TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › When you see a "purebred" dog do you say something???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When you see a "purebred" dog do you say something???

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
My future mom-in-law got a Chihuahua the week after she saw my Thor. I went to meet him and instantly I thought "that's not a Chihuahua!" I asked if it was a mix and she said "no, he's a registered long haired Chihuahua." I said something about him looking part shitz-su, and she showed me the "papers" (the pet registry).

Long story short, he's two months younger than Thor and weighs more than double what Thor does (3lbs 4.5 months). He has short legs, bent ears, VERY furry/soft curly hair, curly tail, and VERY round.

My SO and I got in the car and I said....."do you think he looks like a chihuahua or is it just me?" He doesn't know dogs well, but he still agreed he didn't look much like Thor. I told him not to tell her what I thought, but he did . I just felt a bit bad, because I pretty much said she payed way too much for a mutt, (not that mutts are bad, but you can get lots of those at the shelter).



Does anyone else say something when they see someone's "registered purebred". Maybe I shouldn't
post #2 of 29
I let them believe whatever makes them happy.
post #3 of 29
I would very gently let them know what I thought.
But then again, she should be able to tell the difference herself...
post #4 of 29
I would not say anything but that is too bad.
post #5 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
I let them believe whatever makes them happy.
If they are happy what does it matter to anybody else
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
I let them believe whatever makes them happy.
Yeah....maybe I should
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjerkness View Post
If they are happy what does it matter to anybody else
I suppose the only good reason to say something, would be BEFORE she bought the dog
post #8 of 29
I would have said something... like when I met my friend "Pure Bred APBT" I thought APBT/GreyHound Mix. and I told them what I thought and they were fine... they even agreed a lil, then when I saw my Aunts "Pure Bred Chihuahua" I thought he looked Chihuahua/Jack Russell Mix and I told her and she agreed also... but then again it might just be the person you approach about it... everyone has a different reaction.
If someone has a Pure Bred and im sure its a Pure Bred ill compliment the Dog... but if its mixed ill ask and say my Opinion on the dogs look.
post #9 of 29
Working in veterinary medicine I saw a LOT of 'purebred' pets. Half the time I could even tell what they ACTUALLY were.

It got on my nerves, but more from a perspective of scientific accuracy. It also bothers me a little because--while I have no problem whatsoever with people who want purebred animals, I feel like getting a purebred animal should involve some amount of research and a trip to a responsible breeder.

A responsible breeder is not going to sell you a mix and lie to you about what it is. And if you've done the research I feel people ought to do before they decide on a purebred AND which breed, then people should KNOW the dog is not what it is being billed as.

If you don't actually care what breed the dog is enough to research before buying, then why not just get a dog from a shelter? Hopefully I'm making sense.

But basically, if I decided I wanted a purebred animal, it would be because I liked the appearance, and I liked what I had read about the breed's personality and special needs. To know those things, I would have to do research first. If I do research, I'm going to know that that's a bonafide mutt and not a purebred animal.

To me, someone who claims to have a purebred that is clearly NOT a purebred bought the animal with very little knowledge and probably on impulse. These things CAN, of course, work out, and ultimately I'm sure they make very good pet owners, but it's still just ... baffling to me. Maybe I'm just too logical.

That said, purebred Chihuahuas show a LOT of diversity in morphology. The dog could WELL be a Chihuahua, just not one of the same type of breeding stock as yours. He may not ever win in a show ring, but he could still be a purebreed.
post #10 of 29
The puppy mill and byb registries are worthless - they can say anything they want. Sad to think they paid good money for a probable mixed breed from the fake registries.
post #11 of 29
I agree, and perhaps the cases that made me the most angry when I worked at the clinic were those from the pet-store. Probably because they had to show us the invoice if they bought the pet from a particular store because it had the vaccination history on it.

These dogs would be admitted mixed breeds ... like Border Terrier Chihuahua mixes or what have you ... it would say it right on the paperwork. And these people had paid $1200 for it. Used to make me furious. The poor puppies were almost always sickly, or had hernias, cherry eyes or heart murmurs. And these people had spent upwards of a $1000--usually on impulse--supporting puppy mills when small mixed breeds with $100 adoption fees are euthanized every day because they're unwanted. >.<

And don't even get me started on this one couple who came in three days before Christmas with a $2200 dollar "Mastiff" puppy they had bought on impulse because he was 'cute'. He was clearly a mixed breed but also clearly going to be HUGE. Who buys a HUGE DOG for that much money a few days before Christmas on IMPULSE? People truly astound me sometimes.
post #12 of 29
I was at the mall last year sometime and (being the person that I am) I wandered in to the pet store. I was shocked to see that they were selling mixed breed dogs as "designer" dogs (like labradoodle or peke-a-poo) there was not one single AKC recognized breed in there. All of these mutts were going for $500 or more and not a single one looked really healthy. The worst part is that people actually think that these are different than regular mutts somehow.

I have nothing against mutts by the way, I just think that people should research what they are getting and they should know what a purebred dog is vs a "designer" dog (mutt). I am horrified that someone would turn down a humane society mutt in favor of a $500 pet store mutt. What is the deal here? The newspapers are now full of these designer mutts too. It makes me sooo sad.
post #13 of 29
Usually with about 90% accuracie I can tell a pure from a mix
post #14 of 29
I just smile and nod...
However if I see a dog that looks like a mix of a particular breed, I might ask "Is that a ____ mix?"

Well I have to say I have a purebred dog who does not look like people expect the breed to look. A lot of people mistake her for an Irish Setter but she is all Golden. Most people are used to seeing the blonde stocky type of Golden, but Ginger is a field-type or hunting-type Golden and they are often varying shades of red with a different (lighter) build and different coat type than the show-type Goldens or the 'pet' Goldens most people are used to! However I'm used to people thinking she's either a Setter or a mix so if they ask I just tell them nope, she's a Golden Retriever. If they say something like "Oh! I never knew they could be red!" I may explain about the field-type Golden.
One person asked me if my dog was a mixed breed, and when I told them she was a Golden she said she never knew they could have a different-colored face. It took me a second to realize what the person meant-- they were talking about her 'graying' face, I guess they thought she was born with a white head! I explained that it was just her aging and getting a "white face" as Goldens often do.
post #15 of 29
Kinda like I get with Keno - she's probably 100% lab but she's more of the "field" type of lab. Longer head/slendar body. She's the proper height/weight for a female lab too.

Most people think that labs are supposed to be 70-90 or 100 lbs - WRONG. The standard is 55-70 for females and 70-85 for males when grown. I've seen so many overweight and too large labs!

We took Keno to a lab fest in MN and someone brought their 6-7 month old female pup - Keno's about that size. That's why everyone thinks she's still a pup instead of a 5 yr old dog. But she's at the proper weight. And I make sure people KNOW she's what a lab is supposed to be.
post #16 of 29
Yeah it's weird, people often comment that Ginger is a small Golden but she's not! I guess they are used to monster dogs. Ginger is actually over standard height for a female Golden, she is at the top height for males but is within the standard weight for a female (due to her lighter/slimmer build) at 62-65 lbs.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekochan View Post
I just smile and nod...
However if I see a dog that looks like a mix of a particular breed, I might ask "Is that a ____ mix?"

Well I have to say I have a purebred dog who does not look like people expect the breed to look. A lot of people mistake her for an Irish Setter but she is all Golden. Most people are used to seeing the blonde stocky type of Golden, but Ginger is a field-type or hunting-type Golden and they are often varying shades of red with a different (lighter) build and different coat type than the show-type Goldens or the 'pet' Goldens most people are used to! However I'm used to people thinking she's either a Setter or a mix so if they ask I just tell them nope, she's a Golden Retriever. If they say something like "Oh! I never knew they could be red!" I may explain about the field-type Golden.
About 1970 my sister adopted a dog who had the golden build but the Irish setter red color. He may have been this type. (Abandoned, the vet said he was old, also deaf and had a fatty tumor on his hip. Sis had the tumor removed. He lived for another couple years and was best known for keeping an eye on my niece when sis was working in their yard. He would lay in front of her walker if he thought niece was heading too far away. Unable to go further, she'd then scream and cry until sis turned her around. The cries never bothered him because he couldn't hear her. )
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wommers View Post
Working in veterinary medicine I saw a LOT of 'purebred' pets. Half the time I could even tell what they ACTUALLY were.

It got on my nerves, but more from a perspective of scientific accuracy. It also bothers me a little because--while I have no problem whatsoever with people who want purebred animals, I feel like getting a purebred animal should involve some amount of research and a trip to a responsible breeder.

A responsible breeder is not going to sell you a mix and lie to you about what it is. And if you've done the research I feel people ought to do before they decide on a purebred AND which breed, then people should KNOW the dog is not what it is being billed as.

If you don't actually care what breed the dog is enough to research before buying, then why not just get a dog from a shelter? Hopefully I'm making sense.

But basically, if I decided I wanted a purebred animal, it would be because I liked the appearance, and I liked what I had read about the breed's personality and special needs. To know those things, I would have to do research first. If I do research, I'm going to know that that's a bonafide mutt and not a purebred animal.

To me, someone who claims to have a purebred that is clearly NOT a purebred bought the animal with very little knowledge and probably on impulse. These things CAN, of course, work out, and ultimately I'm sure they make very good pet owners, but it's still just ... baffling to me. Maybe I'm just too logical.

That said, purebred Chihuahuas show a LOT of diversity in morphology. The dog could WELL be a Chihuahua, just not one of the same type of breeding stock as yours. He may not ever win in a show ring, but he could still be a purebreed.
I deffinitely agree with you about all the crap people buy from the pet shop. Why ON EARTH would you spend that much for a mutt!!!?!!!! I would have bought Thor from a shelter if they ever had puppy Chi's. However, my rule of thumb for dog breeds with common "behavior problems" I REALLY want to meet the parents before I buy one. (Which I did)
post #19 of 29
My cousin was told this dog was a purebred longhaired chihuahua when she got him as a puppy.



Um, no.
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
Oh my goodness!
post #21 of 29
well its OBVIOUS that they shaved the long hair off
post #22 of 29
You would be surprised at how many purebreds show up in a shelter.
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by zao_cat View Post
You would be surprised at how many purebreds show up in a shelter.
I would not my papered yorkie was gotten at a shelter...
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
My cousin was told this dog was a purebred longhaired chihuahua when she got him as a puppy.



Um, no.
Goodness! Clipped corgi cross, anyone?
post #25 of 29
We once found a small dog in our back yard that was out in a storm. We bathed her, dried her, and called our vet with her tag number... All the while I was thinking that she was an IG/jack russel, or similar mix. When the relieved owners arrived the next day they said she was a purebred jackrussel... NO WAY was this dog a JRT. WAAAY too calm and had limbs/neck that were too racey looking.

There are a LOT of bybs in my area and hardly any really good breeders, so people mostly go to the bybs. I've also seen many "chihuahuas" that looked like IG/chihuahua mixes in this area.

I think that most people that go to bybs don't really have much experience with the breed they get and do not do much research before hand.
Art
post #26 of 29
Definately! I've worked in boarding kennels and vets offices. The best two I can think of was an "Irish Water Spaniel" which was definately a chocolate lab/poodle. And a Border Collie who I swear up and down was a black and white sheltie (it was only like 15 lbs). Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking, if they just continue to lie to themselves until it becomes true.
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areias View Post
Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking, if they just continue to lie to themselves until it becomes true.
Yeah I think your right on that one!!!! Muts are great dogs but don't give purebred dogs a bad name!!!! I've met a few people who claimed to have "purebred" labs, but they were nasty/aggressive dogs who were built much more like pits......
post #28 of 29
I like to show them pictures of what the 'real breed' looks like...Lol!! I also like to 'remind them' that only actual Kennel Clubs are your assurance of a purebred dog; the papers that lady has on that "Chihuahua" are not what I would consider valid; I only consider a dog purebred if a person can show me papers from a real registry like AKC, CKC etc. The 'pet registry' is just that...anything can be registered, and people can 'claim' it is purebred, but it probably isn't...which is why it isn't registered with AKC in the first place...DUH!!!
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areias View Post
Definately! I've worked in boarding kennels and vets offices. The best two I can think of was an "Irish Water Spaniel" which was definately a chocolate lab/poodle. And a Border Collie who I swear up and down was a black and white sheltie (it was only like 15 lbs). Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking, if they just continue to lie to themselves until it becomes true.
There is a breed called the Irish Water Spaniel...they have a build similar to a 'lab' (but not so stocky, and have a much more refined face, and bigger drop ears), and the coat is chocolate colored, and has a dense coat full of tightish curls, much like a poodle who went through the wash but didn't get dried with a proper dryer right away!

http://www.akc.org/breeds/irish_water_spaniel/index.cfm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cats and Other Animals
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › Cats and Other Animals › When you see a "purebred" dog do you say something???