No, dont eat those

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tubee has an odd obsession with mints. Any kind of mints we bring home we have to hide in drawers because he will dig them out and eat them. I brought home a bag of pink peppermints yesterday and he ripped a hole in the bag.
He acts the same way with mints as the other cat do with treats. He has never eatten one, but he has gotten a few good licks in and still wants them.
He can smell them from across the house, so if we ever take out any mints he comes running. It's not a problem I just think it is really funny and was wondering if any other cats had this obsession.

Manda

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had cats obsessed with the minty smell of BenGay. One would lick it off my Dad!

Catnip is a mint so that may partially explain Tubee's obsession.

BTW - those pink peppermints. Are they the tablet shaped ones that melt in your mouth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

BTW - those pink peppermints. Are they the tablet shaped ones that melt in your mouth?
Yep, those are the ones!! I love them, and apparently so does Tubee

Manda

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rosie's terrible for anything minty. She even stole a packet of chewing gum out my bag one day, and when i went to get some when at work i realised who had it. I panicked thinking she ate it, but when i dashed home they were all over the floor and licked to pieces

I keep it zipped up in the bag now

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tubee chewed a hole in the bag the mints were in!!! He is really persistant when he wants something. Silly Kitties!

manda

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mitzi loves mints too!

She always steals polos, but I have to watch her because she will try to eat them. So I hold them for her to lick

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We've had cats obsessed with the minty smell of BenGay. One would lick it off my Dad!
That is exactly what RIP Brownie would do. He loved that stuff. Butzie does it, too.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Java's a mint nut, too - she'll lick me when i use my peppermint lotion! she also shows great interest in my cigarettes [menthols] so i'm very careful to put them away in a place where she can't get to them.
otoh - she's not much for catnip

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This isn't TOO surprising, since catnip is a mint.

We had a cat with the Ben-Gay fetish, too.

(Old joke: What would you call a guy who drives a chariot and wears a pink cape? Ben Gay!)

Cats don't have the nose dogs do, but it's still pretty good. Imagine walking into a kitchen where dinner is cooking and not only being able to smell the total food, but every ingredient!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love mint. If I have Vicks they're all over me.

The last catnip that I bought smells like mint too. I can't read the label because the print is too small, but I think there are mint leaves in it.

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a (migraine) spray that has all kinds of good smelling stuff in it, including mint...my cats love it

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mine are terrible at this. I learned this with Tic Tacs. They both jumped up and tried CLAWING at my mouth and BITING to get in!!!!

Since then I've learned it's anything minty. Especially strong minty stuff. like Tic Tacs
. I have listerine spearmint mouthwash. After rinsing my mouth out the cats try to jump into the sink and lick it. They never get anything because I rinse the sink too but it's funny to watch.