Question for married/engaged people

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did he propose? Or for the guys, how did you propose?

I know my boyfriend is going to propose soon, which has me wondering how everyone else got asked.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhhhh, but you assume its the man's responsibility to propose!?!?!?!?

DH and I were living together and we decided to move from Chicago to Houston to start a new life together. Being the practical person that I am, I decided that it would be more convenient to have the marriage license (health insurance, mortgage, etc). So one night I made a list of things we needed for a wedding:

Cake: Roberta
DJ: Mike
Invitations: Nancy
etc
And at the bottom, I wrote down December 30th.

The next day we were out shopping for a van. We were going to buy one to help us with our move. In between dealers, he turned to me and asked: "So December 30th huh?". I said "yes". He said "OK".

So in a way, I proposed to him and he accepted with a simple "OK".

Yes, we're unconventional people. He originally won me over in a poker game.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the wife found the engagment ring,i had picked up.
and asked if it was for her. i said yea i guess if you want it. lol.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
He muted the TV, looked over to me, and said "Would you marry me?" As we were kind of planning it to when he finished school, I said "ok". We went back to watching TV. It took two more other occasions for me to understand, he meant for us to actually set a date and do it. I love him but he's always leaving out important information in his questions.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were together for 4 years when he proposed. He asked for my hand in marriage first from my parents.. then while we were at home one quiet evening he got down on one knee and asked. It was very simple and sweet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Ahhhhh, but you assume its the man's responsibility to propose!?!?!?!?
No I really don't, I just know thats usually how it goes.

Originally Posted by Miss Mew

We were together for 4 years when he proposed. He asked for my hand in marriage first from my parents.. then while we were at home one quiet evening he got down on one knee and asked. It was very simple and sweet
Thats what I would like him to do. Something small where its just the 2 of us. People have been giving him all these weird suggestions though. He was telling me last night some of the things people have suggested. One girl said over the pager at work (I work at Zellers so that would be embarrassing). Another said to do it while naked.
That would definitely not be romantic at all.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My s/o never "officially" proposed to me. He just surprised me one day by getting me the ring. He told me I HAD to go shopping with him (which was when I figured something was up, but it didn't occur to me just what it was) and while we were out shopping, he said he had one more stop to make before leaving the store, and steered me in the direction of the jewelry counter. Then he proceeded to say, "Pick out the ring that you want!" So I did, and here we are..

~KK~

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH and I met on the internet. But he wanted to propose in person. Since we were states apart we only saw each other in person every few months. I figured he would ask on one of those times.

When I came to MN for vacation (3 weeks), he took me out to eat at a nice local restaurant. While we were getting dressed, we were playing an alphabet romance game where you had to start with A, etc. and give a romantic word - like A = Adorable, B = Beautiful. We took turns.

So we got down to R's - and he said "Read"...I was thinking "whats so romantic about Read"...then he says S is for Screensaver"...and again I didn't get it. So out of frustration he said.........Read ....Screensaver.

I started laughing cause I didn't have my glasses on so how could I read the screensaver. I put them on and went over to the computer.

He had asked me to marry him on the marque sign that was running....I had to read it twice as I caught it in the middle

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A very wise professor used to tell me, "I chased her until she caught me."

I think that just about applies.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lets see....has been almost 19 years lol! We had picked out the ring, I just didn't know when he picked it up. He picked me up for a date on a Friday night, and before we left my parents house, he handed it to me and asked me to marry him. Mind you, we met the last Sunday in April of 1989 and were married in May of 1990, so we didn't waste a lot of time, lol!......But you know what? I'd do it all over again

beck4582

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We were planning on getting married this summer. but last spring my husband had a job change. It was actually my mom's idea to go ahead and get married because we were going to move out of state. We went and picked out our rings, then that night we were watching tv and he muted it and took my hand and put the ring on my finger and asked if I would marry him. It wasn't fairy-tale, but it was still sweet.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got tired of waiting and I proposed to him. I got on one knee with a ring I bought for him and asked him to be my wife. LOL He said he'd be the best man/wife ever and that was almost 12 years ago.

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I first started dating my husband, he told me after our second date that I was the woman he wanted to marry. I knew a proposal would be coming sooner or later, but just didn't know the specifics. He ended up proposing after he had surgery to have his wisdom teeth removed. He was all drugged up and I thought, whatever sweetie...there's no way you are going to remember this tomorrow...but he did! We ended up going ring shopping the next day. We got white gold bands as commitment rings for each other rather than going the traditional engagement ring route. It was cold and raining the evening that we went ring shopping, so we ran into his house to stand in front of the heater and warm up. The heater happened to be in his bathroom and that was where he got down on one knee to propose "officially". Haha! Not exactly the most romantic proposal imaginable, I know, but it is quite fitting for us. We be crazies!
We got married a year later and have now been married almost 6 months. We're still very much in the newlywed stage. Awwws!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was proposed to and had no idea it was coming, it was very romantic and in a wonderful place on a trip we took

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH treated me to a weekend away in Sydney at a fancy hotel for Valentine's Day and organised for us to do a Sydney Harbour Bridge climb. He'd told the people running it what he was doing, so once we got to the top, they told us to hang back for a minute, while the guide dragged everyone else away to give us some privacy.

DH got down on one knee at the top of the bridge and asked me to marry him
He'd asked my mum for permission beforehand, so when I rang to tell her she already knew - and had already told everyone else in the family apparently

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I "kinda" got a proposal.

I had picked out a ring at a show, then when my fiance wen to get it, they said they couldn't get it anymore, so we had to start looking again..

As I work for a mall mangement company one day while at work I was in a store sadly looking at rings (I LOVED the ring that they said they couldn't get) and told the woman the story, and she said "oh, I'll find it for you" and asked for a pic, so I went back to my office and printed out a pic and gave it to her... three hours later I was calling my finace saying "meet me at work your buying my ring today!"

5 days later on the way home from a road trip we stopped and picked it up, when we got home he handed me the box and said "um..., will you marry me?" as he stood next to me... VERY unromatic

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know my husband was planning on buying me a ring for Christmas, but he hadn't officially popped the question. He kept joking about having me go on a treasure hunt Christmas eve (when we had a house full of people for dinner) and make me find it with clues. I actually thought he would probably get cold feet and not get it, so I wasn't really expecting it. The night before Xmas eve, he comes home from work and goes in the livingroom. I was making dinner and not really paying attention to what he was doing. A few minutes later he comes in the kitchen and says he got a new ornament for the tree and I should check it out. So, here on the tree was a silver bell engraved with the year ....complete with a diamond ring. My first thought was "oh, how sweet, he even found one with a ring"
Then, I realized it was a REAL ring, and I just started crying. DH, who was standing in the door watching, just started laughing and said "I take it the answer is yes?"

The funny thing is, the first time he proposed was almost 10 years before...in a bar. He actually got down on one knee, and asked "will you marry me?". The music was so loud, I misunderstood him and thought he said "Are you mad at me?" so I said "NOooooo!"
I guess that is probably why we didn't go out very long that time. This time he made sure to turn the TV down!

wesley's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well when DH asked me to marry him I already knew he was going to ask me. He just had to pick out the ring first. So once he got the ring he just got down on one knee and asked. It was so sweet even though nothing too exciting was planned!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone has nice stories. My boyfriend made the last payment on my ring on Friday but hasn't given it to me yet. I don't know what he is waiting for. I really wish he would give it to me. I picked it out about a month ago but I forget what it looks like.