Strange Behavior After Visit to Groomer

whiskers151

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took all three of my cats in today to my vet office for grooming which consisted of a bath, hair trim, nail trim and general overall wellness visit. They said they would use a sedative on them since this was their first time for this type of treatment and they where not sure how they would react. They also got caught up on all their shots.

When I got them home they all seemed fine but I when I pick up Misty she yells out like something is hurting her. Even when she is just sitting calmly if I touch her to pet her she gives out a little cry and pulls away. I checked her over and their does not seem to be anything physically wrong with her. Overall they just trimmed their hair but on their belly's they shaved them close but not skin close.

Is this just a psychological reaction to getting the grooming treatment for the first time? She's never had problems with general vet visits before.

Thanks

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd bring her back in right away and let the vet decide if anything's wrong or not.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That does seem strange. But I have a question for you - WHY did you get your shorthair cats groomed and the bellys shaved?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskers151

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I told them I wanted a basic grooming and they asked if I wanted them shaved completely and I said not to. I did not see that their belly's where shaved until i got home but I assumed it was part of the standard grooming. The other two are fine, only Misty is having issues.

I tried picking her up again and she definitely appears to be feeling some sort or pain from it as she yells out immediately. She is still moving about the house ok and even jumped up onto one of the cabinet tops at one point which is a good 5-6ft leap. She did not have any problems doing that and did not show any signs of pain when she landed jumping down. I am going to take her back to the vet in the morning before work.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like razor burn or something. Shorthair cats only need a comb - not a groomer. I've never heard of taking a shorthair cat to a groomer. Its not that hard to do at home.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sounds like razor burn or something. Shorthair cats only need a comb - not a groomer. I've never heard of taking a shorthair cat to a groomer. Its not that hard to do at home.
i agree.

visiting a groomer can be such a stressful experience for any animal, even if the groomer is fantastic.

i used to visit the animals in their homes when i was grooming and that would reduce the stress to some degree. maybe if you really have to get them groomed again then you could get a home groomer to come to you?

and shaving a cat for no reason is wrong in my opinion.

plus the issue of them being sedated for a non medical procedure by an unqualified person would worry me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiskers151

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They did not shave them to completely to the skin. There is about a 1/4 inch of hair so I am not sure it would be razor burn. As far as the sedation it is done by the vet and is only at a minimal level.

I will be taking her back in today.

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The fact that they were automatically using a sedative on them for the simple reason it was their first visit would be of concern to me. I have a big feisty male cat who growls and hisses his way through a vet appointment and even knowing that the vet doesn't automatically sedate. She does offer a homeopathic calming for me to give at home ahead of time if I feel the need.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whiskers151

They did not shave them to completely to the skin. There is about a 1/4 inch of hair so I am not sure it would be razor burn. As far as the sedation it is done by the vet and is only at a minimal level.

I will be taking her back in today.
i'm still unclear as to why you had them shaved.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me either - they are shorthair - not longhair. I don't see the purpose in taking them to be "groomed" and "shaved" in the first place.