TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Advice Wanted
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice Wanted - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
...YOU DON'T HAVE TO RESPOND to defend yourself. I often just give my monitor the finger and that's enough for me.
LOL, this made me laugh!
post #32 of 45
This is so true:
You can please some of the people, some of the time, but -you can't please all of the people, all of the time!
post #33 of 45
You're right, he did say FAR-LEFT liberals, and I missed that... but it's still a generalization presented as if it were fact. It would be so much easier to have a good discussion if we didn't do that.

And having no respect for ANY group is not a function of either liberal OR conservative -- it's just a bad characteristic that some people have.

Pat & Alix -- conservative is a label these people apply to themselves, so I don't feel I'm insulting them by using it to clarify who I'm talking about. Actually, I don't really like being called a liberal, because my views are not quite all the way off to the edge of the spectrum -- but there are bigger things to quibble about, y'know?
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
There are a lot of conservatives on this site, that I would rather not have to acknowledge their existence, but hard as I try, they are still here.
OUCH!!! I am very much a conservative person and I have to say that statement hurts.....like we don't "belong" here because we have different beliefs!!!! I've always felt "unaccepted" here and like I'm not "part of the in group"....and that statement just reaffirmed my feelings!
post #35 of 45
I think I'm a bit weird in that the people who annoy me the most are often the ones I find the most interesting to read. It's sort of like a train-wreck for me -- I can't take my eyes away, and I feel compelled to look for their posts just to see what bizarre opinions (IMO) they're going to state today. So, for that perverse enjoyment, I'd probably stick around even if the site drove me nuts; it gives me something to think about and it's good to learn others' opinions. And, as a writer, it definitely gives me insight into the way other peoples' minds work (or don't, in some cases ...).

On the other hand, if people are actually attacking you -- not your arguments, but you as a person -- I'd probably leave. It's one thing for me to make a point and have someone say "I disagree, and here's why ..." and another thing entirely for me to make a point and have someone say "I disagree, and I think you're a horrible person because I don't agree with you." Although, to be fair, I'd probably just think that person was an idiot who didn't understand the concept of "debate," but that's just me ...

I think if the positives of the forum outweigh the negatives, you should go back, but you shouldn't feel compelled to return just because people were wondering what happened to you. If not posting on that forum leaves a hole in your life, go back (or find something new to fill that hole, something with fewer negatives). I like the idea of culling negative people from your life; so much of our time is wasted dealing with negativity, and it ends up being so very, very draining. Good luck with your "purge!"
post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieC View Post
OUCH!!! I am very much a conservative person and I have to say that statement hurts.....like we don't "belong" here because we have different beliefs!!!! I've always felt "unaccepted" here and like I'm not "part of the in group"....and that statement just reaffirmed my feelings!
Sophie - not everyone feels that way!! I am sorry you feel unaccepted. I'm not "part of the group" as well, but I do feel accepted. I hope that you can get that feeling as well.
post #37 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieC View Post
OUCH!!! I am very much a conservative person and I have to say that statement hurts.....like we don't "belong" here because we have different beliefs!!!! I've always felt "unaccepted" here and like I'm not "part of the in group"....and that statement just reaffirmed my feelings!
There have been threads on this, about cliques or groups on the site and how others feel left out. I think a lot of people agree that the longer you are here, the more you become part of everything. It makes sense that you become more well-known and then inside jokes happen, etc.

I like you here and appreciate your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinae View Post
I think I'm a bit weird in that the people who annoy me the most are often the ones I find the most interesting to read. It's sort of like a train-wreck for me -- I can't take my eyes away, and I feel compelled to look for their posts just to see what bizarre opinions (IMO) they're going to state today....
So true!
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailuvscats View Post
I think my posting made it clear that there are some conservatives, on this site, that I prefer not to have interactions with.

The fact that you don't like the way things are expressed in the IMO, but had enough time to judge my comments as "shocking", speaks volumes.
No, it says I was very surprised and upset by your comment. I didn't expect it from you, and I did feel it deserved a comment. I wouldn't read more into it than that. I am blunt, frank and ex. honest with my comments..and I am simply NOT comfortable with how folks handle themselves in the IMO lounge. Not sure what you think that tells you about me...
post #39 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post

Pat & Alix -- conservative is a label these people apply to themselves, so I don't feel I'm insulting them by using it to clarify who I'm talking about. Actually, I don't really like being called a liberal, because my views are not quite all the way off to the edge of the spectrum -- but there are bigger things to quibble about, y'know?
Exactly my point...that I hate labels
post #40 of 45
You know - I wouldn't even know what to label myself. I always think that labels are something that other people put on you. The only label I put on myself is "human" and as such I try to feel for anyone else out there who is "human" also and try not to judge.
post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by adymarie View Post
Sophie - not everyone feels that way!! I am sorry you feel unaccepted. I'm not "part of the group" as well, but I do feel accepted. I hope that you can get that feeling as well.
Thanks for the comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
There have been threads on this, about cliques or groups on the site and how others feel left out. I think a lot of people agree that the longer you are here, the more you become part of everything. It makes sense that you become more well-known and then inside jokes happen, etc.

I like you here and appreciate your posts.



So true!
Yes, I recall those threads you are referencing. I just chose not to post in them at that time. I understand what you are saying about "the longer you've been here..." but it's not like I've been here for just a month or two. Thanks for the words of encouragement.
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix View Post
No, it says I was very surprised and upset by your comment. I didn't expect it from you, and I did feel it deserved a comment. I wouldn't read more into it than that. I am blunt, frank and ex. honest with my comments..and I am simply NOT comfortable with how folks handle themselves in the IMO lounge. Not sure what you think that tells you about me...
Considering you took the time to judge and attack me, and then commented on how much you value EVERYBODY,and now you are not sure what I think that tells me about you, ohh, and you didn't expect my reply?
Hmmm, I don't know, what comes to mind is passive aggressive and hypocritical, but then I was feeling attacked, and, well, giving the finger to the monitor just doesn't do it for me.
post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
You're right, he did say FAR-LEFT liberals, and I missed that... but it's still a generalization presented as if it were fact. It would be so much easier to have a good discussion if we didn't do that.

And having no respect for ANY group is not a function of either liberal OR conservative -- it's just a bad characteristic that some people have.
Carol you do it all the time, and i seen many a post from you where you state how misguilded others thinking are for being conservative, if they only knew they would change.but when asked what views would they changed you refused to answer.

but since we are not in IMO you often seem to think that no one should respond to you. well it does not work that way at all. If a over the top statment is made such as the one Gail made, then you can expect comments to be made. it really easy to stay in the lounge and not give political views

SO it would be ok if i said, TCS would be a much better place if the libs where taken off or not allowed to express there views? or sure i could put them on ignore but some of them i still like( even if they are mis-guided libs sorry had to throw that in there) but really sorry, i want to see and hear other view points, on the off chance i am wrong.

however to make things better please fill free to add me to ignore if you wish.
cause i will make counter posts to things i disagree with
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieC View Post
OUCH!!! I am very much a conservative person and I have to say that statement hurts.....like we don't "belong" here because we have different beliefs!!!! I've always felt "unaccepted" here and like I'm not "part of the in group"....and that statement just reaffirmed my feelings!
lol naw dont feel that way. i dont really see my self as a conservative, or libel,
my stance changes based on the subject matter at hand.

But there will always be others who are unable to accept or deal with people who have a different opions, Statments like the one that was made is a perfect expample of such a person,

besides the pics with the kitty you posted was just to cute.
would hate to see you leave.
post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
If a over the top statment is made such as the one Gail made, then you can expect comments to be made.
Let's get something straight. My comment is not over the top. The OP stated there were some "ultra Conservatives" that she had problems with on the other site. I mentioned in my advice, there were conservatives on this site that I would prefer to no have interactions with, but since they are here, I tolerate them.
This attack of my comments, presenting as if I said kill all conservatives, is typical of the Conservative SPIN that fox news puts on anything a democrat says or does. And is the very reason I ignore them. Furthermore, I support a womans right to choose, stem cell research, gay marriage, end the war now, organized religion is crap, Bush is an idiot. Is that over the top?
Anyone who is offended by my remarks, please put me on your ignore list, and stop hijacking this thread. My comments were intended to help and put things in perspective, but all you did was bring to light exactly what the OP was talking about.
I'm now giving my monitor the finger.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Advice Wanted