Compatilbility with snake

garrowood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently have a snake, and am on the cusp of adopting a cat/kitten. I was wondering if anyone here owned a snake and a cat and if they have had any issues or advice to give. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't own snakes but I do own other reptiles. Certainly you have a lid and lid locks on your snake's cage already.
A cat or kitten will see a snake as something to 'hunt' and eat. This means it will likely be at the side of the glass harassing the snake whenever possible. To keep the kitten from possibly causing an accident/harming the snake and from stressing it out, try to move the snake to a shelf or area that the cat/kitten cannot access. Obviously, do not leave them out and alone together.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I don't own snakes but I do own other reptiles. Certainly you have a lid and lid locks on your snake's cage already.
A cat or kitten will see a snake as something to 'hunt' and eat. This means it will likely be at the side of the glass harassing the snake whenever possible. To keep the kitten from possibly causing an accident/harming the snake and from stressing it out, try to move the snake to a shelf or area that the cat/kitten cannot access. Obviously, do not leave them out and alone together.
Agreed! I have a "reptile" room, where no kitties are allowed

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well obviously the snake and the cat would not be allowed to interact, that is common sense. So if the snake is caged, you really have nothing to worry about. I had a homemade wooden lid on my snake terrarium and my cats loved to sit on top the tank bc it was so warm inside.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Well obviously the snake and the cat would not be allowed to interact, that is common sense. So if the snake is caged, you really have nothing to worry about. I had a homemade wooden lid on my snake terrarium and my cats loved to sit on top the tank bc it was so warm inside.
People let rodents and cats interact without second thought of the consequences, claiming that the animals are 'friends'.

As for even letting the cats near or on the cages, it's a very bad idea. This can stress a reptile enough that it will stop eating.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As with any kind of "prey" animal, its best to make sure you have a secure locked cage to keep the pet in. I've had a ribbon snake with cats. They liked watching it but was also careful to know where the cats were when taking the snake out.

I had one rex female that probably would have killed a snake if she had the chance. I had a play rubber snake and was kinda teasing the cats with it to see their reaction - this little female circled behind the snake and was ready to attack the back of the neck as if to kill it.

What size snake do you own?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my friends cat loves it when their 4 foot king snake wraps around it i guess the cat just loves the feel of the snake on him but this relationship is strange

ive seen cats kill many snakes

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the snake is large and hungry enough, and the kitten small enough, it is capable of eating the kitten! I would never let a constrictor snake wrap any of my animals as if they decide to start squeezing (who knows what tiny movement or sensation sets them off) that'll also be the end of your cat.

sunskitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two cats and a King Snake. Our snakes cage is mounted about 5 feet up on the wall. The cats look at it everyonce in a while, at first they tried to jump on things to get to it, but now they don't even act like it is there. We have a lock on the top of the snake cage, and a very secure door just incase. My suggestion is to keep them both safe: snake to far away for the kitties to get to, and never kitties and snake out in the same room. Good Luck: a cat is a blessing!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No snake experience, but IMO as a bird keeper, it is always safest if the predator and prey animals you bring into your home are kept as separate as possible! Whether this means a separate room, or a locking lid for the vivarium placed where it can't be tipped over. And as other people have pointed out if the snake is large or a constrictor it could kill a kitten.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I had one rex female that probably would have killed a snake if she had the chance. I had a play rubber snake and was kinda teasing the cats with it to see their reaction - this little female circled behind the snake and was ready to attack the back of the neck as if to kill it.
We have a snake toy/ornament thing made out of wooden disks on a stiff leather strip - so it moves when you pick it up by the tail. Radar found it, knocked it onto the floor, and had a great time with it. It was fun to watch, because he instinctively knew how to approach and pounce it, and to bite on the neck behind the head to minimise the risk to himself.

I have absolutely no doubt that he could hunt and kill a snake very effectively.