Distance Learning Class?

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am signed up for a distance learning class this summerm, and the quarter starts tomorrow...

But I haven't heard anything! What do I do? Where is the class???

Should I e-mail the professor? We have an online course aide thing called Carmen, where I'd say about 50% of regular classes put stuff like grades or readings and homework, I figured it would be on there but it isn't yet.

The whole idea of this is just sort of weird to me!

Have you guys ever taken one? Help!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken several through the community college and the university here. We always had to log in to WebCT before class started (that is also where the class was held). As long as the email you gave the college is the one you've been checking, I would email the professor and ask - just to make sure.

Good luck!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always got e-mails like 2 weeks before the course started. I would e-mail your professor, perhaps introduce yourself or something...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yea i got a mail about a week before saying, when the class would start
and where to go to log in.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've taken "distance classes" before, but they didn't involve logging into a computer for it.

I had to pick up the course material at the college and worked on it in my own time and did the exams at the scheduled location so they could be monitored.

Maybe that is the type of class you signed up for?

I've never heard of distance classes that involved "Logging in"

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I've taken "distance classes" before, but they didn't involve logging into a computer for it.

I had to pick up the course material at the college and worked on it in my own time and did the exams at the scheduled location so they could be monitored.

Maybe that is the type of class you signed up for?

I've never heard of distance classes that involved "Logging in"
yep i have done those types also, heeh in fact i like those. better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's at a specific time, because I would think my schedule would say that so I couldn't sign up for another one at the same time... it says the day/time are 'arranged'. Hopefully it isn't, because I'm pretty much working when I don't have a different class!

I will go through my e-mail again just to make sure though!

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Email your prof. I've taken several online classes through my school and always been sent a password and link about two weeks before each class begins. They are on a program called Moodle, instead of the usual program where my grades, etc. are posted.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The distance learning classes I have taken usually provided an email about 2 days before the class started.

We would just receive emails from the prof, send emails to him, and then log onto blackboard for homework and such.

This was before they made distance learning as volatile as they have it now.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The community college that I took my class through has a link on the website for all online classes. The link takes you to a login page, you sign in and it kicks you into the appropriate online class after downloading the software.
It was an 8 wk class, with one lesson & test released a week. It was easy enough that I could have completed it in 24 hrs

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has finally appeared!

I think he must have forgotten to activate the course in the system until just a little bit ago-- it's pretty much complete. Though now I'm more confused about the like 15 textbooks of which either 7 or 3 are actually required... *sigh* but it looks pretty cool aside from that.

The prof is a Vietnam vet who thinks we should have been there even though we lost... which is an interesting perspective to me at least.

I don't think it'll be very easy, it's a regular class that's been transferred to online by the regular prof and he seems bent on squeezing our little heads full of knowledge. The readings take as long to read as it does to go to lecture, plus the homework readings... oh what have I gotten myself into!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, right *doh!*

It's a history of the VietNam War.