They must get a percentage of what they sell?
post #15 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u View Post
I am going to go out on a limb and predict that after 2 weeks, you will still like using your combs better.

I don't remember if you bathe Persi or not?
I will be sure to save the receipt for the next two weeks.
DW has always bought stuff and returned it 29 days later, after getting a free trial. I have just recently caught on to how cool this whole notion is!

OK, I am also going out on a limb when I announce (I have already done so) that Persi has never had a bath. Bad Daddy! But you are right, I do not show Persi but I do note that the instructions on the Furminator mention that it is to be used after bathing. And last night I woke up in the middle of the night with a thought - continue using the tools I have and use the furminator as a supplement or something? OK, you know my problem. I am a good daddy and try hard to keep him combed and brushed every day. If you are going to tell me that bathing would help, I would like to show you a tattoo on my right leg that Persi gave me free of charge.
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
I will be sure to save the receipt for the next two weeks.
DW has always bought stuff and returned it 29 days later, after getting a free trial. I have just recently caught on to how cool this whole notion is!

OK, I am also going out on a limb when I announce (I have already done so) that Persi has never had a bath. Bad Daddy! But you are right, I do not show Persi but I do note that the instructions on the Furminator mention that it is to be used after bathing. And last night I woke up in the middle of the night with a thought - continue using the tools I have and use the furminator as a supplement or something? OK, you know my problem. I am a good daddy and try hard to keep him combed and brushed every day. If you are going to tell me that bathing would help, I would like to show you a tattoo on my right leg that Persi gave me free of charge.
What?? You don't like that tattoo Persi gave you? Poor Persi.... so misunderstood.

From what I've seen in your posts, I think you do a great job with Persi. I only mentioned the bath because I couldn't remember if that was part of your routine or not. It does help a lot to bath a long haired cat. But it is not always necessary either. If he doesn't show, doesn't have a greasy coat and you're able to keep matting under control then I don't see any reason for it. I was just throwing it out there as an option.
post #17 of 24
Stores don't tell you anything Lee.... I happened to run across it on one of the shelves (where the rest of the brushes were). IMO it works just as well but a lot cheaper

The one I have is light blue.
post #18 of 24
^Exactly, often because they do not know or just don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
They must get a percentage of what they sell?
And it doesn't work this way. Anyone who's worked retail can tell you, you don't get bonuses for letting people buy overpriced things. Now it may be a little different with the Petco cards - they may get points or just better work records for pushing those. In the case of the later it could mean they keep their jobs..
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abymummy View Post
The probable reason why Persi's coat is not as long as it should or could be is because you are over using the rake methinks.
This statement causes me much concern. I have used the furminator and it took out so much hair that it is noticeable on Persi. He looks smaller. Yes, I got a bag full of hair out of him. But then again, I have never used anything like this before. I will say that for the last 24 hours he has not left a trail of fur on the wooden stairs. Guess I took out all the hair that would have been on the stairs. But as you say, I want a LONG haired cat. I also don't want cat hairs everywhere. Right now it looks like I have to make a choice and I do not like either of the options.

To you Furnimator users: After using it for a few times, did the amount of hair removed get less and less? How often do you use it? Do you use it exclusively or do you interchange with other grooming methods on other days? DW came home after I had finished with the Furminator and said straitaway that Persi looked smaller and had shorter hair. This is very distressfull. I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place because this morning we did not need to vacuum the stairs, which is what I wanted so bad but I am not prepared to have a bald Persian cat.
post #20 of 24
Eeek! I've heard of those before but had no idea $50!!! Wow, Costs more than those fashion-hooked human combs/brushes. Shees. But so glad to hear it works for you. I'll have to try it some time, when on sale.

I use several combs which I like more than brushes, because they are so easy to get the fur out of in a second. But different length teeth adn wide really makes a difference. the short teeth seem to do nothing, and when too close same. Also one of mine is not good and just full of static. The longer tooth adn non static are the best for us. :o)
post #21 of 24
There seems to be a lot of different opinions on what brushes/combs/tools to use to groom cats. I have a black DSH kitten (about 12 weeks) and am still unsure of what to buy to groom her. Any suggestions?
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley View Post
I will be sure to save the receipt for the next two weeks.
DW has always bought stuff and returned it 29 days later, after getting a free trial. I have just recently caught on to how cool this whole notion is!

OK, I am also going out on a limb when I announce (I have already done so) that Persi has never had a bath. Bad Daddy! But you are right, I do not show Persi but I do note that the instructions on the Furminator mention that it is to be used after bathing. And last night I woke up in the middle of the night with a thought - continue using the tools I have and use the furminator as a supplement or something? OK, you know my problem. I am a good daddy and try hard to keep him combed and brushed every day. If you are going to tell me that bathing would help, I would like to show you a tattoo on my right leg that Persi gave me free of charge.
Oh Persi/Alley,
You are too funny! I just read your ending quote: "If you are going to tell me that bathing would help, I would like to show you a tattoo on my right leg that Persi gave me free of charge."

Thanks so much for the laugh! I really thought you were going to be bragging about a tattoo you have, ha ha. I truly treasure several tattoos that I've had for more than 15 years from my dear, passed Archie especially. I hope they never fade! I had a well loved tattoo scratched on from Chippy when he was little, and you don't know how much i treasured it. it was on my elbow area arm and quite big, but literally after about 12-15 years, it actually faded away, I was so mad! Ha ha. but they left loving, and humorous memories of them.

Thanks for the laugh! :o)
post #23 of 24
If your cat is anything like Kitty, who has a very dense, short coat, then you will love the furminator I got one after our house was covered in fur, and she hardly sheds at all now. I brush her maybe once a week, and sometimes use a plastic flea comb to smooth out any patches quickly.

Holly just gets petted alot thank god we only have one furry cat.

BTW, I paid almost the same amount for my furminator, and it is money well spent!
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowers View Post
If your cat is anything like Kitty, who has a very dense, short coat, then you will love the furminator I got one after our house was covered in fur, and she hardly sheds at all now. I brush her maybe once a week, and sometimes use a plastic flea comb to smooth out any patches quickly.

Holly just gets petted alot thank god we only have one furry cat.

BTW, I paid almost the same amount for my furminator, and it is money well spent!
Meowers,
Oh your photo beneath is too cute and pretty. I love to see two cats draped over each other (in our house I'd only see that if I was drunk and in a crazy dream; and I don't drink!, ha ha).

But so glad it works so well for you. What size one do you have the furminator? In the cat size (which looks so short to me). I've always used flea and flea like combs which all work great for collecting hair (and they really like it too). They are much longer than the furminator. But you guys are tempting me to put in that big chunk of money and getting one! I actually just made a mega purchase for trays of natural cat foods from a mail order place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Combs and/or brushes?