Couscous!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I discovered couscous yesterday, it was delicious especially the chilli con carne that they made.

I was wondering how you eat it. The package i have is very easy to follow it, but i wanted to know if you eat it plain or have some type of sauce or something with it?

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always use couscous since I find it way lighter than rice or other side dishes. It's so versatile too. It's great plain with spicy Indian sauces (ie: butter chicken type sauce) or Middle Eastern influences.

You can just throw in some meat done on the BBQ (chicken/steak), chickpeas, green onion, almonds and a little curry and butter.

I also will mix it with baby spinach, tomotoes, cucumbers, onion, fresh herbs and your favourite salad dressing (great with Kraft's Sundried Tomatoe Vinaigrette).

It's so easy to prepare. Just boil 1 cup of water. Then add 1 cup of couscous, remove from burner and cover with a lid. Let stand for a couple of minutes so couscous will absorb the water. Then, fluff with a fork, drizzle some olive oil/butter etc. and spice it up.

You can also substitute the water with chicken/beef or vegetable stock.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love couscous! And it's so good for you!

Some friends had me over to dinner and they had mixed it with lentils and fresh mint from their garden and tomatoes and feta cheese and olive oil for a wonderful, refreshing salad.

YUM!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we were in college in France, one night every week (Thursday, I think) was couscous night. They just gave us a bowl of couscous, and you had your choice of mild or hot tomoto sauce. The sauce was not what we think of as tomato sauce, but a lot closer to stewed tomatos, with more vegetables added in. I liked it a lot.

You can also use couscous to make tabouli salad, which is essentially the couscous with oil, cucumbers, cilantro, tomatoes, and other such stuff. It's best if you leave it in the refrigerator for a day before you eat it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put sauteed veggies in mine and then a light tomato (marinara) type sauce on it. Or stewed veggies - I make ratatouille in the summer.

Or.. I make Moroccan lamb stew and put raisins and toasted almonds in the couscous and put the stew on top! Yummy!! ( You could use chicken instead of lamb, too.)

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ooh, couscous. Now I am going to have to buy some from the store so I can eat it! It's pretty good. I am not crazy over it, but my SO loves it. Whenever I made it I've only just followed the directions on the box, but it looks like I'm going to have to look at one of those recipes and do something with it.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just recently discovered Israeli couscous, and it's yummy! Heavier than the Moroccan couscous though, but nice with stews and casseroles.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend used to make couscous all the time - when her mom was too drunk to cook
It was pretty good though. She'd come out and we'd sit on some rocks and eat. Haven't had it since though, and that was about 7-8 years ago.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently bought some Israeli coucous too. The salad with fresh veg sounds good but no ripe tomatoes yet!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a recipe that I make all the time!

Its a modified version of this recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._35493,00.html

1 (10-ounce) box instant couscous
6 ounces marinated artichoke heart quarters - drain and reserve liquid
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into large dice
1-2 TBL lemon juice
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper

Measure the artichoke juice, lemon juice, and olive oil into a measuring cup. Put your couscous in a large bowl, add the juice/oil and the remaining amount of cold water necessary to make the total amount of water you're supposed to add. Stir it up to get it all moist, and let it soak up the juice. It will be crunchy at first but if you use hot water it will get soggy.

Once the juice has almost completely absorbed add the artichokes, tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, and green onions if you want them.

Mix it all up, season with S&P and a little cayenne.

Put it in the fridge for an hour or two until the couscous isnt crunchy and enjoy!!