TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone know what this is? *Gross skin pic*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone know what this is? *Gross skin pic*

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
I first got it when Maisie came and just thought as she was covered in fleas and I`d been laying on the floor with her leaning on that elbow, that they`d been having a nice meal there

Anyway, a week ago it came back, exactly the same place. Noticed it after spending time with Maisie. Started off looking like lots of little bites and then kinda joined up so it`s a big patch now. Itches like mad and is raised and red.

Kitty was up to date with flea teatment and not seen any evidence on Maisie but treated her Monday, just to be sure.

Anyone got any ideas?



( It`s quite hard trying to take a picture of your own elbow! Sorry for grossness but it`s driving me nuts )
post #2 of 26
No idea but it looks really inflamed I was thinking psoriasis or eczema but i would pop to the doctors to let them have a look.

Is it just there and no where else?
post #3 of 26
Could be a fungal infection?

I'd make an appointment with a dermatologist to have it looked at ASAP.
post #4 of 26
Thread Starter 
Hmm, was hoping not to hear the 'p' word coz I`ve seen people on tv saying how hard it is to treat. Not got it anywhere else but the last few years I`ve been getting really dry patches on my arms before I get the monthlys, but that`s hardly visible.

Oh poo. I hate going to the doctors
Maybe the pharmacist would know.

Thanks Susan
post #5 of 26
I get spots like that all the time. I'm in a sense allergic to cats....like when I come in contact with them I get red itchy spots. Mostly after they've been licking themselves. Sounds silly. I use anti-itch cream & lots of lotion.
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
Could be a fungal infection?

I'd make an appointment with a dermatologist to have it looked at ASAP.
If the pharmacist doesn`t know I think I will. It looks horrible
post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffacake View Post
Hmm, was hoping not to hear the 'p' word coz I`ve seen people on tv saying how hard it is to treat.
My sister has psoriasis and really she should go back to see the dermatologist because she's never been for a few years, and the treatment now is a lot better because weve got someone at work that had it, but he's he's fine now.

Is it weeping at all?
post #8 of 26
It looks like chigger bites or scabies to me. But behind the elbow is a common place to get eczema. It could also be contact dermatitis; I'd go to a doctor before it gets worse. Hope you figure it out!
post #9 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemac View Post
My sister has psoriasis and really she should go back to see the dermatologist because she's never been for a few years, and the treatment now is a lot better because weve got someone at work that had it, but he's he's fine now.

Is it weeping at all?
Really? That`s good. It`s just I saw that Embarrassing illnesses on C4 and one woman had it everywhere and she had to go ( can`t remember what you call it ) under like a sun bed and it didn`t look that much better but she`d tried everything else.

No, it`s not weeping. Just itchy, hot and raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
It looks like chigger bites or scabies to me. But behind the elbow is a common place to get eczema. It could also be contact dermatitis; I'd go to a doctor before it gets worse. Hope you figure it out!
What are chigger bites? I`ve had scabies before but that spread really quick and was different. Never want that again!

Looking on the net is just giving me a headache. I`ll pop in Boots tomorrow and see what they think.
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I get spots like that all the time. I'm in a sense allergic to cats....like when I come in contact with them I get red itchy spots. Mostly after they've been licking themselves. Sounds silly. I use anti-itch cream & lots of lotion.
Yeah, that makes sense. Don`t some people get asthma from dried cat saliva in the air.

Maisie does dribble a lot.
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffacake View Post
Really? That`s good. It`s just I saw that Embarrassing illnesses on C4 and one woman had it everywhere and she had to go ( can`t remember what you call it ) under like a sun bed and it didn`t look that much better but she`d tried everything else.
I saw that program and i remember seeing her as well, but she had it really bad

Theres the lamp treatment that you've mentioned, but they also have baths with a special lotion in that removes the dead cells. A friend of mine works in the dermatology department of our local hospital and she said the treatment has come on leaps and bounds

I would say the pharmacist would know straight away if it was something like that, so get yourself in tomorrow
post #12 of 26
Maybe Shingles?

Shingles always show up in the same place on your body..and they are caused by Chicken pox virus. They look like that and its very itchy..normally a period of over exertion will cause them to come out.

I got it once when I climbed a mountain. Have you had any crazy over exertions lately? Have you had chicken pox before?
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
Yes Mummy Susan
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffacake View Post
Yes Mummy Susan
Well, the sooner you get it seen the quicker it'll go
post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffacake View Post
What are chigger bites? I`ve had scabies before but that spread really quick and was different. Never want that again!
Chiggers are nasty little bugs. They bore ahole into your skin, inject an enzyme, eat the dissolved tissue, and they itch like crazy. I used to get the bites all the time as a kid in Texas; I think they live in the grass though.

http://www.dailyyonder.com/chiggers-...h-black-decker
post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 
Ewww!
They look and sound nasty. Not sure if we get them over here but it looks different.

In the words of SouthPark, I`ve learnt something today! Thanks for the link!
post #17 of 26
I don't think we have those over here?!.

I hate feet, and those made me squirm!!
post #18 of 26
Did this start before the patch? Where are you wearing the patch?
post #19 of 26
Looks like eczema.
post #20 of 26
Could be a fungal infection? is what i thought i also.
post #21 of 26
My son Jacob had something that looked like that, I took him to the dermatolagist and they said it was exzema. They gave him some cream to put on it that you can get over the counter called "Vanicream" and then some RX cream stuff! We had tried everything before this and nothing had worked to get rid of it, so needless to say we were tickled pink that it worked! The vanicream has nothing bad for you in there, and doesn't smell bad or anything! We use that on his whole body and then if he starts to get a spot will put the other stuff just on the spot! So maybe you could get it checked out just to be sure!
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the help, guys

Went to Boots and they were really busy so just spoke to the woman serving and she said use some E45 cream so got that.

Then this afternoon I had a phone call. It was the doctors surgery! The doctor wants to see me because I stopped collecting my prescriptions so I`ve got to go and see him next friday for a telling off But I will ask him about it while I`m there. May as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

The patches, I`ve been mostly sticking them on my upper arms and legs. Not stuck any near where this has come up. Oh, and it appeared in March last year but went down after about 4 weeks.

Will defo look for that cream if he says it`s excema!
post #23 of 26
Thread Starter 
Just wanted to say, went to the docs friday and he said it`s a kind of eczema. Asked him if it was fungal and he said no

So he`s given me some Eumovate cream and it`s almost gone
post #24 of 26
Oh i've heard of that cream as well!. Pleased it's clearing up now
post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Maybe Shingles?

Shingles always show up in the same place on your body..and they are caused by Chicken pox virus. They look like that and its very itchy..normally a period of over exertion will cause them to come out.

I got it once when I climbed a mountain. Have you had any crazy over exertions lately? Have you had chicken pox before?
Awww, I missed your post! Sorry!

Yeah, I had chicken pox when I was 18 months old and I swear it`s my earliest memory.

The pain!
post #26 of 26
That doesn't look like shingles. Shingles typically appears on the torso and while it's in patches, it travels along the nerve path and is not just itchy, but is also one of the most painful things you can experience. I know...I've had shingles I'm lucky that I recognized it and went to the doctor right away and got antiviral pills and didn't have any post pain which remains with you literally forever!

Only your doctor will be able to tell you what it is. I suggest you go and see him instead of trying to self diagnose.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Anyone know what this is? *Gross skin pic*