TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Tax question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tax question

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
A friend of mine is non-US-citizen and he's asking if he saves his receipts from Tom Thumb, Kroger, etc... can he get a refund for the tax on the sales?

For instance, if he paid $100 including tax (about $8 tax) would he get $8 if he shows the receipt?

If yes, where can he do it (get the refund), and are there any other requirements? Appreciate your answers if you know something and thank you!
post #2 of 27
I seriously doubt that. Why would he?
post #3 of 27
You can normally claim that only if you do a regular income tax return. By itself, there is really no way because you have nothing to base it on.
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Thanks people!
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
You can normally claim that only if you do a regular income tax return. By itself, there is really no way because you have nothing to base it on.
I think what he's asking is if there is any place where they would refund the entire amount of sales tax paid. I guess the thinking is that since he is a non-US citizen he shouldn't have to pay sales tax? I've paid sales taxes in other countries, and to my knowledge, nobody refunds that. I could be wrong, but if I am, please tell me which country that is...that's where I'll go!

I don't think you can even write sales tax off on your tax return either, except for expenses incurred for business, etc. Regular food tax (which this sounds like?), cannot. So if that is what you're asking (arie85), the answer is still no.
post #6 of 27
There isn't anything like the VAT refunds for tourists from European countries or Canada. The idea is that they don't tax exports.

About the only thing I found was some information on Louisiana.
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix View Post
I don't think you can even write sales tax off on your tax return either, except for expenses incurred for business, etc. Regular food tax (which this sounds like?), cannot. So if that is what you're asking (arie85), the answer is still no.
actually, i think you can... i know when i did mine this year, one of the questions related to sales taxes... but since i needed receipts, & didn't have any, i didn't attempt to write any off.
here's the info:

You can elect to deduct state and local GENERAL SALES TAXES instead of state and local INCOME TAXES as an itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040). You cannot deduct both. To figure your state and local general sales tax deduction, you can use either your actual expenses or the state sales tax tables.
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
There isn't anything like the VAT refunds for tourists from European countries or Canada. The idea is that they don't tax exports.

About the only thing I found was some information on Louisiana.
I don't know what store Tom Thumb is, but Kroger is a grocery store. I don't think anything like that would be covered, though, would it?
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
actually, i think you can... i know when i did mine this year, one of the questions related to sales taxes... but since i needed receipts, & didn't have any, i didn't attempt to write any off.
here's the info:

You can elect to deduct state and local GENERAL SALES TAXES instead of state and local INCOME TAXES as an itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040). You cannot deduct both. To figure your state and local general sales tax deduction, you can use either your actual expenses or the state sales tax tables.
Huh, interesting. I've never heard of that.
post #10 of 27
For a non us citizen...hmmm not sure. I know we can if we visit canada!

For a citizen...NO, you can't write off your sales tax paid UNLESS you own a retail outlet in which you purchases items on non resale. This goes on the retailer's sales tax return (here in Cali it's the State Board of Equalization) and it reduces their total amount due on their return.
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOoMissEoOo View Post
For a non us citizen...hmmm not sure. I know we can if we visit canada!

For a citizen...NO, you can't write off your sales tax paid UNLESS you own a retail outlet in which you purchases items on non resale. This goes on the retailer's sales tax return (here in Cali it's the State Board of Equalization) and it reduces their total amount due on their return.
it may be a state specific thing. does California have a state income tax?
post #12 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix View Post
I don't know what store Tom Thumb is
It's all over TX

post #13 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clixpix View Post
Huh, interesting. I've never heard of that.
Me neither - is it good for Non-US-Citizens?
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by arie85 View Post
It's all over TX

Not true. I've never seen that store in my life and I live in Central Texas.
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
Not true. I've never seen that store in my life and I live in Central Texas.
mostly i've seen them in the bigger cities... none in Denton, but there's one in Southlake [which isn't necessarily larger, but it's closer to the metroplex]. they are all over the Dallas area - when i lived in Addison/Farmers Branch area, that's where i usually shopped.
post #16 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
Not true. I've never seen that store in my life and I live in Central Texas.
Dallas
Plano
Frisco
San Antonio
Mesquite
Denton

I've been in all those places and I can count with my fingers the # of stores they have there just at the entrance to each city
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by arie85 View Post
Denton

I've been in all those places and I can count with my fingers the # of stores they have there just at the entrance to each city
ummm... i shop in Denton - i've lived in this general area for 35+ years. i graduated from both high school & college in Denton. i've never seen a Tom Thumb here.
where did you see it? [roads, intersections, etc.]
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
ummm... i shop in Denton - i've lived in this general area for 35+ years. i graduated from both high school & college in Denton. i've never seen a Tom Thumb here.
where did you see it? [roads, intersections, etc.]
hahaha....

Well by the UPS center if you cross Royal and turn left in the traffic light (I dont remember exactly the entire way) - I think it's Denton or maybe a part of Dallas, or maybe it's in "both"
post #19 of 27
Thread Starter 
I've just checked google and it's my bad. Stemmons FWY from Royal does take you to Dallas and to Tom Thumb but it's on Dallas and not in Denton, my bad
post #20 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by arie85 View Post
I've just checked google and it's my bad. Stemmons FWY from Royal does take you to Dallas and to Tom Thumb but it's on Dallas and not in Denton, my bad
i was going to say we don't even HAVE a Royal in Denton! not to mention, up here it's not Stemmons anymore - it's called 35.
post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
i was going to say we don't even HAVE a Royal in Denton! not to mention, up here it's not Stemmons anymore - it's called 35.
Really? lol the GPS always shows it as Stemmons, there is Forest and Royal there. Afterwards it's Harry Hines and Industrial Zone (part of Denton, some of it)
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by arie85 View Post
Afterwards it's Harry Hines and Industrial Zone (part of Denton, some of it)
never heard it called Industrial Zone
post #23 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
never heard it called Industrial Zone
In the morning it looks like industrial zone, in night it's a street full of clubs etc. Those are my nicks to the place
post #24 of 27
Randalls in the Houston/Austin area are part of or own Tom Thumb stores in the North Texas area.
Tom Thumb stores are on the upscale side, geared toward the neighborhood. We have so many around here that we tend to assume everyone does.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
it may be a state specific thing. does California have a state income tax?
California taxes EVERYTHING, except your bodily fnctions and as soon as they figure out how to monitor those, WATCH OUT!

As for the sales taxes, I input the state/city sales tax rates and Turbo tax figured out my deduction, based on my income - it's easier than saving all of my receipts. If you bought a big-ticket item (car, boat, RV), you can deduct the sales tax that you paid on that.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by katl8e View Post
California taxes EVERYTHING, except your bodily functions and as soon as they figure out how to monitor those, WATCH OUT!
i think the info i quoted applies to people whose states do not have a state income tax [or a city one]. the was it was phrased implied that.
Texas doesn't have a state income tax.
post #27 of 27
You need to understand that sales tax is how your locality and your state provide the daily services that everyone enjoys. Streetlights, buses, police and fire protection, etc. Whether you're a citizen or not doesn't make any difference.

Your friend is probably thinking about the VAT tax in Europe or Canada, which you CAN get refunded if you're just a visitor.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Tax question