Did you see this hoarder case?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hoarder cases are always sad and the conditions the animals are in is usually shocking. I believe that the people who do this have a mental problem that needs to be addressed though rather than be jailed.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! One thing I don't understand is how people let something like this get so out of control. You can't tell me neighbors didn't notice this hoarder 150 dogs ago. It's really sad and this person probably thought they were helping these animals (which is probably true if they were rescued animals).

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

Hoarder cases are always sad and the conditions the animals are in is usually shocking. I believe that the people who do this have a mental problem that needs to be addressed though rather than be jailed.
These cases make me so sad for both the humans and the animals. I'm sure she thought she was helping, then got overwhelmed, then probably got scared that exactly this would happen

I hope everyone gets the help they need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

It is very sad for the woman and the poor animals. What I don't get is that supposedly most of the dogs were purebreds that she had purchased. Here is something else I don't get; one of the articles I read said: Long-time Lee County Animal Control Warden Jack Nicklaus says Munroe's own health was starting to deteriorate. She called them in tears last week asking for help. Investigators say the living conditions could be a sign of mental illness. "I'm not a doctor so it's very hard for me to say, but seeing this property, I would think something is not right," says Whitcombe. Animal Control searched the home after Munroe failed to bring 35 of her dogs in for rabies shots.

If she had been taking her dogs in for rabies shots, Animal Control had a record of how many dogs she owned. Had they never been to her property to inspect it to see if she was properly caring for so many? And not that it would have made a difference but where was Animal Control when she called to ask for help?

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live about a half hour from the organization that helped with the rescue. Their website is www.tailshumanesociety.org and they are in desperate need of supplies because of this rescue. They have used up all of their existing resources because of this rescue. I just made a donation online and if anyone can help, they would greatly appreciate it.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it's just so sad. I can't believe so many were purebreeds. Surely they wouldn't have been rescues Did they keep reproducing or were most neutered/spayed?!?

How can Animal Control not visit when someone has a record of 35 dogs needing vacs? 35 is too many/suspicious whoever they are and how ever old they are.

I feel for all involved....

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I couldn't agree more. Just very sad. I am glad that she at least made the call to get some help so it wouldn't continue.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That call will probably mean she gets off pretty lightly... though if I were the judge I would order therapy, ASAP, whatever other punishment she got. Hoarding like this really does involve mental illness--usually obsessive-compulsive disorder. If you've ever read about OCD, it's miserable for the person who has it; but there are ways to make life easier for people with OCD, both medical and therapy/education strategies. OCD basically means your brain gets stuck on something, a thought or an action you feel forced to perform... anxiety mounts until you finally give in and do whatever it is your brain's stuck on. So if it gets stuck on animals... well, you see the results... But OCD can be helped, like I said; what'd be really sad is if she gets off with a fine and doesn't get help; because if she does, she'll be right back to hoarding...

missmun52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
very sad and horrible. I feel so bad for the animals but someone does not do this without some type of mental problem, I mean she lived in these horid conditions along with the animals as far I can tell. She needs serious help; and i agree with the poster who said if she does not get it she will be back to doing the same thing.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
extremely worrisome that animals have to live like that.

even more so that a human chooses to live like that. Obviously something is wrong with her, and I hope she gets professional help.

Makes you wonder if she had any family or friends that came over. I can't imagine just ignoring such a situation.