Elevators - Question for those of you that walk your cats

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

As many know Cello is one of the TCS kitties who is normally very brave, goes for walks and on bike rides. I was living in a second floor apartment but and walked him down the stairs to the outside, however just moved to a 14th floor apartment. I took him out today and we had to take the elevator and he freaked out at the noise and the opening door and ran right back to our apartment and did not want to come out!!

Does anyone out there frequently take their kitty in the elevator? Im sure he is still nervous of everything from moving (although him and kismet took it VERY well) and they have a much bigger place now which is nice! However any tips or tricks would be appreciated, i'd hate it if i couldn't take him outside anymore.

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you in the physical shape where you could walk him up and down 14 flights of stairs? That'd be quite the exercise routine and would require a cat that likes to be held, but it might work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

Are you in the physical shape where you could walk him up and down 14 flights of stairs? That'd be quite the exercise routine and would require a cat that likes to be held, but it might work.
haha I am in decent shape, but I don't think i'd enjoy mysef very much and he can tolerate being held for about 5 minutes

laserray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I notice any new expeirience will have the same result.
Once the cat can ID the new situation and noises are not a threat they will calm down.

I would just keep trying and he will become comfortable.

I had to walk accross a rope bridge that moved with every step.
They boy cried and I to carry him both ways, while they girl cried the first time but walked it, the second time she had no troubles at all.

So, practice, practice, practice

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting him in a carrier and riding in the elevator and then walking him. My guys are show cats and have been on elevators all the time - they are in the carriers and have never been bothered by the doors/noise. Since they have never been outside the carrier on them I have no idea how they would react.

I know some of my cats probably would be unphased by them as they didn't care where they went

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to try to put him in the bike basket and take him down on the bike. I take him new places in the basket all the time and he is usually pretty happy about it so we'll see

laserray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the pet carrier is a great idea.
Better yet I have one that looks like a baby carrage,
The cat will have an escape place that he will feel safe in.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've found my answer. I take him on bike rides in my bike basket and he feels safe in there going in new places. Luckily it comes off! So i put him in there and carried him down in it, he was looking around like crazy but not screeching in his siamese way
and we happily got outside and he was happy again! So I'll just continue carrying him in the basket until he gets used to it, it's probably safer anyways since lots of people here have dogs, so if they get in the elevator he is elevated in my arms and not on the ground.