TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Heat and our Animals
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Heat and our Animals

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
WE had a tragedy which I posted in the rainbow bridge thread.

It got hot yesterday,, the heat index of all things, and our rotti's were outside playing around. Well our older girl Polly was playing and she fell over unconscious,, we took her straight to the vet, but she got to hot, and we had to put her asleep..

It was absolutely horrible,, and devastating,, and ya know we thought they'd be okay because they had plenty of cold water, and shade,, but it just was way to hot for her......

I feel horrible,, and have been a mess all night and today, and feeling really responsible for her death, wishing I could do the day over.

The vet said when it gets that hot, water and shade aren't enough, they need to be inside or in a cool area with a fan or something... So just so you know and don't have to live through this horrific and devastating day, when your heat index is up, water and shade aren't enough....
post #2 of 21
Oh sweetie! It's not your fault!
Dogs and cats can't tell us when they're too hot and sometimes it's hard to tell.
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie_Darlin View Post
Oh sweetie! It's not your fault!
Dogs and cats can't tell us when they're too hot and sometimes it's hard to tell.
I feel soo utterly responsible.. Like I should had known better.. It's soo unfair.
post #4 of 21
I am soooo sorry!! Please don't be so hard on yourself. It isn't your fault.
post #5 of 21
Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry for your loss.
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Thank you so much for your kind words.. I just hope someone else learns what I didn't know.. When the heat index is so high water and shade are absolutely useless for your animals..
post #7 of 21
Sweetie, stop blaming yourself!!

Theres no way you could of known....
post #8 of 21
awww hun, i am soooo sorry!!!

I have a rottie myself. When the heat gets really bad, i take him outside and wet him down with the hose. he LOVES it, and it keeps him cool. if its to hot to get the hose water cool, i bring him into the bathroom, and let him in the shower, and let the shower run cold water over him, he loves it too. And him being wet keeps him cooler
post #9 of 21
I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. But please don't blame yourself, there's no way that you could have known this would happen. Some animals are just more suceptable to overheating than others are.
post #10 of 21
How horrible for you. I would have thought the same as you that shade and water would have been sufficient. I amso sorry for your loss.

Fortunately all of my kitties are indoor babies, I would worry so much otherwise!
post #11 of 21
I'm so sorry for your loss. I admire your courage in sharing about it to help others. I'm in Georgia and the heat's been unbearable here (115 with heat index yesterday). Too many people don't know even to provide shade and water for their pets! Thank you for looking out for everyone.
post #12 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza24 View Post
awww hun, i am soooo sorry!!!

I have a rottie myself. When the heat gets really bad, i take him outside and wet him down with the hose. he LOVES it, and it keeps him cool. if its to hot to get the hose water cool, i bring him into the bathroom, and let him in the shower, and let the shower run cold water over him, he loves it too. And him being wet keeps him cooler

Rottie's are so sweet and precious aren't they!! STeven wet Polly down earlier in the day,, it was much to hot.. The heat index right now is 103.. adn the temp is 97.. Our other rotti, Sheba is inside in the basement,, too hot to take a chance...
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howtoholdacat View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. I admire your courage in sharing about it to help others. I'm in Georgia and the heat's been unbearable here (115 with heat index yesterday). Too many people don't know even to provide shade and water for their pets! Thank you for looking out for everyone.
Thank you.. I was one of those people.. I had no clue that having shade and water wouldn't even be enough when it's that hot.. They really need a fan, or a cool basement or a awhile to cool down in house on the kitchen floor.. Anything to get there bare skin to coolness...

Losing your friend, and loving them so much,, it's devastating.. Absolutely heartbreaking... I just hope others think about there babies that are outside during this heat,, even if they are used to the heat (as Polly was), they can't handle it being this hot..
post #14 of 21
I am so sorry to hear you lost your dog. that is horrible, I always thought shade and water was enough, thank you for sharing, now more people will know,
post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjerkness View Post
I am so sorry to hear you lost your dog. that is horrible, I always thought shade and water was enough, thank you for sharing, now more people will know,
Thank you.. It means alot to me..
post #16 of 21
Oh you poor thing *hugs*

I know this may sound silly, but in the Summer if Charlie is on my lap, i fan him with a magazine/newspaper, and he likes it

Thankfully in this house we have a better functioning a/c, the other one was a horse and probably 25 years old.
post #17 of 21
So sorry to hear. I normally don't visit the rainbow bridge threads b/c I get so sad and cry too much. Bless your heart. My prayers are with you.
post #18 of 21
Oh honey, I'm so sorry. I would think water and shade would be enough too. I can't imagine the heartbreak you are going through but plese don't blame yourself. You provided what most dog owner (me included) thought was enough, and, most important, you got her to the vet as soon as you saw there was a problem. That shows how responsible a pet owner you are and how much you loved your baby.

Thank you for warning the rest of us.
post #19 of 21
Oh hunn, it's not your fault!

My friend was outside playing with her guinea pig when it suddenly just died. It turned upside down and was dead. She took it to the vet and they said it was because of overheating. If you weren't even there, it's not your fault. You're not the weather man!

Right now your girl is probably rolling around in a creek at the Rainbow Bridge. Don't feel guilty!

And I'm so sorry for your loss! Vibes and prayers your way
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitty View Post
WE had a tragedy which I posted in the rainbow bridge thread.

It got hot yesterday,, the heat index of all things, and our rotti's were outside playing around. Well our older girl Polly was playing and she fell over unconscious,, we took her straight to the vet, but she got to hot, and we had to put her asleep..

It was absolutely horrible,, and devastating,, and ya know we thought they'd be okay because they had plenty of cold water, and shade,, but it just was way to hot for her......

I feel horrible,, and have been a mess all night and today, and feeling really responsible for her death, wishing I could do the day over.

The vet said when it gets that hot, water and shade aren't enough, they need to be inside or in a cool area with a fan or something... So just so you know and don't have to live through this horrific and devastating day, when your heat index is up, water and shade aren't enough....
First of all, I am so very sorry for your loss.
I can't even imagine, your precious girl.

Thank you for posting this as a warning. I have taken it to heart.
post #21 of 21
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have a rottie mix and she's the best dog ever. I just love rotties. It is so not your fault so please stop beating yourself up about it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Heat and our Animals