TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › there is mould all over...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

there is mould all over...

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I CANT BELIEVE IT!!!

two weeks ago i noticed mould in the bathroom around the window, i bought some mould remover and it kind of worked with a lot of scrubbing, last week we saw 3 small patches in the lounge room.

Now there is mould all over one wall in the bedroom, its spreading and its not easy to remove unless i rip down the wallpaper! I dont know what to do! its Disgusting and I am so angry, what if it effects the health of us and the Cats.

What should I do in this Situation?? I didn't have this last winter!
post #2 of 13
Is there a lot of condensation in the place?.

You need a word with your landlord because if theres damp coming through he needs to sort it out because it's not good for your health
post #3 of 13
It will affect your health and the cats health. You must have a leak somewhere behind that wall, is the dryer blowing it's steam there? You will have to get a contractor, who will have to locate the problem, and I am thinking you will have to get rid of the wall paper and even look behind the wall. then the entire area must be treated and scrubbed with clorox on hard surfaces, and several scrubs with borax on wood (if it doesn't have to be replaced). You need to address it ASAP cause the spores will go through the house, you really should relocate yourself and the cats, or at the very least close off that room.
sorry for the bad news.
post #4 of 13
Can you find out what the humidity levels are??? In the US its housing code that one has to have a fan or a window in the bathroom. Can you get a small fan???
Mold is best removed with bleach but wear rubber/latex gloves and can you get a dispoable face mask (from a paint store)??
post #5 of 13
You can't get rid of mould by washing walls. Walls are porous and the mould hides inside the pores of the walls and you are only seeing it once it's grown enough to show outside the pores.

Mould like that is harmful and can cause all kinds of health problems.

Your landlord needs to rip out the walls and replace the drywall, if even that will work. It could be all inside the wood inside too.

Many houses that have experienced severe flooding end up having to be torn down because of the mould problems.
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
You can't get rid of mould by washing walls. Walls are porous and the mould hides inside the pores of the walls and you are only seeing it once it's grown enough to show outside the pores.

Mould like that is harmful and can cause all kinds of health problems.

Your landlord needs to rip out the walls and replace the drywall, if even that will work. It could be all inside the wood inside too.

Many houses that have experienced severe flooding end up having to be torn down because of the mould problems.
This house is made out of brick! I called my landlady yesterday and she wasnt in the office but i left a message on her answering machine and im awaiting for a reply, as soon as i go into work today i will call her again
post #7 of 13
If your house is made of brick, this could be a very serious problem because there most likely is a lot more mold you can't see in the walls. The brick foundation may have a leak somewhere and once moisture is trapped in, it is a breeding ground for mold. Please follow through and do all you can to take care of you and yours.....I just had a similar situation with black mold in an apartment I lived in in Manhattan. Landlords suck when it comes repairs, but this is even worse! Good luck!
post #8 of 13
Definitely keep on your landladies back Fran, because mould can get onto chest and that's when the problems start

Were probably scaring you by what were saying but this can be a health issue for you all
post #9 of 13
I had some growing on my baseboards last summer..I just told my landlord and she got me a dehumidifier. It hasn't grown anywhere since..
post #10 of 13
I agree with everyone else's advice, but would like to add:

Once the mould remediation is done, can your landlord install exhaust fans in the ceilings (or at least in the bathroom ceiling?) Here, in the U.S, they only cost about $30. When we moved in, we installed them in the 2 upstairs bathrooms, which are the ones that have baths and showers. It does really help, but you have to be very good about using them each time you have a chance of steaming up the bathroom. Despite this, I still get occasional mould on the shower curtain liner, but I think that's just normal for a shower curtain. (On that, and when I got mildew on the tub caulking on the previous tub, I bought this great bleach spray, Great Value brand, from WalMart--.94! It worked wonders on the caulk and curtain--I just sprayed it on, left it--no rubbing, etc.--at the mould went away in a few hours).

If the wallboard around the tub or shower needs replacing, I highly suggest using a special type of "backer board" that is mould-resistant (we just did this in one bathroom, even though it wasn't an issue--we we re-tiling th e surround, and used it.)

Also, the wrong type of paint in bathrooms can peel up. The previous owners had used the wrong paint, and the paint always bubbled up. We finally re-did it last summer, and have had no problems. You need bathroom/kitchen paint type.

I hope you can get this resolved very soon!
post #11 of 13
How often are you airing the apartment, Fran? Given the way the houses are built here, you have to air every room at least twice a day for a good five minutes with the windows wide open, not just cracked from the top. If the windows are "fairly" new, meaning double or triple glazed, you may have to do it three times a day. That's usually written right in the lease - look for "Stoßlüftung". You'll have to confine Teufel and Kaylee to one room while you air the others.

I hope your landlady gets back to you soon about the mold. Where's the bedroom in relation to the bathroom? I suspect a leak.

Folks, your advice about wallboard and exhaust fans is well-meant, but that's not the way 95% of the houses/buildings are constructed here. Walls, floors and ceilings are literally solid, made out of some sort of cinder block or clay brick, then plastered and painted, tiled, or wallpapered. If there's a leak or you need a new power line, it's a major job.
post #12 of 13
yea definitely make sure your landlord gets it fixed sooner than later! The drywall will need to be replaced! And you might want to get your house checked out!

We had to move out of my high school my sophmore year because of Black Mold. We ended up spending 6 weeks taking classes in the suites of the Bristol Motor Speedway...
post #13 of 13
Do you have a dehumidifier??? My granny has to have one run almost constanly in her finished basement. It gets moldy really quickly and the humidifier works great to solve the problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › there is mould all over...