Leg muscles

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that when Popsie first gets up after lying down for a while he has trouble walking. I think that since he's so old the muscles in his back legs are weak or something because it seems like they sort of give out on him. Like I said it only happens when he's been lying down. Does anyone have any insight?

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Buster sort of has this problem. The holistic vet said he has muscle atrophy, as evidenced by his skinny and bony hind legs. In fact, the atrophy most likely contributes to his inability to pass stool. However, he can walk and run fine.

I remember you mentioning that Popsie also experienced bouts of constipation, so perhaps there is a connection there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blast-Off-Girl

Buster sort of has this problem. The holistic vet said he has muscle atrophy, as evidenced by his skinny and bony hind legs. In fact, the atrophy most likely contributes to his inability to pass stool. However, he can walk and run fine.

I remember you mentioning that Popsie also experienced bouts of constipation, so perhaps there is a connection there.
Yeah, I was thinking that his muscles were getting atrophied. You could be right about the contipation thing too although he's been doing good since I quit giving him so many treats. It kinda sad to see when he's walking and his back legs go out on him.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he may have some arthritis in his back or in his hind legs. A vet could confirm this with an x-ray. There are glucosamine supplements available that can help reduce the inflammation in the joints and soothe them some, such as Cosequin, Synovi, etc. Also, a heating pad set to low can help.

One other thing to look at is blood work to check potassium levels. Low potassium can cause rear leg weakness as well, particularly in cats with kidney issues.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd guess arthritis too, since he's an older cat. That could eventually lead to muscle weakness as well. If the vet confirms it, consider getting him a heated pet bed - he might have less trouble getting up if he's been sleeping on that.