Excessive water consumption??

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I have a new question about my cat boo who I have posted about a couple of times before.

Boo has always drank almost exclusively out of the kitchen and bathroom faucets. She sits in the sink when she is thirsty until we turn the water onto a trickle and then she will drink. We have several bowls of water throughout the house for her and our other cat but she generally ignores these and waits patiently in the sink. Occasionally when she drinks from the faucets, she will soon after vomit up water only. Also when scooping out her litter box every day I have noticed that she pees ALOT more then our other cat.

My question is: can too much water hurt her? I always thought it was a cute habit she had (drinking from faucets) and thought that water was good for her. Over the weekend though my sister suggested that she may have something wrong with her which makes her excessively thirsty like diabetes. She was healthy at her last vet visit but I did not think to mention her drinking habits as I never thought it to be a health problem.

Any thoughts or comments are appriciated! Thanks!!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GET HER to a VET ASAP...

How old is she

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because she has symptoms of chronic renal failure, or, as you mentioned, excess water consumption and frequent urination can also be symptoms of diabetes. Please get Boo to her Vet immediately to have her senior labs done. The sooner she begins treatment the better her quality of life in the future.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take her to the vet, just to be safe.

If your cat likes flowing water out of the faucet, you should look into a pet water fountain. My cats love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok I made her an appointment for 10:30 tomorrow. i am really worried now, i just thought it was cute that she did that

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dont worry.. CRF if that is what is , which I do suspect is treatable... My Kandie lived 4 yrs after diagnosis and she was 14 ...

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As already stated, please don't worry. You're doing the very best thing taking her to her Vet. My sweet Sierra, age 13, was diagnosed in 2004, and with a change in diet and certain rituals, she's wonderfully healthy now!

chloe12.5

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DawnofSierra, What is the new diet you put your cat on for CRF and what rituals are you doing? My cat was diagnosed last year and we are struggling with the food. She seems to really like licking the gravy in the can food and when it dries up, I have to add a little bit of water. Any suggestions are helpful. We tried food for CRF and found it to be too dry. Thank you. Chloe's mom

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got the call from my vet that boo has kidney failure, i am totally devistated and I am in tears as i type this. I have stopped at the library to use the computer and post and get some info so I wont be back until tomorrow but thank you for the advice to get her to the vet asap. i have brought her home tonight but have to bring her back in tomorrow for iv fluids. i just cant believe this. boo is my best friend and i cant believe this is happening to her when she is only 7 years old...

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Aww, so sorry it wasn't better news. As others have said, this can be a very treatable condition. You'll find a lot of great advice here. Good vibes to your baby.

gidgetcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about Boo, but hopefully with proper treatment, she can be with you for a long time to come.

Has the vet offered any idea how this might have happened to her? Did she eat any of the recalled food by chance?

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the vet asked what her diet was and i told her and then she asked if she had been outside (she hadnt) or if she had eaten any house plants ( i only have one small fern that boo does not go after) . i was so hysterical when the vet called that I had to have someone else talk to her. she is going to get fluids tomorrow and an ultra sound of the kidneys, they are also doing a urine test in case it is a UTI but i know it is not that. I just feel so terrible for poor boo

gidgetcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have they done blood work to absolutely determine kidney failure? One of my cats started drinking extra water and it ended up being a UTI. If they have done blood work, you should get a copy so you know the kidney values (creatanine and BUN). That will help you have a better idea of where Boo stands. Be sure to look at these sites that provide great amounts of information:

http://www.felinecrf.org/
http://www.felinecrf.com/

Most importantly, stay strong for your kitty and know that we're here for support!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your poor baby! you're in the perfect place though. My kitty has FIP and everyone here has been so supportive! I hope your baby has a happy ending! I've given mine IV fluids at home, it doesn't bother me and its easier than to have to take em in everytime they get dehydrated! Im prayin' your way!

Glitch's Mom
Amber

booboo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your posts everyone and the links to the CRF sites, i did not even realize that sticky at the top of the forum pertained to boo's condition and i was browsing through it last night. it really made me feel better that CRF is not causing boo much pain. So here are her BUN and creatin levels that I had the vet fax me this morning. I did check the links and saw that they are elevated...

BUN 61
CREA 3.9

I am taking her to another vet to get a second opinion about how to treat her CRF. My vet told me that they wanted to hydrate her for five days at the animal hospital but I really dont want to leave boo there!!!
I would like to learn how to hydrate her at home and hopefully this other vet will be willing to give me this option... At home she acts fine, eats alot and drinks on her own , sleeps with me and cuddles. it is so hard for me to believe that she is sick!!

tink037

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat doesn't drink out of his water dish. In fact I got rid of it a long time ago because he only drinks out of my cup on the ledge next to my bed! So I made that cup his water cup permanently. I thought it was adorable. Then I noticed that he would continuously drink his water for 1 or 2 minutes each time and that I had to refill it more often. He was also peeing a lot. His blood tests revealed that he has CRF and a UTI but he is still a happy kitty at 16 years old. Just pay attention to any changes in behavior and keep a close eye on your kitty and I'm sure Boo will be okay with such a loving owner. Good luck to both of you!

tsorcus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry about Boo and I hope she gets better. My cat had to be put to sleep for kodney failure age twelve years last January, but her kidneys had shut down completely following an operation. When I asked about her chances before we knew that her kidneys were completely gone they told me that they had one old guy of 21, who had had kidney failure for the last 6 years and was still going strong, so it really isn't a death sentence. As long as you caught it early and she's eating etc. normally and you can get her onto a good diet you should have her for a long time yet. Good luck!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booboo1

I just got the call from my vet that boo has kidney failure, i am totally devistated and I am in tears as i type this. I have stopped at the library to use the computer and post and get some info so I wont be back until tomorrow but thank you for the advice to get her to the vet asap. i have brought her home tonight but have to bring her back in tomorrow for iv fluids. i just cant believe this. boo is my best friend and i cant believe this is happening to her when she is only 7 years old...
I am so sorry to hear that