TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › still SCARED....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

still SCARED....

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I'm pretty sure it gets annoying reading this all the time, but I'm also pretty sure you've all been there...well most of you!

I had another scare ... this time in PERSON.

My landlord actually came and knocked on my door today and I think it may have something to do with the cats! I never opened the door and I think they heard the boyfriend in the background, but I'm not so sure!

I'm a complete wreck! I don't know what to do!

I cannot live or think about living without Khi & Jellow. I'm completely in love with them two! I'm terrified

What could I do? Khi & Jellow are always in the window and they LOVE it!
I feel horrible for making them get off the window.

Do you have ideas?? Something, ANYTHING I could do?!


Thank you all SO much
post #2 of 21
I take it cats aren't allowed at your place?

Then move?
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensic View Post
I take it cats aren't allowed at your place?

Then move?
I really can't afford to move any where other then where I live.
It's affordable and beautiful here.

The thing is, they were thinking about allowing cats here and i figured I'd better go find my match, and I did. And now they're saying that they don't allow pets =(
post #4 of 21
Wow that could be dangerous as far as: Where are you gonna live if you get an eviction notice? Where would you board the kitties until you get a place. If you cant afford to move then you might want to reconsider keeping the kitties until you can. I feel so sorry for you having to make these decisions. I love my pets and when I moved that was a requirement for me but now I live in country so it is good for pets! Good Luck!!!
post #5 of 21
Well I think the first thing you should do is call a trusted friend, or maybe even discuss with your boyfriend if it is possible that they take in your cats IF you ever receive an eviction notice. They should be ready to take them in and should be able to provide a decent home for them until you manage to find a new place. I think this is much better than having them go to a shelter.

Secondly, it would be great if you could keep an eye out for affordable housing that allows pets. This will make life much easier if you are ever forced to move. Make friends with some real estate agents or even make arrangements to try and stay with a friend if you are ever stuck in between houses.

Is it possible to live with your parents for a while?

Well that said, I do hope you will never get kicked out, and that your apartment changes its anti-pet rule. I know how stressful it is for both owner and cats to have to move houses... Best of luck!
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyWukong View Post
Well I think the first thing you should do is call a trusted friend, or maybe even discuss with your boyfriend if it is possible that they take in your cats IF you ever receive an eviction notice. They should be ready to take them in and should be able to provide a decent home for them until you manage to find a new place. I think this is much better than having them go to a shelter.

Secondly, it would be great if you could keep an eye out for affordable housing that allows pets. This will make life much easier if you are ever forced to move. Make friends with some real estate agents or even make arrangements to try and stay with a friend if you are ever stuck in between houses.

Is it possible to live with your parents for a while?

Well that said, I do hope you will never get kicked out, and that your apartment changes its anti-pet rule. I know how stressful it is for both owner and cats to have to move houses... Best of luck!

Yeah its horrible. I feel as if I live everyday in fear . I can't live with my mother...she lives in the same apartment builiding I DO =(.

Its so horrible.

I'm almost on the verge of loosing it.
post #7 of 21
Relax... I'm sure that you know animals are very attuned to our senses. If you panic or are unhappy, your cats will get stressed out as well and it may be harmful to their health.

I say live each day as it comes, don't panic unnecessarily. Life will go on, no matter what. Just block out the panic and think logically. Do all that you need to do, as per my advice above. I've been thru this before (kinda) so I know what steps are best to be taken. Don't wait till the last minute to find a place to house your cats. Be prepared, but do it in a calm manner.

Remember, you are in control of your cats' destiny, and they are counting on you. I'm sure you, like every cat lover, would want the best for them. So stay strong!
post #8 of 21
So sorry you are faced with this. It is important to be prepared in case something were to happen. That's a good idea even if you had no worries.

My daughter is faced with this very same problem. She is living in a place for a few months that does not allow pets. It's a small town and no place would allow pets. She is sneaking them in and keeping the place as clean as possible with the cats.

I thought about putting some window covering on the glass so you can't see the cats from the outside. They sell it at the home improvement centers like Lowes and Home Depot, maybe hardware stores or car parts stores. It's that plastic film that is darker like you put in the windows of cars. They make some that you can't see in the window, it reflects the sun. If they said something about the window film, you could say you work at night and need the windows tinted so you can sleep in the day.

Hope that made some sense. Here is a link....there are several different types. Privacy reflective and some that darken. You can see out but others can't see in.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...361&lpage=none
post #9 of 21
If you cannot move definitely make it so the kitties cannot be seen from the outside... else you're only asking for trouble.
post #10 of 21
You really should have gotten the matter of the lease settled before you got the cats. Landlords are within their legal rights in prohibiting pets, and if you break the terms of your lease, your landlord has every right to evict you.

That being said, you have taken on the responsibility of the cats. The first thing you should do is to develop a contingency plan--some friend or relative who could take the cats temporarily if the landlord insists that you get rid of them. Also, you should start looking for cat-friendly accommodations.

Let this be a lesson to all--do not take on the responsibility of pets until/unless you are ready, and this includes living somewhere that allows them.
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane's Pal View Post
You really should have gotten the matter of the lease settled before you got the cats. Landlords are within their legal rights in prohibiting pets, and if you break the terms of your lease, your landlord has every right to evict you.

That being said, you have taken on the responsibility of the cats. The first thing you should do is to develop a contingency plan--some friend or relative who could take the cats temporarily if the landlord insists that you get rid of them. Also, you should start looking for cat-friendly accommodations.

Let this be a lesson to all--do not take on the responsibility of pets until/unless you are ready, and this includes living somewhere that allows them.
Thank you all so much for helping me out on this!! You've all calmed me down amazingly! My boyfriend went and spoke to the landlord today and it seems like he really doesn't mind the cats the thing he's really worried about is the dogs! There have been a lot of dogs barking and what not and that he's not allowing. So I assume if I clean my house and keep it spotless like I always do, he won't be worried.

And you're right Zane's Pal, I should have settled it first. But when he said they're working onmaking them okay around here, I was so excited I had to get my Jellow And then Khi followed. I'm sure all you know the joy of that.

This being said, this does not mean that I'm not still terrified. I am. I worry all the time, but for my babies...I'm gonna try to be strong and hide the fear

thank you guys!
post #12 of 21
if you have them declared a companion animal... lets say you have an anxiety issue , or other " disability " .... then they are no longer a pet , which means your landlord can do squat about it or face breaking disability laws ( its section 504 of the disability laws ) . You would have to go to your doctor or a therapist and have them agree to sign the required paperwork.

You would also need to contact your local office of civil rights - 504 division.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/regmail.html this link will show you what region your in and how to contact them . Call and ask about a therapeutic companion animal and what it takes to get your cats declared one.

We had to do this before we bought the house ... Our last apartment didnt allow animals but we had ours declared a therapeutic companion animal because the bulk of our children have Autism and losing their cats would have been just awful.
post #13 of 21
We lived in a place that didn't allow pets for 8 months and we had Milo. He also loved the window. Thankfully we never got caught.

We just had to keep getting Milo out of the window and eventually he stopped going in.
post #14 of 21
I think this is a good lesson to everyone - DO NOT get a pet unless you are allowed to and have written permission. It is unfair to your pet who you are making a lifelong commitment to.
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys View Post
if you have them declared a companion animal... lets say you have an anxiety issue , or other " disability " .... then they are no longer a pet , which means your landlord can do squat about it or face breaking disability laws ( its section 504 of the disability laws ) . You would have to go to your doctor or a therapist and have them agree to sign the required paperwork.

You would also need to contact your local office of civil rights - 504 division.

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/regmail.html this link will show you what region your in and how to contact them . Call and ask about a therapeutic companion animal and what it takes to get your cats declared one.

We had to do this before we bought the house ... Our last apartment didnt allow animals but we had ours declared a therapeutic companion animal because the bulk of our children have Autism and losing their cats would have been just awful.

I, too, used the "disability" loophole to be able to keep Murray in the apt. complex I lived in at the time he moved in with me, which didn't allow pets. I suffer from depression, and I got my psychiatrist to write a "prescription" stating that a "companion animal" would be therapeutic for me. (And it's totally true!) There was absolutely no problem with the landlords when I presented this argument.
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrplej View Post
I, too, used the "disability" loophole to be able to keep Murray in the apt. complex I lived in at the time he moved in with me, which didn't allow pets. I suffer from depression, and I got my psychiatrist to write a "prescription" stating that a "companion animal" would be therapeutic for me. (And it's totally true!) There was absolutely no problem with the landlords when I presented this argument.
Depending on where you live, you may have to prove that your animal has gone through a training program as a disability service animal.
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahp View Post
I think this is a good lesson to everyone - DO NOT get a pet unless you are allowed to and have written permission. It is unfair to your pet who you are making a lifelong commitment to.
When someone comes in to the shelter wanting to adopt an animal, if they live in an apartment, the shelter has to speak to the manager before they will allow the adoption.
post #18 of 21
I ended up leaving my last apartment because of this. I was allowed two pets when I went in and I had two cats. Later I got a third cat and a dog. When I was confronted about this, I took the extra cat to my sister's and the dog to my brother's. They agreed to look after the pets until I could move. I requested a release from my lease and it was granted. They were probably glad that the cat lady was leaving! I rented the house I'm living in now and the landlord is OK with the pets. However, I never told him that I was bringing in the pregnant stray. Well, eventually I hope to buy a house and then I can do what I want!
I'm sure it was the dog that got me into trouble, because of the barking.
post #19 of 21
I know I'm new here, but there's another thing you may want to consider:
If there is anyone living in your building that has cat allergies, every time a heater or air conditioner is turned on, you may be spreading the cat dander to them.
I suggest you come clean to the landlord, especially since your boyfriend has already spoken with him. If you speak openly and honestly, and present your case as it really is (that you keep a clean home and your animals aren't loud, disruptive or destructive), providing you're a good tenant, he may grant you the ability to keep your cats on the premises. That way your babies can sit in the window with the sunshine on them any time they want
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleMG View Post
However, I never told him that I was bringing in the pregnant stray. Well, eventually I hope to buy a house and then I can do what I want!
Might your current landlord be receptive to the idea of a lease-purchase?
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrrplej View Post
I, too, used the "disability" loophole to be able to keep Murray in the apt. complex I lived in at the time he moved in with me, which didn't allow pets. I suffer from depression, and I got my psychiatrist to write a "prescription" stating that a "companion animal" would be therapeutic for me. (And it's totally true!) There was absolutely no problem with the landlords when I presented this argument.
Our use of the law was true too... we had lived in an apartment for 5 years , with permission from the landlord to have cats. The landlord sold the building ..... the new landlord started tearing down the apartments around us , it became a bad living situation. We were a year from our 5 year plan to buy a house and we had to do something.

We found an apartment that allowed pets but with a HUGE deposit (per cat ) .... one of the kids therapists told us about the 504 accommodation . We contacted the landlord and told them what we were going to do . they were fine with it. The therapist wrote a note and that was it.

Its a year later and we now own so we don't ever have to go through that again.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › still SCARED....