Moving the Kittens (pictures)

msgoody2shoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday my kittens turned 5 weeks old. They are very happy in our home. My mother and I have done hours of research on making sure that we provide the kittens and their mother Mary-Jane with everything they need.
My mother insists that it's a good idea to move the kittens up to our landlady's house. Our landlady has no idea how to take care of kittens or Mary-Jane and is never home. Her other cat needs to be fed by her neighbour because Sandra (the landlady) always forgets.
My mother knows all this but says that it's a good idea because that way when the kittens go to their permanent new homes, they won't be freaked out by all the change. She believes that by moving them to a new home, with Mary-Jane, they will be more comfortable with the big move.
I am worried because I don't think that Sandra will provide them with the care they need, since she doesn't know how, and especially since she is never home, anyways.
What should be done?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww they are very cute - I'm partial to the red cats
But to move them to a house where the person can't or won't take care of them is not the right thing to do. Why can't you keep them till they find homes?

luke_the_duke55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I believe that they should stay with you and the momma. It is ur burden to carry since you let her get pregnant. You are responsible for socializing them too and in doing so they will make a smooth transition where ever their wonderful lives will take them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msgoody2shoes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't let Mary-Jane get pregnant. She started off as my landlady's cat who she was neglectful enough not to spay but let outdoors. A lot of the time we would find Mary-Jane freezing during the winter so we brought her inside a lot and she sort of became our cat.
The reason for asking about moving them is because my mom is dumb and thinks it will be good for them to go through a move so they will be ready for the big move to their new homes.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should keep mom and babies until they are socialized and find new homes. No sense in moving them around too much, it will only make them frightened and insecure. They might think they will always be moved around. They are just adorable, I don't know if I could let them go any sooner than necessary.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would just keep them, and then move them to new homes. It would just make it worse to move them twice, because it wouldnt make the second move easier, but IMO harder. They are adorable btw!

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keisha

I would just keep them, and then move them to new homes. It would just make it worse to move them twice, because it wouldnt make the second move easier, but IMO harder. They are adorable btw!

I agree. They should be kept in the home they grew up in all their lives until they are ready to be adopted out to a new family.

I think it would only scare them and it could also be dangerous if the landlord does not have the house kitten proofed.

They also need lots of socialization with people right now and leaving them alone with momma all day with no human interaction would not be good for them.