TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Litter Comparison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Litter Comparison

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
Hi. I'm newer to kitties. My cat is 11 months old named Neko. He's a very cute and not too tiny (but thin) brown, spotted tabby.

I've tried several different litters.

Tidy Cats Small Spaces - Too much tracking
Fresh Step - Not too bad. Some tracking. Good on odor. Clumping is OK.
Scoop Away - Like Fresh Step, but too strong of fragrance
Exquisicat Scoop with Fresh Scent - It's OK. Not super-impressed on odor or clumps. Not as good as fresh step overall.

How does the Pet Gold Compare? Arm and Hammer? Looking for suggestions...or should I return to Fresh Step? I'd like to keep to normal, scoopable litter. I'm sure my kitty loves my changing the litter all the time. haha
post #2 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblues27 View Post
How does the Pet Gold Compare? Arm and Hammer? Looking for suggestions...or should I return to Fresh Step? I'd like to keep to normal, scoopable litter. I'm sure my kitty loves my changing the litter all the time. haha
I haven't used PetGold in years because of the price. Petsmart's house brand Exquisicat is too dusty for us. Arm & Hammer is a fine grain but dusty IMO.

We've just switched back to Tidy Cats Scoop (red bucket). There is minimal tracking and no dust.

My cats were also ok with Target's Pet Essentials Scoop and Wal-Mart's Special Kitty scoop with crystals.
post #3 of 24
I switched to Pet Gold a while back and love it. Yes, it is pricier than some, but if you watch the Petco ads, it does go on sale fairly frequently. The reason I originally made the switch is that I got very tired of all the containers and packaging I was disposing of with the other brands. Now I have three of the Petco tubs that I take in and refill - no more packaging waste, which is important to me. However, I recently had to get a refill of something else for a few days because I couldn't make it to Petco, and what I used instead proved to be extremely dusty in comparison. I was very happy to get my supply of Pet Gold and switch back. I felt like I should have worn a gas mask with the other, it was that dusty. Felt sorry for the kitties!
post #4 of 24
Thread Starter 
I didn't find exquisicat too dusty. Just thought it was only ok on clumping and odor. Is Pet Gold better?
post #5 of 24
Is Pet Gold the bulk stuff? I too am unhappy with the large un-recyclable containers so I've been buying bags of stuff. I keep my supply under the bathroom sink in a cupboard, so those giant bags do not work for me. I could buy the bulk stuff as long as there is minimal (or no) dust, and no perfume that i can smell through out the whole house! I can't imagine what that stuff smells like to cats.
post #6 of 24
I use Fresh Step
post #7 of 24
I love Fresh Step... I am currently using Scoop Away because I ran out of litter and that's what they had at the dollar store and I didn't feel like driving another 20 minutes to Krogers or Walmart. I really don't like the fragrance and dust of the Scoop Away... I have asthma and can't handle when the kitties cuddle up to me after they've just been in the litter box... they smell too strongly of the litter's fragrance.
post #8 of 24
I use Arm and Hammer Multi-Cats. I also tried Tidy Cats Odor Control.

Mainly, I wanted to see what the difference is among the different cat litters (and the prices). Well, I learned my lesson. I've three cats and clean the litter at least once a day, sometimes twice. Arm and Hammer was my first litter and it's great. The litter smells pleasant and though there is tracking, I could live with that... just sweep it up.

When I tried out Tidy Cats Odor Control, it was horrible. Every time I would clean the litter, the smell of ammonia would engulf my face and I feel like I can't breathe because the air is so thick and concentrated! Also, when I sweep up the tracking, it leaves these grey streaks on my floor. I never got that from Arm and Hammer.

Having shared my litter experience, I am currently using the Arm&Hammer. No more Tidy Cats for me!
post #9 of 24
With Tux and his 'I don't need to use no stinkin' litterbox. I can pee wherever I feel like, and you can't stop me!' habits, I think I've tried every litter on the market!

I tried most of the 'natural' litters, but they just didn't work for me. Either too dusty, to tracking, to smelly, too expensive or didn't last very long before having to toss it out (I have five cats). And I can't get those silica gel crystals (or whatever they're called) to work for me. My entire bathroom reeked of ammonia after two days to the point that my nose was burning. I can imagine what my cats thought of it.

I tried various brands of clumping, and didn't care for most of them, either (I guess I'm picky). I really really liked the odor control of the Arm and Hammer, but found it didn't clump well at all. Everytime I would scoop a clump out, it would break apart and fall back into the pan. I had to dump all three litterboxes in less than a week, and at $15 for a box of litter it's too expensive to throw out that often. I had good luck with the Dr. Elsey's, but it was rather expensive as well. I'm back to using Maxx Cat, and very happy with it. It clumps very well, the cats love it because of the finer grain, it holds smell down pretty well and tracking is moderate.
post #10 of 24
Yes, Pet Gold is the bulk stuff. I believe you can buy it packaged as well though. It is not very dusty at all and has no perfume added. I've been very happy with it.
post #11 of 24
I like the Fresh Step and also buy the Arm & Hammer and mix the two, works great!!
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
With Tux and his 'I don't need to use no stinkin' litterbox. I can pee wherever I feel like, and you can't stop me!' habits, I think I've tried every litter on the market!

I tried most of the 'natural' litters, but they just didn't work for me. Either too dusty, to tracking, to smelly, too expensive or didn't last very long before having to toss it out (I have five cats). And I can't get those silica gel crystals (or whatever they're called) to work for me. My entire bathroom reeked of ammonia after two days to the point that my nose was burning. I can imagine what my cats thought of it.

I tried various brands of clumping, and didn't care for most of them, either (I guess I'm picky). I really really liked the odor control of the Arm and Hammer, but found it didn't clump well at all. Everytime I would scoop a clump out, it would break apart and fall back into the pan. I had to dump all three litterboxes in less than a week, and at $15 for a box of litter it's too expensive to throw out that often. I had good luck with the Dr. Elsey's, but it was rather expensive as well. I'm back to using Maxx Cat, and very happy with it. It clumps very well, the cats love it because of the finer grain, it holds smell down pretty well and tracking is moderate.
If you were using the Cat Attract to keep your one cat using the box they do make an additive. I noticed it in the Vet's office the last time I was there. It's a small container, maybe 16 or 20 oz and the label said it treated 100 pounds of litter. I don't know how much it was but adding it to a cheaper litter might give the benefit and bring down the price.
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denice View Post
If you were using the Cat Attract to keep your one cat using the box they do make an additive. I noticed it in the Vet's office the last time I was there. It's a small container, maybe 16 or 20 oz and the label said it treated 100 pounds of litter. I don't know how much it was but adding it to a cheaper litter might give the benefit and bring down the price.

Oh that would be awesome if they carried it around here! Was it the same brand as the cat litter? If I know exactly what to ask for, I might be able to find a vet that can order it in for me.

Thanks!
post #14 of 24
I too have tried lots and lots of litters! I think I've tried every variety of Tidy Cats, have used Arm & Hammer, and also World's Best Cat Litter. It seems I will inevitably have tracking. I have a mat under mine but in 2 months I am moving to a bigger apartment and am going to put the litter box in the shower of the extra bathroom! I like the Tidy Cats multi-cat (blue box) but of course you probably don't need that. Try a big mat for under and around the box that will catch some of the tracking. That World's Best is good stuff, it's natural and it smells good and clumps pretty well. I have never tried any of the pine stuff or the newspaper material.
post #15 of 24
i use Arm & Hammer and Tidy Cats Small Spaces mixed. Works well, and kills odors in my small home
post #16 of 24
I like Fresh Step the best.. Husband bought some Arm and Hammer, and it's tracks something horrible!! Worse then Fresh Step in my opinion.
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Just as an update, since I started the thread...I got some Pet Gold (changing it's name to Petco as they are rebranding their items) and it seems to work pretty well. It's also on sale right now for $9.99 for the 30lb tub and I think $6.99 for the refill. Better than the Exquisicat on the clumping. Low dust. Tracking isn't bad at all. Since it is unscented, it doesn't do as well in the area of poo as say Fresh Step (which is the best at odor)...so I've started to add the Arm & Hammer Deodorizer. I just don't know how much too add. I don't want to add too much.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblues27 View Post
Just as an update, since I started the thread...I got some Pet Gold (changing it's name to Petco as they are rebranding their items) and it seems to work pretty well. It's also on sale right now for $9.99 for the 30lb tub and I think $6.99 for the refill. Better than the Exquisicat on the clumping. Low dust. Tracking isn't bad at all. Since it is unscented, it doesn't do as well in the area of poo as say Fresh Step (which is the best at odor)...so I've started to add the Arm & Hammer Deodorizer. I just don't know how much too add. I don't want to add too much.
I too use the Arm & Hammer deoderizer, however; I have found that you definitely don't want to put in too much. Two things happened the one time we put too much in, #1 the entire house smelled like the A&H deoderizer and #2 my cat didn't want to use the litter right after we put it in. A light dusting over the clumping litter is usually enough to cover the poo odor and your cat should be afraid to go near the box!
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy's Mommy View Post
I too use the Arm & Hammer deoderizer, however; I have found that you definitely don't want to put in too much. Two things happened the one time we put too much in, #1 the entire house smelled like the A&H deoderizer and #2 my cat didn't want to use the litter right after we put it in. A light dusting over the clumping litter is usually enough to cover the poo odor and your cat should be afraid to go near the box!
Would you do that each day?
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblues27 View Post
Would you do that each day?
We usually do it once a week or so. That's usually enough to keep the odors out - keep in mind, I only have one cat, not sure if you have more than that. If you do, I might recommend a couple times a week just because of the more frequent cleaning/using of the litter box.
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy's Mommy View Post
We usually do it once a week or so. That's usually enough to keep the odors out - keep in mind, I only have one cat, not sure if you have more than that. If you do, I might recommend a couple times a week just because of the more frequent cleaning/using of the litter box.
I only have one cat. Of course I don't know if I'm putting in a lot or a little. Since the litter is unscented, I guess I little more is ok. Kitty (Neko) is using it, so I guess all is good so far.
post #22 of 24
Im in love with feline pine It gets dusty as it gets wet but seems to eliminate odor
post #23 of 24
I recently bought the new Tidy Cats, scoopable, multiple cat litter. This is the one that is not supposed to crumble. Well there is no dust, it controls odor well, but as with all litter it does track somewhat. Price was $10.99 for a 28# bucket at petsmart. I think I'll stay with this one for a while. With some of the litter I've used the cats would come out smelling like ammonia. I scoop twice a day. When I scooped this AM my Juno was in the box and I had to wait for her to finish. About 10 min. later she was back in the box. She doesn't like to use it if there is anything in it. Picky cat. I have found that they use the box mainly at night. When I get home from work there is hardly any clumps in it, but lots in the morning.
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
Oh that would be awesome if they carried it around here! Was it the same brand as the cat litter? If I know exactly what to ask for, I might be able to find a vet that can order it in for me.

Thanks!
It's the same brand name and made by the same company.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Care & Grooming
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Care & Grooming › Litter Comparison