TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My Neighbours are so Ignorant!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Neighbours are so Ignorant!

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
The people who live across the hall from me are so ignorant!

Earlier this year they were leaving their garbage bags out in the hallway, including bags of poopy diapers which stunk up the hallway.

I complained about that because it was disgusting and I don't pay $700 per month to live in a building made to look like a ghetto by having trash bags lining the hallway walls.

They stopped putting their garbage in the hallway, but then in early February they started to spray Lysol in the halls instead. I guess to cover the odour of their smelly diapers.

It was making me so sick that I thought I was going to suffocate because I couldn't breath. It affected me to the point that I couldn't go out and do things because I didn't have the breath to do it and I was using my rescue inhaler dozens of times per day wheras before I went weeks and months without using it.

I wrote a notice and put it under their door asking them to please stop and explained how it affected my breathing because I have asthma. I also contacted the agency and explained the situation.

They did stop, but by then the damage was done. My lungs were so inflammed that I had to go back on my steroid inhaler after several years of not having to take it.

It's only been in the last couple of weeks that my lungs have started to feel better and my asthma symptoms have nearly disappeared.

A few days ago they started back up with the freaking Lysol!!!

I woke up this morning short of breath and coughing up chunks of phlegm. Gross I know.

I just wrote them another note and put it under their door and this time I told them to please if they have to spray something, to use "Oust" and even offered to supply it for them. In fact I put a can in a bag and hung it on their door knob!

With neighbours like the ones that keep moving across the hall from me, I can certainly understand why some people actually go and kill their neighbours! I'll admit the thought has crossed my mind a time or two!!!
post #2 of 27
I feel your pain. I lived in apartment buildings for years, and it can be hell with obnoxious neighbors. The only solution is to buy your own house, which I did. Actually, I still have an apartment upstairs, but I am the landlord, so what I say goes. I have a quiet tenant, who pays her rent on time, so I have no complaints.

I can relate to the toxic fumes as I have reactions to fragrances, lysol, and all of that stuff. But in my office, everyone thinks they have the right to impose that stink on everyone. They are so inconsiderate.

I am surprised you can take oust. I use all natural sprays like simply orange, or I forget soemthing else with essential oils of citrus. they sell them at the health food stores.
post #3 of 27
I would send another certified letter to the management. Your HEALTH is being affected seriously. You also might look into a lawyer and see what can be done.

One thing to deal with trash in the halls; quite another when it affects your health.

Maybe you can figure out how to get your own small house so you don't have to deal with apartment people
post #4 of 27
I agree with what Gail said. Buy a house as soon as you can so you don't have to put up with this crap. If you can afford $700/rent, you could afford a pretty decent house (that was the rent I was paying when I bought a house last January....and now my mortgage is just slightly higher than my rent was). Not only do you not have to put up with obnoxious neighbors....but you'll be paying off your own mortgage not somebody else's. And you won't have a landlord dictating how you can live.....ie you can have as many pets as you want!
post #5 of 27
I know how you feel I used to live in a Apartment with Halls and the smells were terrible. I would end uo in the Hospital if I lived in your Building. Lysol sets my Asthma off real bad. One of the reasons we want a House is we will be able to do what we want. They have to have Pics of every Cat we have here and we have alot of Rules. Tell the Mgr what they are doing.
post #6 of 27
I don't understand why they think they should spray lysol in the publis hallways!? What does that even accomplish?

Some people are wacked.
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike View Post
I agree with what Gail said. Buy a house as soon as you can so you don't have to put up with this crap. If you can afford $700/rent, you could afford a pretty decent house (that was the rent I was paying when I bought a house last January....and now my mortgage is just slightly higher than my rent was). Not only do you not have to put up with obnoxious neighbors....but you'll be paying off your own mortgage not somebody else's. And you won't have a landlord dictating how you can live.....ie you can have as many pets as you want!
There aren't very many places in Canada where you could get a house that would only cost you $700 a month mortgage, then there are the taxes and mortgage insurance as well as upkeep. Due to her health, Linda would also have to hire out the yard work and snow removal for the winter and I believe she is on a fixed income so I don't see buying a house an option for her. Canadian housing prices are very high. We live in a little bungalow 1100 sq. ft. and the selling price right now would be around $320,000. The new townhouses being built in our little town 1 hour away from Toronto are starting at $349,900.
post #8 of 27
too bad you couldn't include a phlegm wad w/your note... but i guess that'd be too antagonistic!
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
too bad you couldn't include a phlegm wad w/your note... but i guess that'd be too antagonistic!
EWWWW!!!!!!
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
There aren't very many places in Canada where you could get a house that would only cost you $700 a month mortgage, then there are the taxes and mortgage insurance as well as upkeep. Due to her health, Linda would also have to hire out the yard work and snow removal for the winter and I believe she is on a fixed income so I don't see buying a house an option for her. Canadian housing prices are very high. We live in a little bungalow 1100 sq. ft. and the selling price right now would be around $320,000. The new townhouses being built in our little town 1 hour away from Toronto are starting at $349,900.
Yes, thank you.

There is no way I can buy a house. I am on a fixed income that bearly meets my monthly needs and have just recently declared bankruptcy. Even if I were working at my job right now I still wouldn't be able to afford a house. The 1 or 2 bedroom houses here average about $175,000. That's near impossible to afford on one income. And if it's listed at $175,000, expect it to sell for closer to $200,000. If you want a nice area of town, look at adding $100,000 to that.

My brother bought his house 10 years ago for $72,000 and today it's valued at $200,000 and would likely sell for $225,000 or more if he put it on the market.

Even condos are outrageous at about $150,000 or more for a one bedroom and living in a condo is just like living in an apartment as far as I'm concerned.

And like you said, not only is there mortgage, but also taxes and utilities (which an cost $300 or more per month especially in the winter for heating). Then there is the upkeep of the yard (lawn mowing, raking, shoveling snow), and then general maintenance of repairs as needed. I physically can't do that kind of stuff and I'd have to pay someone to come in and do it.
post #11 of 27
take it up with your landlord for sure they gotta do something about it if it's affecting your health! stupid rude people...
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
I called the rental agency just now and talked to the property manager.

The first time I complained earlier this year about it they sent the caretakers to talk to them. That is why the spraying stopped.

They are going to send the caretakers back again. If they keep it up after that they are going to get an official warning letter from the agency telling them that if they don't stop that they will be evicted.
post #13 of 27
good show someone who does something and gets a person who does something in return!!
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
There aren't very many places in Canada where you could get a house that would only cost you $700 a month mortgage, then there are the taxes and mortgage insurance as well as upkeep. Due to her health, Linda would also have to hire out the yard work and snow removal for the winter and I believe she is on a fixed income so I don't see buying a house an option for her. Canadian housing prices are very high. We live in a little bungalow 1100 sq. ft. and the selling price right now would be around $320,000. The new townhouses being built in our little town 1 hour away from Toronto are starting at $349,900.
Wow....sorry didn't know house prices were so high up there. Down here, I got a 1200 sq house w/ mostly finished basement for $105,000. Including taxes and insurance, my payments are just $145/mo. than what I was paying for rent.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike View Post
Wow....sorry didn't know house prices were so high up there. Down here, I got a 1200 sq house w/ mostly finished basement for $105,000. Including taxes and insurance, my payments are just $145/mo. than what I was paying for rent.
Wow, what a deal. Our first townhouse we bought in 1981 was an expensive end unit and we paid a whopping $49,900 for it. That same townhouse now would be closer to 300-350K
post #16 of 27
Eeew. If they are spraying the hallway to mask smells from behind their apartment door, imagine what it smells like IN their apartment! How do people live like that?! It's awful that your health suffered as a result of their gross living habits. Thank goodness your building management is taking action.
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Wow, what a deal. Our first townhouse we bought in 1981 was an expensive end unit and we paid a whopping $49,900 for it. That same townhouse now would be closer to 300-350K
mine was even cheaper - a 927 sq ft 2bed/1bath/1car garage for around $60,000. even today, i doubt i could get more than $80,000-$90,000 for it...
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
mine was even cheaper - a 927 sq ft 2bed/1bath/1car garage for around $60,000. even today, i doubt i could get more than $80,000-$90,000 for it...
The cost of living in most places in Canada, especially Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are way, way up there. Winnipeg isn't far behind them.

We are positively taxed to death up here. I saw on the news that 30% of the price of each litre of gas that we buy is taxes of some kind. Same with cigarettes. I nearly fell over when I saw a guy buying 2 packages of cigarettes and paying over $25 for them. I think they are $13.00/package of 50. Probably 1/2 is taxes.
post #19 of 27
Wow..I didn't realize Canada was so expensive.

Thats one of the (few) good reasons to live in central Illinois, real estate is relatively cheap. I lucked out because this house has been totally remodeled and updated....so I won't have to do anything for a long time. Which is a good thing, because being an accountant, I'm not exactly Bob Villa!
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
The cost of living in most places in Canada, especially Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are way, way up there. Winnipeg isn't far behind them.

We are positively taxed to death up here. I saw on the news that 30% of the price of each litre of gas that we buy is taxes of some kind. Same with cigarettes. I nearly fell over when I saw a guy buying 2 packages of cigarettes and paying over $25 for them. I think they are $13.00/package of 50. Probably 1/2 is taxes.
gosh, i thought cigs were pricey here! i just bought a carton today - total of 200 cigarettes, just a few cents over $50... so that about $0.25 per cigaratte. yours are $0.26 per cigarette, so about the same - but i buy an expensive brand. off brands can be quite a bit cheaper. they're also cheaper just north of here, in Oklahoma - used to be worth the gas to drive up there, but w/gas prices the way they are, i don't know if that still would hold true.
post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
gosh, i thought cigs were pricey here! i just bought a carton today - total of 200 cigarettes, just a few cents over $50... so that about $0.25 per cigaratte. yours are $0.26 per cigarette, so about the same - but i buy an expensive brand. off brands can be quite a bit cheaper. they're also cheaper just north of here, in Oklahoma - used to be worth the gas to drive up there, but w/gas prices the way they are, i don't know if that still would hold true.
I must apologize. It's been so long since I smoked that I forgot how many cigarettes are in a package! LOL

There are 25 cigarettes in a package. 8 packages per carton (200 cigarettes total).

A package of 25 cigarettes is almost $13.00 which is 52 cents per cigarette.

This map is 2 years old and the prices have gone up drastically and a carton is over $100 in Manitoba now. But it shows a rough idea of the prices from a couple years ago.

2006 Cigarette Prices in Canada (PDF File)

.
.
.
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
I must apologize. It's been so long since I smoked that I forgot how many cigarettes are in a package! LOL

There are 25 cigarettes in a package. 8 packages per carton (200 cigarettes total).

A package of 25 cigarettes is almost $13.00 which is 52 cents per cigarette.

This map is 2 years old and the prices have gone up drastically and a carton is over $100 in Manitoba now. But it shows a rough idea of the prices from a couple years ago.

2006 Cigarette Prices in Canada (PDF File)

.
.
.
no need to apologize... i should've done my math better, anyway. we have 20 cigarettes to a pack down here, 10 packs to a carton. by the pack, they're higher - $5.83 per pack for my brand. so if i buy by the carton, it's like getting a pack free, & then some.
post #23 of 27
Boy, I had no idea that Canada housing was so expensive either. Is it that way everywhere, or just in the big cities? In the US, in densly populated areas like the big cities, it is outrageous, but the further away you get from that the less expensive it is to live. Phila. suburbs isn't too bad depending on the neighborhood. Nothing like New York, which sounds much like canada, as far as housing goes.

Anyway, it is good that your landlord is responding. Lysol is very toxic to people as well as bacteria. That would kill me. Some people are dopes.
post #24 of 27
Leaving their rubbish lying around in a hallway like that is a health hazzard full stop!.

Do you have large bins outside where they should really be in?.
post #25 of 27
You know you could move to the USA and find cheaper prices

Also, for the future, make copies of your health/doctor records regarding the problems related to the time period - just so they can see that it is affecting your health and how its affecting your health
post #26 of 27
Thread Starter 
No Lysol smell today so far, so that's good And I didn't wake up hacking up a lung either. But I still feel short of breath and will for weeks again until the inflammation in my lungs reduces. I feel like suing them for the cost of my inhalers. One of them is $150.00 and the other is $90.00. Neither of them I have needed for months before they started spraying that toxin back in February! Now I've gone through almost $400 in inhalers in that time
post #27 of 27
Thread Starter 
I forgot to update this.

A couple of days ago I found the bag with the Oust that I had placed on their door knob on my own door knob. In it was my letter along with a reply from the girl in that apartment, written on it.

She claims that it's not them spraying the Lysol in their apartment and hallway, and that they don't smoke or use air fresheners and only clean their place with peroxide.

However, the facts point to them:

- The sniff test draws you right to their door where the smell is the most powerful.

- I've heard them come home and immediately hear "psssss" in the hallway outside my door.

- The caretaker has caught them and their guests smoking in the hallway and in the stairwell and tossing their cigarette butts on the floor in the stairwell.

- In February after the caretaker talked to them, the spraying stopped.

- Recently since the caretaker talked to them and I left them my letter, I haven't smelled Lysol in the hallways. No one else on the floor had been approached about this; just them.

I can't stand liars! A simple ownership of their actions and an "I'm sorry. We didn't realize" would go a long way!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My Neighbours are so Ignorant!