TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Kitty Litter Help... Need to try something new.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitty Litter Help... Need to try something new.

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
Ok so for a long time I used Fresh Step but the scent was so overwhelming I decided to change things over to Tidy Cats. I do like Tidy cats however I notice when I scoop up the urine (mainly in Osiris's box, he is currently recovering from a bladder and urinary infection) I get mounds of tiny microscopic pieces of urine that slip threw the scoop (oh and it smells so strong like ammonia since he is recovering from his horrible infection, poor guy)... It doesnt seem to clump that well. Hmmmm? I also tried Arm and Hammer once before and I wasnt a huge fan.

Any other suggestions for a great clumping litter with odor minimizers in it? I was contimplating mixing some arm and hammer kitty deoderizer in with the litter. Its amazing how much of a stink three cats can produce, Im always busy cleaning their litter boxes :0)

Anyways name your favorite kitty litters and why.... Im up for some suggestions!
post #2 of 23
World's Best Cat Litter- forms really hard clumps and is very easy to scoop. Because it absorbs and dries very quickly, there is little time for bacteria to multiply and for urine to start breaking down to ammonia - it's that that causes the worst litterbox smells. I haven't had much problem in the odour department when I've been using it, other than when they first poo, once they've covered it, it's fine.
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Where do you usually get that. At a local pet store? The tidy cats breaks down fast at least with Osiris's urine. Whooo the smell is intoxicating.
post #4 of 23
I use World's Best Cat Litter, it's the best at the price. I also use Arm & Hammer deodorizer and I clean the box daily. I have 2 cats. It is a part of my daily routine to scoop the box daily. Every 2 weeks I dump the litter, wash the box and put it new litter. Visitors to my 1 bedroom apartment tell me they cannot smell any litter box smell.
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
That is awesome. Ok ladies and possible gents where do I get the stuff? I need some major clumpage lol :0)
post #6 of 23
Whereabouts are you? I'm in the UK and it's new here and not stocked many places, so I have to order online - but it seems to be popular amongst US TCS members, so I imagine it is more widely available in pet stores
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
I live in Wisconsin... US! We have Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supplies Plus, and Petworld here. Anyone familiar with these locations and know if they carry it?
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
I live in Wisconsin... US! We have Petsmart, Petco, Pet Supplies Plus, and Petworld here. Anyone familiar with these locations and know if they carry it?
Petsmart does, I know. I order online through Petfooddirect when they offer 22% off sales - they are in PA, so shipping to WI shouldn't be too bad.

I get the WBCL and add some A&H multi-cat clumping to it to help keep odor down - I started the switchover in Nov, I think it was, and we are now no longer covered in litter dust, I can breathe better in the house, and if the cats get some WBCL stuck on their butts and they lick it off, it won't hurt their insides.
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Awesome Im going to petsmart tonight so Ill check it out. You guys have been so helpful :0)
post #10 of 23
I love World's Best Cat Litter but it doesn't clump very well for me. I always end up with little pieces that fall through the scoop.

The best clumping from any litter I've tried was the Arm & Hammer Super Clump formula.
post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
I failed I didnt get WBCL. It was mucho expensive. I got Tidy Cats again and Arm and Hammer deodorizer. Maybe next time.
post #12 of 23
I reallly like Precious Cat. It's almost dust free and my cat like it. I had problems with my cats not using WBCL and it's way too expensive.
post #13 of 23
Maybe try one of the harder clumping litters - or something like Feline Pine (or equivalent). We are gonna stop by the feed store today and see if they have the wood stove pellets - if not, then WalMart has a FP of their own - 20 lbs for about $8.

The cats and I like the pellets better then the clumping litters.
post #14 of 23
I've been having very good luck with Special Kitty Scoop. It comes in 2 different varieties-- regular scoop and one that has crystals in it. I think it clumps pretty well, and is only $5.97 for 28 lbs of the regular scoop. The dust level is one of the lowest for clay clumping litter, too.
post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 
Thanks I have alot of ideas for next time now :0)
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
Ok so for a long time I used Fresh Step but the scent was so overwhelming I decided to change things over to Tidy Cats. I do like Tidy cats however I notice when I scoop up the urine (mainly in Osiris's box, he is currently recovering from a bladder and urinary infection) I get mounds of tiny microscopic pieces of urine that slip threw the scoop (oh and it smells so strong like ammonia since he is recovering from his horrible infection, poor guy)... It doesnt seem to clump that well. Hmmmm? I also tried Arm and Hammer once before and I wasnt a huge fan.

Any other suggestions for a great clumping litter with odor minimizers in it? I was contimplating mixing some arm and hammer kitty deoderizer in with the litter. Its amazing how much of a stink three cats can produce, Im always busy cleaning their litter boxes :0)

Anyways name your favorite kitty litters and why.... Im up for some suggestions!
I use ExquisiCat® Extra Strength Scoop Premium Clumping Litter. I get it at PetSmart in Massachusetts. So far it's the best litter that my cat has used. I've never had any problems.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionone View Post
I use ExquisiCat® Extra Strength Scoop Premium Clumping Litter. I get it at PetSmart in Massachusetts. So far it's the best litter that my cat has used. I've never had any problems.
i use that, too - it's a bit dusty, but clumps fairly well, & comes in an unscented formula.
for superior clumping, i like Scoop Away, but i can't find the unscented formula locally, & i don't like the scented ones.
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionone View Post
I use ExquisiCat® Extra Strength Scoop Premium Clumping Litter. I get it at PetSmart in Massachusetts. So far it's the best litter that my cat has used. I've never had any problems.
I used this litter when I first got the cats...it clumps great, controls smells (although, truth be told cleaning the box regularly is the best thing for smells), was available without any scent, and was pretty cheap (I think I was getting 40lbs for around $11).

The downside was that it was, hands down, the dustiest litter I have ever tried. I did pretty well mixing it with the Tidy Cats, then DH said he didn't want any clay dust (not to mention the heft of clay litter) and Stan developed some breathing problems so we are switching to Swheat Scoop. I have just about transferred over two of the three litterboxes that are regularly used. I also use Arm & Hammer High Performance mixed into the Swheat Scoop.

I seemed to like WBCL better than my cats did...I'm going to see if I can get away with mixing it into the Swheat scoop.
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionone View Post
I use ExquisiCat® Extra Strength Scoop Premium Clumping Litter. I get it at PetSmart in Massachusetts. So far it's the best litter that my cat has used. I've never had any problems.
Last time I bought litter I picked up a box of the unscented scoop and it was horrible. Next time I'm going to Wal-Mart. Exquisicat is horrible for dust. I poured it and so much dust clouded up that I had to open a window. And for unscented it smelled an awful lot like baby powder.

Wal-Mart special kitty scoop is much lower in dust levels than most of the brand name litters lately. There's an all natural litter at Wal-Mart that we might try the next time I am there. It's a pine one that clumps (not Feline Pine, but something else).
post #20 of 23
I use "Fresh Results" by Eight in One Pet Products. It is made of natural corncob granules and urine immediately clumps. It is 99.9% Dust Free and a 10# bag runs $5.88 at WalMart. I have 1 kitty and it lasts for a month. I scoop it daily and add a little more when necessary.It has a natural pine scent and will not irritate cuts or wounds after surgery. Now I just need to figure out what is best for catching the granules when kitty steps out of the box. For now, I just use my dustbuster on the floor after I scoop the pan.
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by laureen227 View Post
i use that, too - it's a bit dusty, but clumps fairly well, & comes in an unscented formula.
for superior clumping, i like Scoop Away, but i can't find the unscented formula locally, & i don't like the scented ones.
I never really noticed the dust, but that doesn't mean it's not there. Cali is my first cat so I really wouldn't have know if it was over dusty or just normal. That said, it must not bother me if it is dusty . I will say that it clumps really well and I am more than happy with it.

The next time I change the litter I will pay attention and see what I have been overlooking all these years lol!
post #22 of 23
Thread Starter 
Im thinking my bf got carried away with the arm and hammer deoderizer because there are dusty paw prints all over the place... My kitties smell like the deoderizer. I said a sprinkle but Im not sure what he defines as sprinkle. Is the deoderizer safe for kitties to inhale or lick from their paws or fur? Other than that I noticed the litter smell is much better.
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie23 View Post
Im thinking my bf got carried away with the arm and hammer deoderizer because there are dusty paw prints all over the place... My kitties smell like the deoderizer. I said a sprinkle but Im not sure what he defines as sprinkle. Is the deoderizer safe for kitties to inhale or lick from their paws or fur? Other than that I noticed the litter smell is much better.
I prefer plain old Baking Soda if I'm going to use a deodorizer. The Arm & Hammer deodorizer sets of sneezing fits for me. I don't think the deodorizer is unsafe, but you might have to have a chat with him about moderation.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Kitty Litter Help... Need to try something new.