TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Any good cat toys you can recommend?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any good cat toys you can recommend?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
Both of my "kids" are indoor cats, and I periodically like to get them new stuff to play with. The only problem is, a lot of what I see at Petsmart and such are toys that come with things like feathers, little felt pieces, buttons and such.

Maybe I'm too much of a worrier, but both of my cats like to chew on things and I don't want them to get choked on pieces of a cat toy. The one thing they absolutely love is a little plush mouse that squeeks when you bat it around.

What kind of cat toys can I get them that won't fall apart and cause a choking hazard? I'm especially curious about my big boy Thor. He has bleeding gums (but his teeth are okay...which is weird) and I would like him to have something kind of soft to chew on in case his teeth bother him.

Any recommendations?
post #2 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
Both of my "kids" are indoor cats, and I periodically like to get them new stuff to play with. The only problem is, a lot of what I see at Petsmart and such are toys that come with things like feathers, little felt pieces, buttons and such.

Maybe I'm too much of a worrier, but both of my cats like to chew on things and I don't want them to get choked on pieces of a cat toy. The one thing they absolutely love is a little plush mouse that squeeks when you bat it around.

What kind of cat toys can I get them that won't fall apart and cause a choking hazard? I'm especially curious about my big boy Thor. He has bleeding gums (but his teeth are okay...which is weird) and I would like him to have something kind of soft to chew on in case his teeth bother him.

Any recommendations?
The next time you go shopping ask for a paper bag. Then simply throw it on the floor when you get home and empty it. Bingo, instant toy that should keep your cat amused for a long, long time. Just make sure nobody kicks the "empty" paper sack because there is a good chance that it will not be empty!
post #3 of 26
i second the paper bag or an old shoe with laces

my kitten loves both lol
post #4 of 26
I took an old sock and stuffed it with more old socks, added a touch of catnip, tied the end of the sock.....instant fun. Hope that makes sense.
post #5 of 26
Red and bleeding gums is a sign of gingivitis. Get your cat's teeth checked, or better yet get them cleaned of any tartar buildup under the edge of the gums.

As for toys, I'm picky too. I've found some I like - if you have a K-mart they carry a brand called Champions Breed that has a weird furry octopus looking toy. My cats love these. Any small balls that are bigger then the cats mouth and don't have bells or plastic bits in them are good. Mine like plastic Easter eggs - sometimes I put a couple pieces of dry food in the eggs to make them rattle.

Feathers are safe, as long as they're not dyed or larger feathers. Cats eat some feathers in if they're allowed outside and hunt birds. With other toys you'll just have to remove the parts you don't like. It's easy enough to remove eyes, ears, and buttons. If you can touch the toys (not in a plastic bag), check the stitching and how sturdy they are. And of course, you can always make your own toys.
I took an old sock that had a hole in the heel, filled the toe with some catnip and tied a knot in it. They love to grab the sock and kick it.
post #6 of 26
we can get some mint toys at pets at home they mostly have catnip in
post #7 of 26
My girls love their ping pong balls. You can put them in the bathtub to keep them contained, but mine don't bother much with them until they are on the regular floor.

Drinking straws.

An old dish towel.

Any type of box.

If you think they would like feather toys, etc. you can get some interactive ones and put them up when you are done playing.
post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
That's for the suggestions! LOL @ the paper bag! Their favorite hiding place for the longest time was a box that had a hole in it. I went to take it to the garbage one day and realized how HEAVY it was.

Turns out Thor was sleeping in there. Oops! Now I double-check every box!
post #9 of 26
Mine like soda boxes, can play for hours with those. Also target had some toys that don't have feathers or stings, buttons, etc that mine with play with. Or they like the foam like balls you can get in the bins at petsmart. Their favorite toy is a little hand stitched mouse. I only can find them at the specialty food store I go to though
post #10 of 26
I make cat toys and started do so because of the reasons you stated. If you hadn't noticed this thread, here's an option for you:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...rescue+rescuer
post #11 of 26
Thread Starter 
OOooh! Thanks! I will check that out and hopefully place an order as soon as my paypal account gets straightened out (should be in about a week!)

How is Hissy and Hubby doing btw?
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeysmom View Post
If you think they would like feather toys, etc. you can get some interactive ones and put them up when you are done playing.
My cats absolutely go nuts over Da Bird. I didn't think it would be that big of a hit, but they are crazy for it. But since it has feathers, I don't them play with it by themselves. It would be kinda hard for them to anyways, but I don't want them to keep biting it. I play with them for a little bit, then put it away in the closet where they can't get it. Maybe try getting something like that and putting it away so they can't get it when you're not around.
post #13 of 26
current faves in my house: the Yeoww catnip toys, the Cat Dancer, the Catnip Buddies & Da Bird - oh, & the laser pointer!
Cable also likes anything that 'skitters', like the Kitti Kurls & Pixel likes soft toys - i make little toys w/facial tissue for her & she loves them! Chip's my catnip fanatic - likes any & all catnip toys. Java & Firefox like things w/real fur - i get fur puffs from Plain Brown Tabby & they like those. i got Da Fur Thing the last time, & the feathers came off - but they still play w/the fur section. they also like those little glittery puffballs - i get them at Wal-Mart in the craft section.
post #14 of 26
laser pointer!! I only buy tow toys for my kitties, a laser pointer and ping pong ball. Other then that they have there kitty condo (guess thats a toy), old socks (great for dogs and cats!), paper bags, boxes, and empty tolet paper rolls. They love it! I have to say the best toy is the laser pointer! I have never laughed so hard. I can't tell if it is more of a toy for me or for them!
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeysmom View Post
My girls love their ping pong balls. You can put them in the bathtub to keep them contained
Ping Pong balls in a bathtub!
Where else in the world can you find valuable info like this?
post #16 of 26
I put ping pong balls in the bathtub before! When Gus was 4-6 months he would NOT let us sleep. I put the balls in the bathtub though, and that kept him occupied for hours.
post #17 of 26
I know exactly what you mean...I prefer toys with bells *inside*. Toys like the Kirbystick are wonderful (a catnip toy), I also have my own line of catnip and a catnip&valerian blend line of toys made with sturdy denim (or duck cloth) and sherpa fabric.

Furball Frenzy is a great ball toy with catnip, Hot Cats catnip toys, Honeysuckle cushions by Kitty Kottage, the Crawly Critter by West Paw, the large leopard mouse by Mutts N' Mittens...tons of toys out there that are by small companies, and not sold in the large super pet stores. I try to support small company manufacturer's
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix View Post
I prefer toys with bells *inside*.
I think these are dangerous. I've had male cats (big males tend to have larger jaws and teeth) chomp down and bust open the plastic balls with bells in them. And I'm all sure we've had occasions where we weren't looking or can't see where we're going and step on cat toys. I've had the plastic balls crack open and the bell roll off to who knows where.

If they want noisy toys mine get plastic eggs with dry cat food in them, at least then when the egg pops open I know it's something safe. You could also wash out small aspirin bottles and put a few grains of rice or beans in them or make a small hole in a ping pong ball and push a few grains of rice inside.

There's also the ever loved ball of paper that most cats love to bat around then shred. For real fun... donate a roll of toilet paper.
post #19 of 26
My cats love boxes, especially boxes where they barely fit in. One of my cats, (the one that chews everything) loves an old burlap bag filled with catnip I bought at Petco (if I remember correctly). It's refillable too. If you don't find one make one yourself using an old sock and fill it with catnip.

Claudia
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
I think these are dangerous. I've had male cats (big males tend to have larger jaws and teeth) chomp down and bust open the plastic balls with bells in them. And I'm all sure we've had occasions where we weren't looking or can't see where we're going and step on cat toys. I've had the plastic balls crack open and the bell roll off to who knows where.

If they want noisy toys mine get plastic eggs with dry cat food in them, at least then when the egg pops open I know it's something safe. You could also wash out small aspirin bottles and put a few grains of rice or beans in them or make a small hole in a ping pong ball and push a few grains of rice inside.

There's also the ever loved ball of paper that most cats love to bat around then shred. For real fun... donate a roll of toilet paper.
We aren't talking about the same thing.
I was talking about catnip toys with a bell *inside* instead of the many toys sold in the major super pet stores with bells attached on the outside.

Any toy should be inspected for damage on a regular basis and removed if there is damaqe, and some toys should only be given to the cat under supervision and removed when play time is over...ie wand toys. Sounds like plastic ball toys with bells aren't a good unsupervised toy for your cats.
post #21 of 26
Sierra and Serenity purrsonally recommend all of the toys that Pat carries in her store! Also, Da Byrd is outstanding fun!
post #22 of 26
Sierra and Serenity are some of the cutest cat models on my site ...I love the one of Sierra with her tongue out as she survey's her treats
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix View Post
Sounds like plastic ball toys with bells aren't a good unsupervised toy for your cats.
My cats have never even seen one. It's been 16-17 years since I've allow those, and tiny fur mice, near a cat.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
My cats have never even seen one. It's been 16-17 years since I've allow those, and tiny fur mice, near a cat.
Okay, I'm confused (nothing new!)...you said "I think these are dangerous. I've had male cats (big males tend to have larger jaws and teeth) chomp down and bust open the plastic balls with bells in them. And I'm all sure we've had occasions where we weren't looking or can't see where we're going and step on cat toys. I've had the plastic balls crack open and the bell roll off to who knows where."

That is the only reason I used "you" when replying.
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix View Post
Okay, I'm confused (nothing new!)
...
And my point was that I learned my lesson many years ago - for some reason my mom would buy cheap toys for their cats. None of those kitties are still alive (not related to toys, just how many year's it's been). I'm paranoid protective cat owner now for various reasons.
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
And my point was that I learned my lesson many years ago - for some reason my mom would buy cheap toys for their cats. None of those kitties are still alive (not related to toys, just how many year's it's been). I'm paranoid protective cat owner now for various reasons.
Well I think we finally both got our points across As a cat owner for over 50 years...who loves them so much I went into business, I tend to be pretty serious about the topic myself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Any good cat toys you can recommend?