My adopted daughter's Grandma died

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got an e-mail, that my daughters Birth Grandma , (who she adores) has died, I have tried to explain it to Raina , she is only 4, she just says I don't like that, cause I love my grandma
she was a wondeful grandma too my daughter, and also treated my other children really well. She was a great lady and I am going to miss her.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I just got an e-mail, that my daughters Birth Grandma , (who she adores) has died, I have tried to explain it to Raina , she is only 4, she just says I don't like that, cause I love my grandma
she was a wondeful grandma too my daughter, and also treated my other children really well. She was a great lady and I am going to miss her.
Oh no! I hope your daughter understands. I can't imagine what I would feel if my biological grandma died when I was young. She's the main reason that my sisters and I are still alive. Does she still have a grandpa though? I hope she does.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.

I think Raina probably understands. She isn't accepting it yet, but she understands. In a sense, death is easier for young children because their minds are still very open. Let her guide you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the thing that saddens me the most, is that Grandma was her only connect to her birth family, she has two older sisters 17 and 11 years old, who are being raised by other family members. Raina's birth mother died when she was 5 weeks old.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My deepest condolences to you and your daughter. I don't know your personal beliefs, but if yours are at all like mine, I would explain to Raina at some point that her grandmother's spirit lives forever, and is always with her, and that she can keep her memory in her heart and mind, and she will be with her always. I lost my grandfather when I was 6, but he's always been a part of my life, and always will be.