TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Been in hospital
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Been in hospital

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Well I've been having some trouble with gastrointestinal reflux over the past couple of weeks. I keep waking up in the middle of the night with severe upper abdominal pain that I have to really nail with strong pain killers before I can go back to sleep. I've been going to sleep sitting up, cross-legged, with my head bent forward on four pillows hugging a heat pack.

I had an appointment with a specialist last Friday but for one reason or another I cancelled it. I was feeling better and, having worked in gastro for so many years, didn't want to be guilty of being one of those people who has a little knowledge and therefore reads too much into everything.

Well, Monday night, the last night of my leave, I woke again at 3am with really intense pain. It was radiating through to my back and I couldn't sit or lie down. I was pacing around the house, breathing heavily, with my heat pack, and really strong pain killers didn't touch it. Finally after nearly an hour and a half Max took me to emergency.

I was there for six hours and ended up having four shots of morphine before I could settle down. It was so awful. So I'm seeing a specialist next week. I've had a gastroscopy for a bit of reflux in the past but it's never been this bad, ever. It was really scary and poor Max was almost catatonic with exhaustion by the time we got home in the morning.

Does anyone here have any problems with reflux? I mean really bad, really painful reflux? I must admit that I never knew how painful this could be. I know I need to take medication regularly and modify my diet and eating habits more, but does anyone else have any tips?

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post but I'm feeling a bit rotten
post #2 of 29
No advice, just some hope you feel better soon.
post #3 of 29
i hope you start to feel better soon. HUG
and like i said in my PM, i think i am starting the same thing, anytime i lay down, i burp up acid like crazy, unless i drink a ton of milk before going to bed.
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
That's no good Bruce!! You should maybe try Mylanta or something and see if it settles. That's what I've been doing but to no avail this time, unfortunately.

I haven't had any other symptoms of reflux like burping or tasting any acid, so when I was in hospital they gave me an abdominal x-ray and ultrasound, and took some blood in case it was gallstones. Mum had very bad gallbladder disease so it had to be ruled out. None thank goodness - but I don't trust emergency radiology so I'm having another ultrasound by a specialist I know just to make doubly sure. Gallstones can be nasty. I'm almost 100% sure it's not that though - thank goodness!
post #5 of 29
Aaaaah Sarah..I have no advice for ya..but lots of hugs...

I can't imagine how that would feel..it sounds nasty though.
post #6 of 29
Yes I do.It is getting worse now also.
I take meds for it and nothing seems to be helping it.Diet change,nothing is working.
I hope yours gets better soon.
post #7 of 29
Dang Sarah, I was hoping you were having a great holiday and didn't have time for us.

and hope you feel better soon.

A few guys at work have the reflux, and they swear by drinking a half cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with water twice a day. Said it works better than any of their meds.
post #8 of 29
Thread Starter 
Aww thanks Neet. Nope, holiday was lovely but SOOOOO busy - busier than when I'm at work!! I thought it would look REALLY bad to not go to work on the first day I was due back, but my boss was so lovely and understanding. I went in after a couple of hours sleep in the morning to do the afternoon post-op clinic, and he was just so nice about it all.

I am definitely going to try your apple cider vinegar suggestion. I'll try ANYTHING at this stage!
post #9 of 29
I hope you feel better soon. I don't have any advice, but you best take care of your self.
post #10 of 29
So sorry to hear about your reflux.

I don't know anyone who has it (well fiance claims he has it, BUT he drinks diet sode like its going to disappear tomorrow...so its his own fault ). I hope you do feel better though.
post #11 of 29
My hubby uses 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water for it.Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww he says it works, cause you burp really loud and then feel better.I tried it once,and threw up.
I am using Prilosec 2 times a day and 4-6 Pepcid AC
So, I know what you're going through.I think the worst part is at night,waking up with the acid in the back of your throat choking you.
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
Well that actually hasn't happened to me yet. All I'm getting is the intense pain. The consensus at the hospital is that I have an ulcer that is about to burst (nice) and that's why I need further investigation. I've gotta learn to stop getting so anxious about things...
post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
Well I've been having some trouble with gastrointestinal reflux over the past couple of weeks. I keep waking up in the middle of the night with severe upper abdominal pain that I have to really nail with strong pain killers before I can go back to sleep. I've been going to sleep sitting up, cross-legged, with my head bent forward on four pillows hugging a heat pack.

I had an appointment with a specialist last Friday but for one reason or another I cancelled it. I was feeling better and, having worked in gastro for so many years, didn't want to be guilty of being one of those people who has a little knowledge and therefore reads too much into everything.

Well, Monday night, the last night of my leave, I woke again at 3am with really intense pain. It was radiating through to my back and I couldn't sit or lie down. I was pacing around the house, breathing heavily, with my heat pack, and really strong pain killers didn't touch it. Finally after nearly an hour and a half Max took me to emergency.

I was there for six hours and ended up having four shots of morphine before I could settle down. It was so awful. So I'm seeing a specialist next week. I've had a gastroscopy for a bit of reflux in the past but it's never been this bad, ever. It was really scary and poor Max was almost catatonic with exhaustion by the time we got home in the morning.

Does anyone here have any problems with reflux? I mean really bad, really painful reflux? I must admit that I never knew how painful this could be. I know I need to take medication regularly and modify my diet and eating habits more, but does anyone else have any tips?

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post but I'm feeling a bit rotten
I am sorry that you have been sick, I hope they can find something to make you feel better.

I am sending hugs and prayers from Mississippi for you.

post #14 of 29
Do you mean a bleeding ulcer? YES,those hurt like you know what!!! Makes you want to lay down and cover your head up and never come out again.
The acid chokes me and makes me get up in a hurry to throw up.I often wake hubby up choking on acid.
I hope you get this figured out and feel better soon!!
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Yep - bleeding ulcer. Man, the pain. Honestly I was going through stages where I thought I had cancer the last two weeks (although I know that's a bit extreme...). The next day I was feeling so weak and pathetic, but I was starving so I had a mandarin and a banana. Then I hopped in the shower to try to make myself look presentable for work and threw the whole lot up before I could help myself. Not pleasant. But I've been eating normally since then and haven't had any recurrences. Hopefully the specialist will be able to sort it out for me.

I think what you have is almost worse in a way - there must be nothing more uncomfortable than a constant choking sensation and then throwing up all the time
post #16 of 29
Geez Sarah, that sounds awful I also have heard of the apple cider remedy, I hope it works for you
post #17 of 29
Ouch... all I can do is offer some hugs, & hope you feel better VERY soon!!
post #18 of 29
I'm sorry - no advice here for you. As a person currently dealing with gallstones - I feel your pain. I hope that the specialist will be able to do something to help you.
post #19 of 29
My Mother had the same problem years ago. She was sleeping sitting up and was in the bathroom throwing up a lot. When I talk to her again I will ask what she did for the pain. I know it acts up when she eats onions.
I hope you feel better soon.
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
That's no good Bruce!! You should maybe try Mylanta or something and see if it settles. That's what I've been doing but to no avail this time, unfortunately.

I haven't had any other symptoms of reflux like burping or tasting any acid, so when I was in hospital they gave me an abdominal x-ray and ultrasound, and took some blood in case it was gallstones. Mum had very bad gallbladder disease so it had to be ruled out. None thank goodness - but I don't trust emergency radiology so I'm having another ultrasound by a specialist I know just to make doubly sure. Gallstones can be nasty. I'm almost 100% sure it's not that though - thank goodness!
Have the ultrasound - I had the same thing you were talking about - severe GERD for months. The night after I came back from a trip, I had severe pain and was vomiting. About 3am I went to the emergency room and had the ultrasound. Next thing I was having my gallbladder out. I haven't had the reflux problem since.
post #21 of 29
I have acid reflux, bile reflux, colonic inertia, hiatal hernia, and gastritis! I have some wicked digestive problems! my heartburn is so bad Im suppose to take two protonix a day, general people take only one! That doesn't seem to help me though my bravo surgery showed it did! I get pain that is so intense it affects my breathing (which is bad on the daily as is) and it send shooting pain into my back! My gi said the intense back pain is due to both of my reflux issues because the back is in the general area, the esophagus is radiating all that pain into all the general locations! I have had in my life so far 3 endoscopies, one was a bravo surgery and 2 colonoscopies! For some reason I found that pepto helps me better than the protonix and the gaviscon... I am suppose to take gaviscon before I eat (in addition 2 my two protonix a day)! Have you ever checked into getting a wedge for your bed (wedge pillow).? I haven't because they are expensive! Try to avoid eating at least 3 hours before bedtime... Of course Im sure you have a list of all the things to avoid... fried foods, caffine, spices, etc! I did want to let you know I feel your pain... I also have MVP which sometimes causes me chest pain... In addition to heartburn it is no fun! Definitely see the GI, this is not normal!
post #22 of 29
No advice, just tons of for you!!
post #23 of 29
Sorry to hear that you're feeling so horrible! I hope you'll feel good soon!

See a gastroenterologist ASAP (GI specialist).

If you have stomach acid problems that are severe, and are not already taking proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), ask your doctor about starting one, e.g. Protonix (the generic names of this class of Rx ends in -prazole, e.g. pantoprazole or omeprazole). There are other acid reducers out there, but PPIs are mostffective.

Ask your doctor about specific foods to avoid, e.g. chocolate, fatty foods; these can delay gastric emptying, increasing the possibility of reflux. Also, he/she should help you come up with an eating schedule, e.g. more frequent small meals.

This may not apply to you, but: If you're overweight at all, lose weight (as though that were easy!! ) Helps a lot with GERD.

Your GI doctor should probably do an upper endoscopy to look at the inside of your stomach, esp. if you have a bleeding ulcer. The last thing you want is for the ulcer to perforate your stomach and hit an artery (sorry to be so ominous). Also, prolonged acid erosion of your stomach-esophagus junction can potentially lead to esophageal cancer 10-20 yrs down the line -- which you definitely don't want! Your doc can also check to make sure it's not other organs causing the pain, e.g. pancreatitis can cause a nasty pain radiating to the back.

You shouldn't have to suffer like this.
GOOD LUCK! And Be Well!
post #24 of 29
Oh how painful it sounds. I have no other suggestions, just lots of healing <<vibes>> and hope you get to feeling better soon.
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
Yep - bleeding ulcer. Man, the pain. Honestly I was going through stages where I thought I had cancer the last two weeks (although I know that's a bit extreme...). The next day I was feeling so weak and pathetic, but I was starving so I had a mandarin and a banana. Then I hopped in the shower to try to make myself look presentable for work and threw the whole lot up before I could help myself. Not pleasant. But I've been eating normally since then and haven't had any recurrences. Hopefully the specialist will be able to sort it out for me.

I think what you have is almost worse in a way - there must be nothing more uncomfortable than a constant choking sensation and then throwing up all the time
I'll be ok. you just learn to live with it after awhile.I went and had the endoscopy done and was told I have GERD.I have tried everything from avoiding certain foods and drinks, to sleeping on 2 pillows at night so my head is propped up.
With Seth's incident, I haven't went back to my Dr about the reflux.I know what he will say and I just don't have the $$$ or the time.........who can take time out for a surgury when you have sick kids at home?
I hope you're able to figure something out SOON and get the very much needed relief that you deserve.
post #26 of 29
About 20 yrs ago I was diagnosed with duodenal ulcer. Nights were the worst-I would "sleep" kneeling over the bed. The baking soda thing does work but its gotta be in warmish water about 4 oz then I drink another few ounces and then pace around the house waiting for the burps!! I had a couple of triggers on my ulcer-pizza was the worst. Also when it acted up I had to avoid caffiene, alcohol for two weeks. Also aspirin and nictotine are to be avoided too.
I hope the docs can pinpoint a cause for you.
Get a couple blocks of wood and put them under your bed's headboard to prop you up when you sleep.
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post
I'll be ok. you just learn to live with it after awhile.I went and had the endoscopy done and was told I have GERD.I have tried everything from avoiding certain foods and drinks, to sleeping on 2 pillows at night so my head is propped up.
With Seth's incident, I haven't went back to my Dr about the reflux.I know what he will say and I just don't have the $$$ or the time.........who can take time out for a surgury when you have sick kids at home?
I hope you're able to figure something out SOON and get the very much needed relief that you deserve.
2 pillows is not sufficient! No matter how many pillows you use it doesn't give you the elevation you need. Get a wedge if you can... my GI is awesome and recommended it... All three of the GI's I had said pillow proping is not effective! Surgery isn't highly recommended for any digestive issues due to risks and there isn't a high success rate of improvement (3 of my gi's told me it is only used in extreme situations) I don't need it, and I have severe acid reflux, bile reflux, gastritis, colonic inertia, and a hiatal hernia!

Here is a link to wedges! It is highly recommended!

http://about.pricegrabber.com/search...p/page_id=1471

I have been seeing GI's yearly since I was 19 (I am now 24)!
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post
My hubby uses 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water for it.Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww he says it works, cause you burp really loud and then feel better.I tried it once,and threw up.
I am using Prilosec 2 times a day and 4-6 Pepcid AC
So, I know what you're going through.I think the worst part is at night,waking up with the acid in the back of your throat choking you.
I talked to Mom and she said her's was hormonal related. The prilosec helped big time.
post #29 of 29
I have severe GERD (so bad it's caused hiatial hernias- i also have a lot of other GI issues though so i can not get surgery to fix my GERD symptoms because of that.) I have had to completly change my diet to eliminate foods that cause my symptoms and cut way back on them. The ONLY thing that has helped me is a double dose of Zegarid. I take one in the morning and one at night and it keeps me for the most part symptom free. Definitely ask your doctor about Zegarid!! Nothing else has helped me (tums, pepcid, prilosec, prevacid, nexium- nothing else!) Zegarid has been a total life saver for me And it's great to be able to sleep at night and function during the day without having to constantly deal with GERD symptoms. I pray your doctor finds something that can help you I know Zegarid helped me!- i hope it can help you too It takes a few days to really get into your system- but once it does you will really (hopefully!) start to see a difference in your quality of life
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Been in hospital