TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I Need To Calm Down!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I Need To Calm Down!

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
So many things have happened over the last few days that I'm now wound so tightly that I don't know what to do. Even little things that I usually brush off are now adding up and making it worse and worse.

Deep breaths and wine don't work. I tried to read and I tried to watch a movie but I couldn't stay still. I work very hard when I'm like this and I've been working like crazy but from experience, if I keep it up I will get sick! I need to calm down.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
post #2 of 24
You need to go for a walk or a run and burn off some of the adrenaline. It really does help.
post #3 of 24
Sorry you are having such a rough week.

Have you tried pounding the living you know what out of a pillow?

Meditation?
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 4 View Post
You need to go for a walk or a run and burn off some of the adrenaline. It really does help.
That's my only idea too.



I hope you feel better soon!
post #5 of 24
Sorry, I've got no useful advice here, but lots of for you instead.
post #6 of 24
I say LOTS more wine.
post #7 of 24
I just went through an episode like that. I became reactive and I hated myself because I was becoming rude and unreasonable.

I finally just took some time to myself and had a deep, wet, pity cry . It relieved the worst of the stress.
post #8 of 24
Why don't you go outside and take a walk or something just to relax? I think it can do you good
post #9 of 24
Thread Starter 
Thanks so much for the well-wishes and the advice!

I'm going to go for a walk. I have to take some DVDs back to the video store anyway, and might look for something else. I definitely have a problem with too much adrenaline sometimes, that was right on the mark!

When I come back I might have that bottle... er, glass of wine.


Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
I just went through an episode like that. I became reactive and I hated myself because I was becoming rude and unreasonable....
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT??? Sorry, just joking, couldn't resist, but you are absolutely right and I've been doing just that for a couple of weeks now, but it's gotten worse. Reactive is a very good description.

When I was a kid, I had to shut down when I got upset. It's not easy changing. I've been wanting to cry but it hasn't come yet.

I'll check back after my walk, thanks again.
post #10 of 24
I hope the walk helps.
post #11 of 24
no advice on how to calm down since im kind of going through the same thing but i can give you lots of hugzzz! Hang there thinking o fyou.
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT???
Well then, FINE, last time I give you advice

I'm sure it will break soon. Sending you calming
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
So many things have happened over the last few days that I'm now wound so tightly that I don't know what to do. Even little things that I usually brush off are now adding up and making it worse and worse.

Deep breaths and wine don't work. I tried to read and I tried to watch a movie but I couldn't stay still. I work very hard when I'm like this and I've been working like crazy but from experience, if I keep it up I will get sick! I need to calm down.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Xanax. just kidding.

I've had a very similar week.
I just keep super-cleaning and organizing things and it keeps my mind off of the things that are making me wacky.
post #14 of 24
Aw, I just ran across this thread... and I sure know the kind of nervous energy you mean. Did the walk help? Or did you just go straight to the wine?

I don't have anywhere to do this, so I don't know whether it would help or not -- but I've always wished I could go float in a swimming pool when I feel that way...
post #15 of 24
I agree with everyone who suggested a nice long walk. I find when I am upset or stressed exercise does help to relieve some of the symptoms.
post #16 of 24
I don't any great advice to add, I agree with going for a walk or cleaning. Just want to send Feel better soon.
post #17 of 24
I know exactly what you mean. I hope your walk helped
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
I just went through an episode like that. I became reactive and I hated myself because I was becoming rude and unreasonable.
some people would say i am like that all the time


exercise is the best thing, at this stage of the game, since, at are age getting into bar fights only gets us in jail, and bones do not heal that well anymore
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
I don't have anywhere to do this, so I don't know whether it would help or not -- but I've always wished I could go float in a swimming pool when I feel that way...
That's something that helps me, back when I had a friend's pool to go to.

Maybe if you watch a really sad movie like Beaches or a sad animal movie like the one where the animals get lost and are trying to find thier way home and things, you could get yourself up enough to get that good cry out.

Hope things eettle down for you soon!
post #20 of 24
Uhoh. Bruce, you probably shouldn't have mentioned her age when she's in this mood...
post #21 of 24
lol, i am safe, she cant throw something 2000 miles and hit me.

oh yea, i should add that during those times, i find video games with lots of killing help to work out that mood.
post #22 of 24
I read an article that said exercise releases chemicals that are anti-depressive in nature, and went on to say how people seem to naturally exercise when they're under stress and it helps them cope.

Along with that there is a well known neurotransmitter by the name of dopamine that will give you just what you need though, and what's even better is that it's easy to get a dopamine rush by doing two things: 1) eating (especially food you like) and 2) sex.

Well, hope you feel better.
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur 6 View Post
...there is a well known neurotransmitter by the name of dopamine that will give you just what you need though, and what's even better is that it's easy to get a dopamine rush by doing two things: 1) eating (especially food you like) and 2) sex.
Well, no wonder I'm overweight... and really easy...

No, no, that was a JOKE, honest! I live like a NUN!

Which, come to think of it, may be contributing to the weight problem.

I'm shutting up now.
post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 
You guys are too funny! I'm much better today, so far anyway.

I got through the day, with a little help from my friends (you guys and a friend here). I took a long walk and stopped for some sushi for lunch. Then I brought home a Starbuck's coffee and a girlfriend called. She came over with wine and we watched Little Miss Sunshine. The movie sucked, I didn't laugh ONE TIME, but the company and the wine were good.

I wish I would have thought of playing a video game (or read Bruce's suggestion earlier) because I really did feel like destroying something... I don't mind mention of my age. A very good friend died when she was 42 and ever since then I celebrate my birthdays and welcome the wrinkles! Couldn't have sex, husband was out of town, but he's back now The pool idea is nice, too. I go walking by the shore and that's very calming.

I had a long shower, too, and that was good. Did you know that when insane people get hyper they are put in running water and it's soothes them? Works for me.

Thanks again! I'll remember all these suggestions for next time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › I Need To Calm Down!