Harvey went to the Bridge today

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harvey's battle is over, and he's gone to the bridge.

For those who don't already know this, my 18-year-old boy, Harvey, was diagnosed with intestinal lymphoma a couple months ago. We decided not to put him through chemotherapy or surgeries and to let him pass in peace. We've been doing anything we can to minimize his discomfort, but not to prolong his life. It was a hard decision, but I feel it was the right one.

My husband and I are currently out of town in Arizona visiting my MIL, who has mid-stage Alzheimer's disease. It was a very difficult decision to leave Harvey, but it's also important that DH and I spend time with my MIL while we can. My 22-year-old stepson, who has been Harvey's "boy" his whole life. (Harvey and my stepson came to live with us eight years ago when DH's ex had to move out of state.) When we left on Friday, Harvey was a little weak, but doing pretty well, but he's gone downhill fast in the last couple days.

Last night and this morning, Harvey became completely lethargic and stopped eating. Our regular vet was closed this afternoon, so my stepson took him to an emergency vet that his mother has a relationship with. (His mother is a wonderful animal person who has cats of her own and volunteers at a shelter, so I trust her judgement.) The vet called me and it was his opinion that Harvey was in really bad shape and it was time to let him go. So we made the decision to put him down.

My stepson opted to stay with him when they put Harvey to sleep. I understand that his passing was peaceful and fairly quick. Even though we're all incredibly sad and it was a very difficult thing for my stepson to have to go through, I'm so very proud that we've raised a man who has love and respect for animals. I feel horrible that I wasn't there with him, but it means so much that Harvey was with someone who loved him, and who he loved, when the time came.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful thing for your stepson to do.
I'm sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, Harvey.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss, but what a loving, caring stepson you have

RIP sweet Harvey, may you play happily over the Rainbow Bridge

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Play happily over the Rainbow Bridge Harvey!

Tari, I'm sorry you couldn't be there for him....but you know have the most compassionate step-son ever. It is truly difficult to be there with them, to the end.

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you had to make that decision while you were away. Rest in peace Harvey.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss Tari
Sending lots of prayers

Rest in peace dear Harvey

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your and your family's great loss, Tari.
Harvey had a lifetime of love, and his passing was no different - filled with love and compassion. And love does not know distance, Harvey felt your presence there with him as well as the physical arms (and tears, I'm sure) of your step-son.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RIP Harvey!

What a wonderful son you must have to make that kind of heartbreaking commitment! Harvey knew he was well loved, may Harvey play happily, and whole, over the bridge!

smsinga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Harvey is in good company now at the bridge; your stepson is a blessing to your family, I am sorry for your loss. RIP Harvey.

San.