TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Canned EVO Flavors?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canned EVO Flavors?

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
All I have seen at the store I buy at, and on petfood direct is the Evo cans with the purple label. I see on the Evo website that they have Chicken & Turkey, Beef, Duck and Venison flavors also. Does anyone use these, or is this something new? If so, where do you buy it?
post #2 of 23
Have you tried their "where to buy" link? http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/

Also, are you looking at the 95% meat dog food? If that's what you're interested in, there are other brands that make 95% meat canned food (Wysong and Wellness for example). If you have a feed store or high end pet food store in your area you might be able to find it there.
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcaregiver View Post
Have you tried their "where to buy" link? http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/
Yes, but that lists all the stores that carry, or used to carry their brand. The ones that still sell it, only sell the purple can.
post #4 of 23
two of the local stores have them ... I use them when fresh meat is not avail( ie I forgot ) ... the where to buy hopefully will give you a store near... likely where you buy Cal natural either has them or can get them as they are the same parent company..
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
Are these other flavors new?

The store I buy the regular Evo from has never heard of them, only the gold/purple can with chicken, turkey, herring, etc. She will try to get some with her next order though.
post #6 of 23
the COMPLETE 95% are new the old ones were not complete and labeled for dogs only...
post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
the COMPLETE 95% are new the old ones were not complete and labeled for dogs only...
Ahh ok, great, my pet store lady was as confused as I was, lol. She is going to order some in so that Riley can try them
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
the COMPLETE 95% are new the old ones were not complete and labeled for dogs only...
Hmmmm, I just did a quick comparison of the ingredients, nutrient analysis and guaranteed analysis on the Innova website. I can't see much difference between the 95% dog food and the 95% cat food.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcaregiver View Post
Hmmmm, I just did a quick comparison of the ingredients, nutrient analysis and guaranteed analysis on the Innova website. I can't see much difference between the 95% dog food and the 95% cat food.
Welcome to the Natura confusion... they make one and label for both in most cases... your not confused .. that is why I buy dog and save about 1.50 a large can
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Welcome to the Natura confusion... they make one and label for both in most cases... your not confused .. that is why I buy dog and save about 1.50 a large can
Ah, ok. Then in this case I'm not missing something lol. I figured the cat food would be more expensive - usually is.
post #11 of 23
Does anyone know if you can purchase this line of EVO online? I looked, but all I could fine was the dog food counterpart
post #12 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Welcome to the Natura confusion... they make one and label for both in most cases... your not confused .. that is why I buy dog and save about 1.50 a large can
wait so the cats can eat the evo dog canned food? they are confusing too and it's even harder when you email them with a question it's always worded in a way that is fairly difficult to understand, atleast to me.
post #13 of 23
I cant say 100% but if you wizard them side by side all % and ingrediants in all but one of dog and cat are identical..Yup after I showed it to my vet she called and didnt get a reply... I use the dog cans as 13oz salmon is 1.50 cheaper in dog than cat
post #14 of 23
OK, I'm throughly confused. I've always thought it was a big no-no to feed dog food to cats because their nutritional needs were so different. If Innova uses the same formula for their dog and cat EVO canned foods, does that mean the nutritional needs of cats isn't really all that different from that of dogs?????
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
OK, I'm throughly confused. I've always thought it was a big no-no to feed dog food to cats because their nutritional needs were so different. If Innova uses the same formula for their dog and cat EVO canned foods, does that mean the nutritional needs of cats isn't really all that different from that of dogs?????
I suspect that this interchangeability only applies to this brand's 95% meat canned food.
post #16 of 23
Tidbit of information:

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/s...cle.cfm?id=189

Maybe most cat food is OK for dogs but most dog food is not OK for cats? That is, a food formulated to meet the minimum needs of a dog won't meet the minimum needs of a cat but a food formulated to meet the minimum needs of a cat will also meet the minimum needs of a dog??
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
Tidbit of information:

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/s...cle.cfm?id=189

Maybe most cat food is OK for dogs but most dog food is not OK for cats? That is, a food formulated to meet the minimum needs of a dog won't meet the minimum needs of a cat but a food formulated to meet the minimum needs of a cat will also meet the minimum needs of a dog??
I don't think it would do any harm to an adult dog if it was fed cat food but I don't know why anybody would want to do that. There is no benefit to it. Your presumption that "most dog food is not OK for cats" is correct. I believe food that is formulated to meet the minimum needs of a cat will exceed the minimum needs of a dog (cats need more protein for instance).
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcaregiver View Post
I don't think it would do any harm to an adult dog if it was fed cat food but I don't know why anybody would want to do that. There is no benefit to it. Your presumption that "most dog food is not OK for cats" is correct. I believe food that is formulated to meet the minimum needs of a cat will exceed the minimum needs of a dog (cats need more protein for instance).
As for the Innova foods, I think it would be very risky to feed a cat food labeled for a dog. Although the formulas may be the same today, it would be perfectly valid for Innova to change the dog formula at any time in such a way that it would no longer be appropriate for cats.
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
As for the Innova foods, I think it would be very risky to feed a cat food labeled for a dog. Although the formulas may be the same today, it would be perfectly valid for Innova to change the dog formula at any time in such a way that it would no longer be appropriate for cats.
As long as it's 95% meat there's not much they could change. I don't think it's likely they could change anything in the dog food formula that would harm a cat but if anybody has a concern it's a good reason to continue checking the label.
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by catcaregiver View Post
As long as it's 95% meat there's not much they could change. I don't think it's likely they could change anything in the dog food formula that would harm a cat but if anybody has a concern it's a good reason to continue checking the label.
I would be concerned about the levels of tarurine, vit A and arachidonic acid mentioned in the link in my previous post. I'm sure there are other nutrients to be concerned about also. Although that article talks about those nutrients being present in "animal tissues" I'm sure what it means is "raw animal tissues". Some may be partially or completely destroyed during processing and have to be added back as supplements. Innova could decrease the quantity of a given supplement and still satisfy the needs of dogs but not the needs of cats.

Just reading the label wouldn't provide enough information. Their website would have to be checked. Speaking for myself, I'm sure I wouldn't have the discipline to check regularly for a change in formulation.
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschauer View Post
I would be concerned about the levels of tarurine, vit A and arachidonic acid mentioned in the link in my previous post. I'm sure there are other nutrients to be concerned about also. Although that article talks about those nutrients being present in "animal tissues" I'm sure what it means is "raw animal tissues". Some may be partially or completely destroyed during processing and have to be added back as supplements. Innova could decrease the quantity of a given supplement and still satisfy the needs of dogs but not the needs of cats.

Just reading the label wouldn't provide enough information. Their website would have to be checked. Speaking for myself, I'm sure I wouldn't have the discipline to check regularly for a change in formulation.

Okie doke! I'm done

(in case anybody does not understand the emoticon http://www.goenglish.com/BeatADeadHorse.asp)
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
Why is dog food so much cheaper anyways?
Ya go t me .. cept for dogs on ave being bigger ... can you imagine spencding 2 dollars a can and feeding 4 a day ( if feed only canned ave 70-90 lb )
post #23 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvdevons View Post
Does anyone know if you can purchase this line of EVO online? I looked, but all I could fine was the dog food counterpart
I haven't found it on petfooddirect or anywhere else I order online yet. Let me know if you find it somewhere, else I'll just have to wait until my local pet store gets it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Canned EVO Flavors?