TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Can I wait one more month? ~Mulit-cat owner question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can I wait one more month? ~Mulit-cat owner question

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
OK
My crew is due to get the snip and fix.

They will be 5 months this month.

Cumulous is showing some aggressive signs (he is the alpha in the house) to Pumpkin and she is fearing him a bit. He does not show any aggressive signs to us though.

Coconut on the other hand has no care in the world.

I found a clinic that will accept the coupons I got for lost cost spay neuter since I have more than one, but they cannot get us in until next month.

So 6 weeks from today..

do you think I can wait 6 more weeks or could Cumi start spraying at 5 months or worse yet get Pumpkin preggo now?

What is everyone's experience/wisdom here?

I DO have an appt. this Wednesday for them with another clinic- but I can save $40.00 if I can wait until next month to go with this other clinic.

Help ASAP as I need to call this other clinic back today to let them know before the slot is gone next month.
TIA!
post #2 of 26
If you do choose to wait another month, I would keep those cats STRICTLY seperated from each other. They can spray and get each other prego at 4-5 months old at the youngest so yes, there is a good chance one could get pregnant. And remember that the cat doesn't have to be in heat to get pregnant. As soon as the male decides he is interested, he will go for it.
post #3 of 26
I NEVER have them neutered before 6 months to allow for complete developement. I have waited till 7 months without any spraying going on, I think that starts a little later, I would take precautions though against pregnancy. Just in case. Other than that, I don't think another month will make a difference, if anything, it is better for the animal.
post #4 of 26
Is that $40 all together or $40 per cat?

If it's 40 overall I think I'd do it now and not take the chance of one of the girls getting preggers or the boy spraying. If it's $40/cat then I'd follow Jen's advice and keep them apart. I'd also keep a close eye on your boy and his potty habits... especially since you said he's the alpha.
post #5 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
Is that $40 all together or $40 per cat?

.
no it is 40 total....
post #6 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
I NEVER have them neutered before 6 months to allow for complete developement. I have waited till 7 months without any spraying going on, I think that starts a little later, I would take precautions though against pregnancy. Just in case. Other than that, I don't think another month will make a difference, if anything, it is better for the animal.
Just curious why let their reproductive organs fully develop if you are going ot have them removed anyways?
post #7 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
If you do choose to wait another month, I would keep those cats STRICTLY seperated from each other. They can spray and get each other prego at 4-5 months old at the youngest so yes, there is a good chance one could get pregnant. And remember that the cat doesn't have to be in heat to get pregnant. As soon as the male decides he is interested, he will go for it.
Jen thanks...question...
Have you ever had a 4/5 month old kit preggers?
yes yes....I know my Pumpkin does not have to be in heat to get preggo ...
post #8 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
Just curious why let their reproductive organs fully develop if you are going ot have them removed anyways?
yes ditto on that question
post #9 of 26
I'm not sure if I'd find it worth the $40 to risk the chance of pregnancy or spraying. Once a cat starts going out of the box it's hard to stop.
post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
I'm not sure if I'd find it worth the $40 to risk the chance of pregnancy or spraying. Once a cat starts going out of the box it's hard to stop.
So you think chances are good that my 5 next month 6 month old alpha male could start spraying, eh?
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
If you do choose to wait another month, I would keep those cats STRICTLY seperated from each other. They can spray and get each other prego at 4-5 months old at the youngest so yes, there is a good chance one could get pregnant. And remember that the cat doesn't have to be in heat to get pregnant. As soon as the male decides he is interested, he will go for it.


To add a little note, females will also spray if in heat. I don't know if you've got 2 boys & 1 girl, or 2 girls & 1 boy, but if it's only 1 boy I'd have him done. My vet neuters boys at 4-5 months but doesn't spay females until 6 months. I'd make sure I've got an appointment for female. I know people are often more worried about the spraying, but if you get your little girl spayed before her first heat her risk of mammory cancer goes to almost zero.
post #12 of 26
I'd do it now....long run $40 is worth it....you risk having preggo kitties, spraying, etc. If it were me, I'd do it now.
post #13 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
I'd do it now....long run $40 is worth it....you risk having preggo kitties, spraying, etc. If it were me, I'd do it now.
OK Nat
thank you..I was hoping you would chime in....
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfairie View Post
So you think chances are good that my 5 next month 6 month old alpha male could start spraying, eh?
I can't really say. I had Wickett neutered between 5-6 months and he wasn't spraying but he also wasn't alpha. I'm just speculating really. Plus, I do have experience with an "out-of-box" cat and it's been an ongoing problem for 6+ years.
post #15 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
I'm not sure if I'd find it worth the $40 to risk the chance of pregnancy or spraying. Once a cat starts going out of the box it's hard to stop.
Yes twstychik
This is exactly my concern...I just was not sure how chancey it was for me to take at this age
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfairie View Post
Yes twstychik
This is exactly my concern...I just was not sure how chancey it was for me to take at this age
I think they are plenty old enough given they are a minimum weight. I can't remember what weight that is though. I want to say 3lbs. and thats just to ensure that the sedation doesn't harm them.
post #17 of 26
Its fine to wait - however you NEED to separate the males and females - keep them in separate rooms till they are spayed/neutered. Kittens as young as 4-5 months old can and do breed.
post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
I can't really say. I had Wickett neutered between 5-6 months and he wasn't spraying but he also wasn't alpha..
hhmm yeah..Comulous is def the alpha..he bosses Pumpkin and Coconut around all day long...

you can see it in his body movements and the cat communication battles

yet he still nurses himself to sleep
post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by twstychik View Post
I think they are plenty old enough given they are a minimum weight. I can't remember what weight that is though. I want to say 3lbs. and thats just to ensure that the sedation doesn't harm them.
they are all over 3lbs..the boys are 4+ actually...I know their weight is good for the procedure but I was not sure how young the start spraying
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Just curious why let their reproductive organs fully develop if you are going ot have them removed anyways?
Well, in the males, there used to be concern that if the ureatha (in the penis) was not to full size, it could cause problem with passing struvite crystals. I know now that some vets have started neutering males when they are kittens. I do not subscribe to this whether they say it is ok or not. I would not want to take the chance, and none of my males sprayed even at 7 months.

For the females, I am not sure if it is an issue, but it makes sense to me to make sure all systems have had a chance to fully mature before nuetering takes place. I am thinking with cats, as with humans, the hormones affect all aspects of development, not just the sex organs.

My philosophy for any surgery in any body is, don't do it until it is neccesary.
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfairie View Post
hhmm yeah..Comulous is def the alpha..he bosses Pumpkin and Coconut around all day long...

you can see it in his body movements and the cat communication battles

yet he still nurses himself to sleep
Jordan is my Alpha and he is the biggest momma's boy of them all. He fake suckles on my arm every night. For Jordan the alpha thing is a self protection stance. If he's the biggest and tuffest no one will mess with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
For the females, I am not sure if it is an issue, but it makes sense to me to make sure all systems have had a chance to fully mature before nuetering takes place. I am thinking with cats, as with humans, the hormones affect all aspects of development, not just the sex organs.
I don't know about the males, but I do know that by 7 months females have been in heat at least once. Research has shown that spaying a female before her first heat is better for her health. It reduced the risk of mammory cancer to almost zero, and her risk increases with each heat cycle. So I belive in spaying by 6 months. Yes some females go into heat before 6 months, but the spay surgeory is much more difficult than a neuter.
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang_27 View Post
For Jordan the alpha thing is a self protection stance. If he's the biggest and tuffest no one will mess with him.


Yep that is Cumi too... he walks around in a circle with one shoulder up, arched back and a tail held high.....
post #23 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfairie View Post

Yep that is Cumi too... he walks around in a circle with one shoulder up, arched back and a tail held high.....
Jordan's not as much of a bully as Isaac is, but Isaac is the most afraid of everything. I think Isaac would be alpha if Jordan hadn't been around first.
post #24 of 26
If you don't spay the girl cat at the same time and just get your boy done, you will still have to keep them separated for a few weeks as he can still get her pregnant for a short while after sterilization.
post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 
ok well they are all going on Wednesday like I already had scheduled....$40 is a lot of $$ (gas prices today!) I think but not worth the spraying and/or Pumpkin getting preggers.. I think it is too chancey for me to wait 6 more weeks..I could be OK but who knows...too risky
post #26 of 26
I agree, that's probably the best choice and one I would make too. It's just too big of a chance for all the other things. Best of luck with it!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › Can I wait one more month? ~Mulit-cat owner question