TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Do your cats go outside?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do your cats go outside? - Page 3

post #61 of 84
I've just come home from our local animal shelter.

There is a family sitting out on the front porch, making all sorts of phone calls. They were driving down one of our local streets when a cat ran out in front of them. They heard a thump under the car, and the driver saw the cat doing cartwheels in the street. He pulled over and stopped, hoping to find the cat OK, or to get it help if it wasn't. It showed the signs of a broken back--front legs moving, back legs not. He tried to pick up the kitty to move it out of the street, and got bitten. His wife tried, and also got bitten. They called animal control, who came and picked up the cat and brought it to the shelter.

At the shelter, because of the injuries and the bites, they put the cat to sleep. Its brain will be tested for rabies.

If the owner of the cat is found, he will be liable for any medical expenses to the family and may get a citation for letting his cat roam free.

So, you have a traumatized family, a dead cat, an owner in a liability situation, and possibly some pretty serious treatments in store for the family.

Tell me again how it's cruel to keep your cat indoors.
post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
I've just come home from our local animal shelter.

There is a family sitting out on the front porch, making all sorts of phone calls. They were driving down one of our local streets when a cat ran out in front of them. They heard a thump under the car, and the driver saw the cat doing cartwheels in the street. He pulled over and stopped, hoping to find the cat OK, or to get it help if it wasn't. It showed the signs of a broken back--front legs moving, back legs not. He tried to pick up the kitty to move it out of the street, and got bitten. His wife tried, and also got bitten. They called animal control, who came and picked up the cat and brought it to the shelter.

At the shelter, because of the injuries and the bites, they put the cat to sleep. Its brain will be tested for rabies.

If the owner of the cat is found, he will be liable for any medical expenses to the family and may get a citation for letting his cat roam free.

So, you have a traumatized family, a dead cat, an owner in a liability situation, and possibly some pretty serious treatments in store for the family.

Tell me again how it's cruel to keep your cat indoors.
What a terrible story! But I completely agree with your point. Cats should be indoor-only (unless they're on a leash).
post #63 of 84
Nope, they are both indoor-only. Sometimes we take Chloe out on a harness but she isn't too interested. She just wants to lay in the grass and eat it. We would take Mattie out too but we don't have a harness big enough for her at the moment.
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
Nope, they are both indoor-only. Sometimes we take Chloe out on a harness but she isn't too interested. She just wants to lay in the grass and eat it. We would take Mattie out too but we don't have a harness big enough for her at the moment.
I had problems finding a harness big enough for Murray, too, but several people recommended something called a "walking jacket" that is supposed to be better than traditional harnesses - and, it comes in an extra-large size. So I ordered one for Murray. I don't have the web address handy, but if you google "walking jacket," and maybe "cats," it should come up.
post #65 of 84
Huggables goes on road trips with us, we take him out of his carrier but he is always supervised! He has been declawed so we know he is a better indoor cat than out in the wild. We lost him in Yellowstone because he ran out of his cat harness but looong story short we got him back, what a relief! I was wondering is there any good harness out there so our cat doesn't come lose again??? Thanks
post #66 of 84
i let tabitha go out from an early age as i didn't know better then either. however she rarely goes out of the back garden and spends far more time indoors since her sparring partner crossed the bridge nearly a year ago.

i have had 2 cats chose to stay indoor only in the past and my 2 boys only go into the garden under close supervision and harnessed.

i wish tabitha didn't go out at all but she would be so miserable being indoor only now. she has spent 9 years having the choice to go out. she is in every night by the time it gets dark. apparently more cats are involved in road accidents in the early hours of the night.

i know now that you can give your cats happy, healthy and fulfilled lives being indoor only. they enjoy plenty of toys, plenty of playtime with us and have each other for amusement and company too. oh and milo is on spider watch under a stool as i type this, so they get to 'hunt' indoors aswell.
post #67 of 84
Mine are indoor only. They will always be indoor only. They have a very good life inside. They have plenty of space. Lots of windows and 2 staircases to run up and down. 4 cat trees, comfy beds, toys and playmates.
I tried to leash train my cats and they only flopped on their sides to be dragged across the floor. I gave it up.
Indoors is safe. There are people in the world who hate cats and torture them. Not mention open sheds or garages with antifreeze or other poisons. Cat fights. Dogs. Wild animals. People who sell cats for animal testing or experiments.
Someone at the shelter told me they saw a huge bird swoop down and take a small cat.
post #68 of 84
Up until recently I allowed all three of my babies access outdoors whenever they wanted. I felt it was unfair to keep them in. I also thought the transition would be darn near impossible since all three had never known any other way of life. FATAL MISTAKE! Just shy of two months ago my darling Mi-Mi was mauled by a neighbors dog right in front of me and I could not save her. And let me tell you, no matter how you slice it, it was my fault because I knew in my heart that conditions in my neighborhood were getting more dangerous due to all the dogs and I put off doing the right thing. I have to deal with that every day of my life.
post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by meownstuff View Post
Up until recently I allowed all three of my babies access outdoors whenever they wanted. I felt it was unfair to keep them in. I also thought the transition would be darn near impossible since all three had never known any other way of life. FATAL MISTAKE! Just shy of two months ago my darling Mi-Mi was mauled by a neighbors dog right in front of me and I could not save her. And let me tell you, no matter how you slice it, it was my fault because I knew in my heart that conditions in my neighborhood were getting more dangerous due to all the dogs and I put off doing the right thing. I have to deal with that every day of my life.
I'm so sorry to hear that about your cat and I almost lost mine because I gave him a little leeway or freedom now he is safe with me and I will always think of him when I am gone from the house.
post #70 of 84
Our feral babies are outside only cats as we tried bringing them inside long ago - it didn't go well - they hated being inside. They always stay on our carport or in the crawl space under our house.

Sunny is an indoor cat only. He is not equipped to be able to handle the rigors of life outdoors. He also has absolutely no fear. He could get into all types of trouble with the busy street in front of our house. He's also been diagnosed with Bartonella's disease which he got from the heavy flea infestation he had when we found him. He'll be cured after he completes two more rounds of antibiotics.
post #71 of 84
None of my cats go outside..I live on a fairly busy street, but I also live close to wooded areas that have foxes, raccoons, and worse Fishers. I would rather be safe then sorry...
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tierre0 View Post
None of my cats go outside..I live on a fairly busy street, but I also live close to wooded areas that have foxes, raccoons, and worse Fishers. I would rather be safe then sorry...
There you go!
post #73 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by booblies View Post
Huggables goes on road trips with us, we take him out of his carrier but he is always supervised! He has been declawed so we know he is a better indoor cat than out in the wild. We lost him in Yellowstone because he ran out of his cat harness but looong story short we got him back, what a relief! I was wondering is there any good harness out there so our cat doesn't come lose again??? Thanks
I've been told that something called a "walking jacket" is more secure than a standard harness. They're available online. I don't have the URL handy, but if you google "walking jacket" and "cats," you should be able to find them. They're not cheap, but if it's indeed more secure, then it should be worthwhile for you.
post #74 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrplej View Post
I've been told that something called a "walking jacket" is more secure than a standard harness. They're available online. I don't have the URL handy, but if you google "walking jacket" and "cats," you should be able to find them. They're not cheap, but if it's indeed more secure, then it should be worthwhile for you.
Thanks! I am now thinking of color and soft or hard sided!!
http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/...ingjacket.html
post #75 of 84
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how callous people can be towards animals.
I'm not callous towards animals but i'm not into wrapping them up in cotton wool and treating them like babies either. Cats are intelligent animals who instinctively know how to look afer themselves. My first two cats were outdoor and both lived happily and healthily until the age of 16.
post #76 of 84
When I got my kitties, I did web research, and concluded that there are so many uncontrollable hazards outside that I'd keep them inside. However, I'd like to leash-train them so I could take them for walks (or let them take me for walks ).

Ideally, I'd like to set up an outdoor enclosure too.

For now, they have to be content with lounging by the windows and enjoying the view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booblies View Post
Thanks! I am now thinking of color and soft or hard sided!!
http://metpet.com/shopsite_sc/store/...ingjacket.html
I was looking at those too. I'm wondering if the hard-sided jackets are sufficiently flexible to fit securely.
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_L View Post
I was looking at those too. I'm wondering if the hard-sided jackets are sufficiently flexible to fit securely.
Well I just ordered it because I wanted the most safety features for my Huggables so I will let you know in a few weeks how it is!!!
post #78 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by roobear View Post
Cats are intelligent animals who instinctively know how to look afer themselves.
This would be true, had cats evolved in a land of 4,000 lb, 60 mph predators.
post #79 of 84
Growing up, I took care of two "outdoor" cats (aka ferals that I tamed and fed), but unfortunately could not get them to adopt an indoor life. They did live very long, happy lives, but they were the exception -- while I was taking care of Tiger and Nightie, I must have fed and cared for more than 10 other ferals during the years. These other cats would always just disappear mysteriously.

It broke my heart when Nightie, one of my longtime outdoor cats, passed away last year at the age of 16. My neighbors found her resting peacefully under one of their bushes, so we were able to give her a proper burial. Her sister and best friend Tiger disappeared in April and I haven't seen her since. Being quite old for a cat, I can only assume that Tiger passed away also. It still makes me so sad when I think about how I will never know what happened to her, and how she won't be buried next to Nightie. I just think, if she had not been an outdoor cat, I could have eased any pain she felt in her final days.

Basically, I will never ever let my cats and any future cats outdoors, unless it's using an enclosure or leash. I don't think I can go through losing another cat to the outdoors, no matter how long their life is. If I let them outside, I feel I'm not upholding the promise I made to take the very best care of them that I can.
post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by roobear View Post
I'm not callous towards animals but i'm not into wrapping them up in cotton wool and treating them like babies either. Cats are intelligent animals who instinctively know how to look after themselves. My first two cats were outdoor and both lived happily and healthily until the age of 16.
Because my first 6 cats were strays/ferals, I did not want them to be cooped indoors knowing they would miss the outside. After fixing them, they have stayed safe within the property. Then I rescued 5 orphan kittens. I thought of keeping them inside thinking being raised by a human they would not be fit to handle the outdoors. The kittens were taught and trained by the older cats and today I have no worries about the little ones safety.
post #81 of 84
For those of you looking for walking jackets for cats, a friend on the site put me onto the idea when we were struggling to find a harness small enough for Lily. It's a great idea and although not escape proof (she is quite tiny), it is certainly more secure than a standard harness for her. We got a harness designed for a rabbit as it was more her size. This is Lily modelling it

post #82 of 84
Lilly gets a big hug from Huggables the Cat for so nice modeling!!
post #83 of 84
We sometimes let Jinx out in our fenced in backyard. But other than those occasional times, he's indoor-only, and we might not let him in the backyard anymore either... one of the neighbors let's their cat roam, he's actually a pretty mean cat, and he has recently figured out that he can climb over our fence. It actually really ticks me off but I'm not going to risk them getting in a fight.

The good thing is, Jinx doesn't mind staying inside, so it's not an issue.
post #84 of 84
Hi,
we live in an apartment in Singapore.Our Nacho goes out and walks along the corridor on a leash.We have an air well and so there is some fresh air.I need to keep an eye on him as at times he wants to jump into the other apartments.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Do your cats go outside?