Peticure- new claw filing tool (As Seen On TV!)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with you. Come after either of my cats with a machine like that, and I'll bet they're gone in a second.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might work for a dog, but I doubt you can get a cat to sit still long enough to do it. Even cats that are USED to having their nails done and don't fight.

Charlie is very good about clipping nails, but I would not expect him to sit still enough to use that.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
anytime i file my own nails, my cats like to play with the file so i let them run their claws all over it. its cheaper and they think theyre getting away with something

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two issues with it. First, it is possible to file the nail down too deep, just like ithe nail can be cut too deep. And the rotary tool is similar to what they use on my nailat the salon - and it can get too hot on the nail, especially during the learning period.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And I aimgine if you're using that tool it's harder to keep track of where the quick is. At least with clipping, you can see the pink part, and cut in one snip.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Two issues with it. First, it is possible to file the nail down too deep, just like ithe nail can be cut too deep. And the rotary tool is similar to what they use on my nailat the salon - and it can get too hot on the nail, especially during the learning period.
Good logic there!
I knew none of my cats would sit still for it, they barely sit still when they see the clippers!

I hadn't thought through about the quick though. I think that would hurt more than the clippers pinching/clipping it!!!

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's a dremmel with a dust guard

They are the preferred tool for a dog, but i have never seen anyone brave enough to attempt it with a cat.
If you have dogs, get one, you'll love it, but for a cat? No way

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I think not for mine. I would spend an hour searching for them and then collapse from exhaustion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the commercial, they claim that clipping a cat's claws hurts because even if you're not cutting the nerve, you're compressing it...is this true? I'd never heard it before, but it would certainly explain why some (most) cats react so violently to getting their claws clipped.

Yeah, I guess overheating could be a concern.

Albus only seems to get one long claw at a time, so clipping it isn't too bad....at least not for me.