Ragdolls and FURminator

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have a Ragdoll, but Puppy's fur sounds to be similar (very soft, rabbit-like fluffball). He's a DSH, but he's mostly undercoat. I have to buy special collars for him because most collars rip out his fur.

I found this online:

www.furminator.com

Have any of the Ragdoll owners tried this? Does it hurt your cats fur?

All the testimonials talk about how smooth and sleek their pet was because this thing took out the undercoat. Puppy naturally has a pretty full summer coat, and I'd like to keep it that way. However, he's shedding his super-thick winter coat right now, and there's fur everywhere. The brushes and combs I have aren't getting much, and even bathing him didn't get much out. (I'm convinced that his skin never actually got wet though. I have to dunk him in soapy water to get it to penetrate his fur at all.) What do you guys use for grooming?

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a Rake for brushing Hershey it gets alot of his hair. It had BIG metal teeth. I got it for my Cocker Spaniel but ended up using it on Hershey my Ragdoll.

familytimerags

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

I don't have a Ragdoll, but Puppy's fur sounds to be similar (very soft, rabbit-like fluffball). He's a DSH, but he's mostly undercoat. I have to buy special collars for him because most collars rip out his fur.

I found this online:

www.furminator.com

Have any of the Ragdoll owners tried this? Does it hurt your cats fur?

All the testimonials talk about how smooth and sleek their pet was because this thing took out the undercoat. Puppy naturally has a pretty full summer coat, and I'd like to keep it that way. However, he's shedding his super-thick winter coat right now, and there's fur everywhere. The brushes and combs I have aren't getting much, and even bathing him didn't get much out. (I'm convinced that his skin never actually got wet though. I have to dunk him in soapy water to get it to penetrate his fur at all.) What do you guys use for grooming?
I am sorry, I don't know about the Furminator, but I do know that at this time my Ragdolls are also shedding their winter coats down. (HA, and some say Ragdolls don't shed) As the poster above said using a rake comb or combo comb with the metal teeth closer together to remove more of the undercoat.
Have you tried a sprayer that hooks to your sink or tub to be able to use as a grooming sprayer, so you can wet down the coat completely, we use one of those and it helps us a lot, and we are giving show baths.
Your kitty probably doesn't need many baths, if he is an indoor only kitty, he just needs to get that dead fur out, so a good rake or small tooth comb would work well with that. I also use the Zoom Groom, which seems to work well on those cats with that bunny soft texture, it just grabs it and brings in out, so that might be of some help.
Since he isn't being shown, using a rake and such to remove some of the undercoat isn't going to hurt. I think some even resort to going to a groomer to shave, it makes the owners happy, not so sure about the cat....LOL
Good Luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll try the zoom groom out. I saw a picture of it and didn't really believe that it works. I usually bath the cats 3 times a year to remove fur (though we've bathed Puppy 5 times so far this year due to his remarkable ability to get VERY dirty indoors). We have a comb and one of those dual sided brushes. The comb is ok, and the soft side of the brush sorta works, but it's hard to remove the fur from the brush. The other side of the brush does nothing.

Thanks for the suggestion about the sprayer, that should help penetrate the fur. I can't imagine how people with Persians get their cats wet!

sandycoles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh it is awsome i use it for my ragdoll cats i am a breeder and i just love it.
It takes all the under coat that is ready to shed off so I don't have to worry about them shedding any hair on my floor for 3 months it is great oh ya and it doesn't hurt.