TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Doe this sound fishy? Some man came to friends house for a security check.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Doe this sound fishy? Some man came to friends house for a security check.

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
My friend's little sister just called me to explain what happened last night at her house.

Her parents are out of town for a few days and yesterday a man came to their door asking for her parents. Now my friend's sister does look a little young, but she's in college and doesn't look that young to me. He flashed some kind of badge quickly and asked when they'd be home. He said he was there for a neighborhood security check. She made up stories and told him to try them tomorrow.

After he was gone she went to the neighbors all around her house and none of them had seen him before. So she called her Sargent (she does some cadet work with the police) and told him what happened. He basically said that if something like that is done, the person would know ahead of time that they are coming. Now her step-dad is a guard at one of the prisons and her mother has also worked for the prison system and I know if they knew something like this would go on, they wouldn't go away for a few days.

So she was a little freaked out over it and spent the night at another sister's house across town. I live literally down the street so she called me to see if when she went home today to get some school things I'd go with her. Well she ended up going by herself and nothing happened and the house was fine. She's in a class now but will be going home tonight. I told her to call if the guy comes back and I'll drive up there, see if just another person coming up makes him leave.

So what do you think? Have you ever heard of someone doing that for a legitimate reason? I'm really not sure at this point.
post #2 of 27
It wasn't legitimate. It sounds like he was casing the house! She was smart to react like she did! If I were her, I would notify the police and ask my biggest, baddest guy friend to say over (on the couch) tonight!
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
It wasn't legitimate. It sounds like he was casing the house! She was smart to react like she did! If I were her, I would notify the police and ask my biggest, baddest guy friend to say over (on the couch) tonight!
I was thinking the same thing.
post #4 of 27
What is a neighborhood security check? That sounds very fishy to me.

The only time someone has knocked on my door and requested access unannounced was when one of the town's assessors was reevaluating homes. I had seen his picture in the paper before, so I knew it was legit.
post #5 of 27
Oh yeah, I would be VERY leery
post #6 of 27
I watch Forensic Files so something like that would really not sit well with me. That is not normal at all.

Heres some stay safe vibes for your friend
post #7 of 27
Wow thats scary! Thank goodness nothing happened to your friends sister
Hopefully that man doesn't come back
post #8 of 27
Wow. Definitely fishy! I hope everything turns out ok. I would ask the police if they would do some extra patrols in the neighborhood.
post #9 of 27
Fishy to me - checking on who is home (or alone) to come back. Your sister better have her cell phone in her hand to call the cops if they show up again. She should also NOT open the door at all - look out the window. If she opens the door, they could force their way in.
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
I really hope he doesn't too. And I hope her parents do get home today. Unfortunately thier brother is away at college right now. Heck if I have to, I'll call my step-brother, who she actually works with. But then he's ex-army, an excellent shooter and spends all his free time studying Brazillian martial arts... He might get too excited about a potential opportunity to kick someones butt....
post #11 of 27
Scary. She's lucky and smart. Hope she has a dog.

If she doesn't have a dog, maybe borrow one until they come home?
post #12 of 27
If she can see who is outside without opening the door, she should call 911 immediately if he comes to the door.
post #13 of 27
That is definitely suspicious! So glad she was not taken advantage of. Hope he doesn't try coming back.
post #14 of 27
That would freak me out. I'd call the police and get the heck out of the house if he comes back.
post #15 of 27
With her parents being involved in the prison system, I'd want a full-time guard outside the hosue after something like that.

Your friend is smart-- too many people don't follow their gut instinct when confronted like that.
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles View Post
I really hope he doesn't too. And I hope her parents do get home today. Unfortunately thier brother is away at college right now. Heck if I have to, I'll call my step-brother, who she actually works with. But then he's ex-army, an excellent shooter and spends all his free time studying Brazillian martial arts... He might get too excited about a potential opportunity to kick someones butt....
Yes! That is the friend to call in.
post #17 of 27
It definately sounds fishy. They way you say he just flashed the badge is the tip off. We had the FBI show up at our house unanounced to do a security check on one of our neighbors who was in the running for a high security job. When they showed up they let us study the badge for a moment and also had that weird "we have power" vibe, if that makes sence. As soon as we opened the door before even seeing the badge we knew they were from some government group. We kind of laughed about it afterwards because they really were like the people you see in movies. All serious, dressed in black drove a black car, the whole thing. They left a card with us with instructions to call if we had any more info that we forgot to tell them. They did apologize for not calling ahead but they explained that if they show up unanounce they tend to get real answers and not get told just what the applicant wants them to hear.

If your friend can remember the orginization he said he was with and his name she can call the local office and conferm whether or not they sent someone out.
post #18 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmasMom View Post
If your friend can remember the orginization he said he was with and his name she can call the local office and conferm whether or not they sent someone out.
I suggested she do that if he comes back, and to look up the number herself, not just call one they gave her.
post #19 of 27
The burglars in the first Home Alone movie said they were doing a security check. Yeah, definitely fishy!
post #20 of 27
That really doesn't sound legit too me.
She was a very quick thinking person!!
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
It wasn't legitimate. It sounds like he was casing the house! She was smart to react like she did! If I were her, I would notify the police and ask my biggest, baddest guy friend to say over (on the couch) tonight!
That is what I'd do, I sure would sleep there alone
post #22 of 27
The big bad friend is a great idea, but she should also talk to the police again and ask them to put her house on frequent drive-by status. There is no way in the world that this was legitimate.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmasMom View Post
It definately sounds fishy. They way you say he just flashed the badge is the tip off. We had the FBI show up at our house unanounced to do a security check on one of our neighbors who was in the running for a high security job. When they showed up they let us study the badge for a moment and also had that weird "we have power" vibe, if that makes sence. As soon as we opened the door before even seeing the badge we knew they were from some government group. We kind of laughed about it afterwards because they really were like the people you see in movies. All serious, dressed in black drove a black car, the whole thing. They left a card with us with instructions to call if we had any more info that we forgot to tell them. They did apologize for not calling ahead but they explained that if they show up unanounce they tend to get real answers and not get told just what the applicant wants them to hear.

If your friend can remember the orginization he said he was with and his name she can call the local office and conferm whether or not they sent someone out.


IS there any way she can get a hold of her parents before they get home? i.e cell phone or something?

A few years ago I was called upon by an Investigator to interview as a part of a background check for my friend (she was hired into the government). I wasn't home at the time, but from his story he showed up at my door. He called my cell phone and left a message that he was outside my door and if I was home that evening to give him a call. It took another day of playing phone tag, but really he was aggressive at hunting me down.

I was going to say it was legit, but I have never heard of a neighborhood security check. At least without the police knowing.

Good for her for reporting it. Hopefully she can get a cop to watch the place tonight and/or stay at a friends house!!
post #24 of 27
Ooh that's scary!!!

I had someone knock on our door early in the morning when I was living in Australia, and the guy gave me some story about having tiled the roof of our house 20 years ago and wondering if the same people lived there, and if it needed redoing. He was covered in paint, and I wondered why a painter would be repainting a house for a start, and who would go back to a house they worked on a long time ago, when if that was his job, he probably did that a lot.

Needless to say, I told him to go away. I went to my neighbours later that morning and asked if he'd been to their house, and they said yes, but he'd given them a DIFFERENT equally fishy story! So I called the Police and let them know, but there's nothing they could do - it was a few hours later by that stage, and I didn't see what he was driving, or have a very good description of him (he woke me up, I was barely conscious still...).

Anyway, so the moral of the story is: always trust your instincts!!!!!
post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
The big bad friend is a great idea, but she should also talk to the police again and ask them to put her house on frequent drive-by status. There is no way in the world that this was legitimate.
I think our area in general is driven through frequently. She doesn't live in the park, but her house faces the nicer section of it. (I live in the in between nice and not nice part.) She's supposed to call me too if he comes back, so far no call though. I really hope her parents made it in tonight. I'm not sure where they were, but I'm sure they know about it. And I'm sure one call to her Sergeant could get her help real quick like, so that is a comfort.
post #26 of 27
That is so scary! I would freak out!

Hope everything is okay with her tonight and I hope mom and dad came home
post #27 of 27
That is definitely not legit. Your friend should also really get into the practice of NEVER answering her door for a stranger. It's just not safe. Also- never let a stranger know you're home by yourself....you become an even easier target that way! If i were your friend I would keep my eyes open and pay very close attention to my surroundings It's good that she alerted the police that there was someone in the area claiming to be legit/etc. Hopefully they can keep an eye out for any strange activity.

The man was most likely casing the place. I would tell your friend to be careful- maybe stay with another friend for a few nights if possible?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Doe this sound fishy? Some man came to friends house for a security check.