TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Canadian TV Special - Pet Food
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canadian TV Special - Pet Food

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
PET FOOD: A DOG'S BREAKFAST
Thursday January 24, 2008 at 9pm on CBC-TV
repeating Saturday Janaury 26 at 10pm ET on CBC Newsworld
(check for local times)

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/dogsbreakfast.html

"In the wake of the scandal...Pet owners and governments are asking: Is pet food both nutritious, and safe? Does it live up to the claims of its makers? Is the industry adequately regulated?...This exposé takes viewers inside the world of pet food manufacturing and is essential viewing for every pet owner...As seen in PET FOOD: A DOG'S BREAKFAST, there is a growing call among consumer activists for greater regulation that will bring the pet food industry to heel. Your pet's life may depend on it."
post #2 of 25
CBC is one of the more responsible broadcasters so I will definitely try to tune in.
post #3 of 25
It's on tomorrow night. Supposedly this is a must see for any animal owner, all about commercial foods and featuring Elizabeth Hodgkins.

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/dogsbreakfast.html

Oh, and it apparently repeats on Saturday night? It's on the link right under the title.
post #4 of 25
I'll be interested to see it as well.
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
I just saw this comment posted on another forum:

"Comcast in western Washington does carry CBC"

Maybe there are others in the US...???
post #6 of 25
Supossedly satellites have it ... I will try to find the channel
post #7 of 25
It is not on our Time Warner cable line up.
post #8 of 25
It wasn't on my Fios line up. I'm going to keep searching, though. Maybe they'll play it sometime soon.
post #9 of 25
Thread Starter 
Anyone wondering about future airings might want to contact the film's producer http://www.yapfilms.com/index.html

By email here thedog@yapfilms.com

My sense is you'll see it on a PBS before on one of the corporate conglomerates.
post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
This program is being re-broadcast on CBC Thursday May 28...details here.
post #11 of 25
Thanks for the info... I'll definately be checking it out.
post #12 of 25
Thanks for the heads-up BLAISE - definitely worth watching.
post #13 of 25
Thanks for posting, i must have missed it the first go round..

this is an interesting statement
"Dr. Meg Smart, of the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, says that expensive pet foods labelled 'premium' are often no better or different than cheaper food."

somewhat going along the lines of the consumer reports article that they did on pet foods this past year...

finding the right pet food is exhausting and the recalls are making it downright frightening
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by followedbydolls View Post
Thanks for posting, i must have missed it the first go round..

this is an interesting statement
"Dr. Meg Smart, of the Western College of Veterinary Medicine in Saskatoon, says that expensive pet foods labelled 'premium' are often no better or different than cheaper food."

somewhat going along the lines of the consumer reports article that they did on pet foods this past year...

finding the right pet food is exhausting and the recalls are making it downright frightening
the above is easy to figure out just by a quick label read

recalls happen , just this morning I got 5 separate recalls for HUMAN food that is on top of the 15 from the weekend
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
the above is easy to figure out just by a quick label read

recalls happen , just this morning I got 5 separate recalls for HUMAN food that is on top of the 15 from the weekend
Oh yes, quite true label reading is important. Plus i know recalls in human food are pretty common, just i have been through alot with my cats in the past few years and then adding issues like recalled food is somewhat like the final straw that broke the camels back? kwim
post #16 of 25
This is on right now.....( for those in EST anyways).

I'm halfway through, and so far it is pretty good, and a couple of great pictorial examples of what goes into your pet food.
post #17 of 25
Speaking of labels, what to make of meat meals? I see chicken meal, etc. What is the verdict on them? I've got my kitties on Evo, Innova and staring today, Natural Balance. The prices are much higher than the supermarket brands. Are they worth it?
post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Speaking of labels, what to make of meat meals? I see chicken meal, etc. What is the verdict on them? I've got my kitties on Evo, Innova and staring today, Natural Balance. The prices are much higher than the supermarket brands. Are they worth it?
meal is meat - most fat and water ... ie think beef jerky .. chicken meal is the meat typically eaten by humans and some bone ... 5lbs fresh chicken makes 1 lb of meal ...

IMHO in a dry food I want a meal as it means that after cooking it weighs the same ... ie chicken is 66% water and by wt falls five or six places down the ingredient list ... meal weighs the same
post #19 of 25
This program was very interesting. I do have a link to it online if anyone would like to check it out....pm me and I'll send it to you.

One thing I have come to the conclusion of, is if my cats would eat raw, I'd feed it....that way I know exactly what they are eating... but untill then, I will make the best educated decision I can on what to feed my animals.
post #20 of 25
I finally got round to watching this. I suppose i am disappointed, i found the info rather conflicting and generally it was confusing on what products they were speaking of.
post #21 of 25
I just watched this at lunch ( my cable box recorder). I too was a little bit disappointed. It pretty much dissed every single type of food and then gave us absolutely no help on what we should be feeding AND made the comment that Vets have no clue as well. So what…we are screwed? I am so confused now as to what to feed my guys. I am thinking just their normal food and then adding some meat I would eat or something? I don’t know, I’m confused now lol.
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaloneysMom View Post
I just watched this at lunch ( my cable box recorder). I too was a little bit disappointed. It pretty much dissed every single type of food and then gave us absolutely no help on what we should be feeding AND made the comment that Vets have no clue as well. So what…we are screwed? I am so confused now as to what to feed my guys. I am thinking just their normal food and then adding some meat I would eat or something? I don’t know, I’m confused now lol.
Some vets have a clue and their numbers are growing...

THERE IS NO one PERFECT food for all CATS

?? s to think about when picking out food

DO you have any issues ?? If so what are they?

Is the current food keeping them healthy and in the shape you want them and the vet checks are good ??

Are there ingredients that after doing your research you WILL or WONT feed?
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Some vets have a clue and their numbers are growing...

THERE IS NO one PERFECT food for all CATS

?? s to think about when picking out food

DO you have any issues ?? If so what are they?

Is the current food keeping them healthy and in the shape you want them and the vet checks are good ??

Are there ingredients that after doing your research you WILL or WONT feed?
I have done all of the above. But what scares me is that they said if you feed your cat any store bought food for the rest of their lives its like feeding your kid pizza everyday. That’s not good. My cats are totally healthy, but coming from a family where obesity is common I understand that you can eat crap all of your life, be healthy, then when you hit your 40’s (I know its different in some cases, in my family it’s the 40’s) or so you get really sick and I’ve experienced some really early deaths in my family due to eating crap. That just scared me.

I just wish they went into more detail about what to feed, or other options. It so hard to know what to do for your pets. I'm just so scared when they are older i will realize then i could have fed them something that could have added 5 years and i didn't do it.... I'm just a weird Mom LOL.
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaloneysMom View Post
I have done all of the above. But what scares me is that they said if you feed your cat any store bought food for the rest of their lives its like feeding your kid pizza everyday. That’s not good. My cats are totally healthy, but coming from a family where obesity is common I understand that you can eat crap all of your life, be healthy, then when you hit your 40’s (I know its different in some cases, in my family it’s the 40’s) or so you get really sick and I’ve experienced some really early deaths in my family due to eating crap. That just scared me.

I just wish they went into more detail about what to feed, or other options. It so hard to know what to do for your pets. I'm just so scared when they are older i will realize then i could have fed them something that could have added 5 years and i didn't do it.... I'm just a weird Mom LOL.
I don't think your weird, i fully understand where your coming from. I'll be honest here, i raised 2 cats to 17 & 19 on nothing but cat chow & fancy feast... i never had an extra vet bill or any problems *shrug*

Am i saying that is the perfect answer? no way, but admit to struggling on what is the right choice, some days i miss my ignorance yeah the old saying and with all the bliss...

again i still feel that special did nothing to really help the average person out at all, just added more questions and confusion to already murky waters.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by followedbydolls View Post
again i still feel that special did nothing to really help the average person out at all, just added more questions and confusion to already murky waters.
Totally agree!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Canadian TV Special - Pet Food