TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food › Should I switch to raw and why?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I switch to raw and why?

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I'm am hearing more and more good things about feeding a raw diet to cats and I have a few quick questions.

1. Is it easy to switch from kibble to raw?
2. Is it as simple as throwing down some cut up chicken/beef/etc. in her bowl?
3. How do you add the essential nutrients like Taurine?
4. Would it help her constipation problems? Right now she's on lactulose stool softener which has been decreased since she's been on Orijen.
5. Would it help her lose weight (she needs to)?

Any tips for a raw-diet beginner would be helpful in making my decision. Thanks everyone (and most likely Sharky)!
post #2 of 24
1. Is it easy to switch from kibble to raw?
Depends on the cat my Kandie did easily but Zoey still wont
2. Is it as simple as throwing down some cut up chicken/beef/etc. in her bowl?
NO NO NO ... 70 meat ... 10-15 organ .. 10 bone and 3-5 veggie or grain as needed or desired
3. How do you add the essential nutrients like Taurine?
I do some dont ... I highly recommend a few supplements and AVOID many but that is a VET discussion
4. Would it help her constipation problems? Right now she's on lactulose stool softener which has been decreased since she's been on Orijen.
lol... the main complaint of raw done wrong is constipation... I would NOT suggest it until a good sit down with the vet ... since it has a moisture level similiar to canned it MAY NOT be best for you
5. Would it help her lose weight (she needs to)?
It can but see last comment again

TALK with a vet unless you want to devote hours and hours to research and more to trial and lots of error... NOTE I did raw with a ALREADY CRF cat and it was great for over a yr
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks Sharky. Exactly what I wanted to know. Sounds more complicated than I'm really ready to deal with, at least until I do more research and talk with my vet. For now, I think I'll stick with Orijen because it's working and she's doing well on it.
post #4 of 24
post #5 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickyTat View Post
Thanks Sharky. Exactly what I wanted to know. Sounds more complicated than I'm really ready to deal with, at least until I do more research and talk with my vet. For now, I think I'll stick with Orijen because it's working and she's doing well on it.
THAT is a perfect example of WHY NOT to...lmao.. YOU found something she is doing well on .. If it aint broke WHY try to FIX it ??
post #6 of 24
Thread Starter 
LOL! Oh I don't know why... I was just wondering how hard it really was to switch and what the benefits were because although I've heard a lot of people talk about it, I haven't really paid much attention. And I also read somewhere (possibly here) that the long-term feeding of Orijen was not good. I would only switch if there was a good reason to and for now I'll just keep her on the Orijen and research Raw some more just to learn more about it. Thanks!
post #7 of 24
Sent ya a PM any?? s just holler you know how to reach me;0
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
THAT is a perfect example of WHY NOT to...lmao.. YOU found something she is doing well on .. If it aint broke WHY try to FIX it ??
I don't understand this, are you telling tricky not to attempt to switch from hard to raw food if there aren't any problems. From my little experience and from what I've read Raw is the absolute best food to give. The only negatives I've found so far are it's less convenient and they pee a bit more.
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
I don't understand this, are you telling tricky not to attempt to switch from hard to raw food if there aren't any problems. From my little experience and from what I've read Raw is the absolute best food to give. The only negatives I've found so far are it's less convenient and they pee a bit more.
Mitties has had LOTS of issues.... RAW at this pt is NOT likely her best option but her current food is handling her issues ...Raw is the best for many if it can be used but it has far more drawbacks than you list... feel free to Pm me...
post #10 of 24
If you don't have time to make a home made raw diet several companies sell pre-mixed raw food. I feed my kittens Nature's Variety and Bravo, they seem to love it.
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Mitties has had LOTS of issues.... RAW at this pt is NOT likely her best option but her current food is handling her issues ...Raw is the best for many if it can be used but it has far more drawbacks than you list... feel free to Pm me...
Sharky, can you list some of these drawbacks.

Ticky, have you tried giving your cat small pieces of meat? It took a while for my older boy to start eating Raw, my kittens took to it right away, and my girl still won't eat it. Now my older boy will throw up if I give him anything else and my boys will have bad diarrhea.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
Sharky, can you list some of these drawbacks.

Ticky, have you tried giving your cat small pieces of meat? It took a while for my older boy to start eating Raw, my kittens took to it right away, and my girl still won't eat it. Now my older boy will throw up if I give him anything else and my boys will have bad diarrhea.
I will have a PM conversation since you seem to not be seeing the whole picture ... ... Raw is fine for many but it can make some conditions worse IE constipation
post #13 of 24
A private conversation only gives me an explanation, now everyone understands why you think Raw isn't the best option.
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
A private conversation only gives me an explanation, now everyone understands why you think Raw isn't the best option.
I think it is a option for many ... Just on a case by case basis... which is why PM on this kind of thing is BEST
post #15 of 24
I think what Sharky is trying to say, and it has also been discussed with those who feed raw, that raw feeding is not the best option for many cats and people. While a wild cat's diet is raw, most domestic cats have been "domesticated" for many generations and might not be able to properly digest raw. Feeding raw requires a lot of time, money and dedication from the owner as well, something I know I'm not willing and or able to do.

Also, considering that many vets do not know much about what dry foods to feed, I'd be willing to bet that even fewer vets are knowledgable about raw. If Mitties is doing well on Orijen, which I'm lead to believe is an excellent food, than why mess with a good thing?
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
I think what Sharky is trying to say, and it has also been discussed with those who feed raw, that raw feeding is not the best option for many cats and people. While a wild cat's diet is raw, most domestic cats have been "domesticated" for many generations and might not be able to properly digest raw. Feeding raw requires a lot of time, money and dedication from the owner as well, something I know I'm not willing and or able to do.

Also, considering that many vets do not know much about what dry foods to feed, I'd be willing to bet that even fewer vets are knowledgable about raw. If Mitties is doing well on Orijen, which I'm lead to believe is an excellent food, than why mess with a good thing?
I just had to jump in here and agree. I always get fearful when I see posts about feeding raw. I worry that too many people don't get all the facts and work with their vets regarding raw feeding. I also worry that some folks think that buying some raw meat, cutting it up and feeding it to their cat is a "raw diet" when in fact it is NOT. Raw diets need to be made up with additives that aren't in the raw meat but would be obtained if they were eating the whole animal in the wild.

I also am not interested in going the raw route. I feed good quality commercial food and my cats are healthy and happy. I have enough chores and with working full time, I have neither the inclination nor the time to start fiddling with raw diets.
post #17 of 24
I respect sharkys opinion but I know if these questions were asked on any of the yahoo raw newsgroups, many wise cat lovers would suggest she try to switch over to raw. I try to keep an open mind and get as many opinions as possible.
post #18 of 24
I couldn't get my boys to eat a piece of meat if their lives depended on it!

I had never heard anything about a raw diet until I found this website last month! My vet never said anything to me, always telling me it was best with his health issues to use the one I have! I couldn't use the raw either though, I think it would be tricky figuring out how to mix everything right, and so on and so forth!

Anyways, Good luck to ya!!
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
I respect sharkys opinion but I know if these questions were asked on any of the yahoo raw newsgroups, many wise cat lovers would suggest she try to switch over to raw. I try to keep an open mind and get as many opinions as possible.
NOTE that is a RAW feeding group and thus NOT a UNBIASED viewpt
\\
If RAW was the TRUE best for all I am sure that MANY animals in countries that just allowed commercial foods would STILL be using and the commercial foods would NOT be used as much as they are .... Ie ... One of our members lives in Germany where they for many decades had NO commercial food and raw and homemade diets were THE ONLY thing... well the animals there since the commercial foods came in the life spans HAVE GREATLY increased...

Keeping an open mind = getting ALL the facts from legit/as many sources as available and then weighing the best option for that animal...

For me
Kandie at raw with some canned even with CRF it was right for her ...

Zoey only eats raw muscle meat ie not complete thus she gets a commercial dry ( premium quality of course )

Gigi was on raw but upon a liver issue arising and much research by 5 different vets and myself she was placed on homemade //

three animals three VERY different feedings, all three animals were within 3lb s of each other ... IT is what is BEST FOR that INDIVIDUAL animal : based on history , what did and did not work and any issues to be dealt with at that TIME>..

FOR MANY raw is SIMPLY NOT an option ... be it time , a knowledgeable VET , money or an animal that just wont
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
I respect sharkys opinion but I know if these questions were asked on any of the yahoo raw newsgroups, many wise cat lovers would suggest she try to switch over to raw. I try to keep an open mind and get as many opinions as possible.
Now you see, this is EXACTLY what worries me. OPINIONS are NOT facts - never have been, never will be and unfortunately folks come on to these forums and some will ASSUME we ALL KNOW what we are talking about, follow that advice and I seriously worry that many cats may suffer from this lack of FACTUAL knowledge. And I seriously would not expect a "raw newsgroup" to recommend anything other than raw if one is honest.

That is why when asked questions you will see the more long-term members and people who have been around here the longest will ALWAYS advise consulting a vet before you act on any advice.
post #21 of 24
Personally I thought ticky was weighing sharky's opinion too highly, I just wanted to offer other sites with different opinions. No disrespect Sharky. And how can anyone offer anything but opinions in these situations, if you know of an absolute factual guide on how to raise and care for cats please let me know.
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
Personally I thought ticky was weighing sharky's opinion too highly, I just wanted to offer other sites with different opinions. No disrespect Sharky. And how can anyone offer anything but opinions in these situations, if you know of an absolute factual guide on how to raise and care for cats please let me know.
there are many of those, kittens for dummies is a well done and easy to understand guide... Dr pritirains( spelled way off) is a great guide , dr frazier has a good one thou I dont own it ... .. my current guide is my vet , my own background in nutritional science and one natural health book and one oriental medicine book ....

There are always OPTIONS... I gave her the SOLID advice of if kitty is doing well why change it ??

See problems often arise for those not ready to change that go with the "newest wave of this or that"...
post #23 of 24
Thread Starter 
I started this thread to gain more information about feeding raw, like if it was easy to switch over and if it were more beneficial. I have never had much interest in feeding raw because my cat seems to be doing so great on the Orijen and I will keep her on it unless her condition (Megacolon) changes which it won't. The lactulose pretty much keeps that under control.

I am thankful for everyone's advice and opinions, but the bottom line is, what works for one cat will not work for another, and the same goes with the owners.

One should not be ridiculed for not feeding raw. Everyone does what they think is best for their cat. I admit that I cringe whenever I hear that someone is feeding Friskies, Science Diet, or any of those corn and gluten filled foods, but if it is working for their cat, who am I to tell them to switch? That is a decision they must make themselves. With the help of these forums and everyone's wonderful advice and different opinions/experiences, they themselves can decide what's best for their cat(s). After all, isn't that why we're all here? To help and offer advice to each other?
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by TickyTat View Post
I am thankful for everyone's advice and opinions, but the bottom line is, what works for one cat will not work for another, and the same goes with the owners.

YUP , EXACTLY

One should not be ridiculed for not feeding raw. Everyone does what they think is best for their cat. I admit that I cringe whenever I hear that someone is feeding Friskies, Science Diet, or any of those corn and gluten filled foods, but if it is working for their cat, who am I to tell them to switch? That is a decision they must make themselves. With the help of these forums and everyone's wonderful advice and different opinions/experiences, they themselves can decide what's best for their cat(s). After all, isn't that why we're all here? To help and offer advice to each other?
I am glad to know I am not the only one cringing at times
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food › Should I switch to raw and why?