TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Pit Bull 101
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pit Bull 101

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
Today was such a busy day at our shelter today!!! At one point i was showing several people who were looking to adopt our dogs. We passed one of the cages with my favorite dog in it, Jimbo (GORGEOUS brindle pit bull- sweet as he can be!) and they asked me "aren't pit bulls bad dogs? would they bite/hurt my family?" They were kind people- they ment well, but had just been surrounded like many others with misconceptions and lies about this wonderful breed. It was such a GREAT opportunity to really kindly educate these people on what great dogs Pit Bulls (and any dog for that matter!!!) can be with a little love, good training, and a good home) They were soooo open to learning about this breed and really wanted to know the truth- that's awesome! By the time we were done talking about pit bulls and other large breeds that often get bad raps (thanks to the media) they had fallen in LOVE with another little pit bull that they had taken outside for a walk and in the dog run. They all got along sooooo well and wonderfull! Since it was almost closing time- i told them to go home and do their homework- research the breed and learn if it's the right one for their home. Then they are to get vet references/etc and if they are still interested...we're going to do a home inspection next week and let them foster before they adopt. They are soooooo excited!!!!!! And i am just estatic- talk about another rumor dissolved. It is soo wonderful sometimes to be able to work at the shelter i'm at and really be able to educate the public on misconceptions and wind up placing great animals into the right homes!!! I just had to share this with ya'll- it REALLY made my day!!!!!
post #2 of 29
That is just great Nikki, you are doing a wonderful job
post #3 of 29
aw thats great news. its a shame the pitbull is banned over here in the uk , even if a staff looks like one they will be taken in assesed etc.. and then the judge will decide weather it lives or gets pts. its gotten so bad over here at the moment.
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Today was such a busy day at our shelter today!!! At one point i was showing several people who were looking to adopt our dogs. We passed one of the cages with my favorite dog in it, Jimbo (GORGEOUS brindle pit bull- sweet as he can be!) and they asked me "aren't pit bulls bad dogs? would they bite/hurt my family?" They were kind people- they ment well, but had just been surrounded like many others with misconceptions and lies about this wonderful breed. It was such a GREAT opportunity to really kindly educate these people on what great dogs Pit Bulls (and any dog for that matter!!!) can be with a little love, good training, and a good home) They were soooo open to learning about this breed and really wanted to know the truth- that's awesome! By the time we were done talking about pit bulls and other large breeds that often get bad raps (thanks to the media) they had fallen in LOVE with another little pit bull that they had taken outside for a walk and in the dog run. They all got along sooooo well and wonderfull! Since it was almost closing time- i told them to go home and do their homework- research the breed and learn if it's the right one for their home. Then they are to get vet references/etc and if they are still interested...we're going to do a home inspection next week and let them foster before they adopt. They are soooooo excited!!!!!! And i am just estatic- talk about another rumor dissolved. It is soo wonderful sometimes to be able to work at the shelter i'm at and really be able to educate the public on misconceptions and wind up placing great animals into the right homes!!! I just had to share this with ya'll- it REALLY made my day!!!!!
I have not had a Pit Bull but I have had a Doberman back when they were making all of those stupid movies about Dobermans. Needless to say (it is needless, isn't it), she was the sweetest dog I ever had. It is amazing how much information is garnered from movies!
post #5 of 29
How wonderful/....
post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSULOVER View Post
That is just great Nikki, you are doing a wonderful job
Thanks gorgeous, i really appreciate that I really try to educate in a kind way when we have people comming in asking about pit bulls, declawing, indoors vs. outdoors and things like that. A lot of times people leave learning something new that benifits their already exisiting pets and prepares them to open up their homes to another one etc. It's just great!!!! They are supposed to come back on Monday with their vets note to foster her (and so we can inspect their home/backyard. They are such sweet people too! They were going out after they left to go get supplies/toys/etc for her She's gonna have a good home! But i told them before they come back- to RESEARCH the breed/etc and make sure it's a good match for them. They're soo excited! I hope it all works out (oh yeah and i thought of another one- the myth that their jaws "lock" i can't tell you how many people actually think that's true that i've had to tell otherwise)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxtashaxX View Post
aw thats great news. its a shame the pitbull is banned over here in the uk , even if a staff looks like one they will be taken in assesed etc.. and then the judge will decide weather it lives or gets pts. its gotten so bad over here at the moment.
oh my goodness! that is just aweful! i had heard rumors that stuff like that went on there reguarding pits but i didn't realize it was true! that is too sad they are such wonderful dogs too when loved,trained, and given a good chance just like any other pup.
post #7 of 29
Rotties are one that have been given a bad rep also.I can vouch that they can be the most loyal and loving dogs that one could ever own.We had a female that protected the kids with her life.......literally!!!!She is now longer with us because of that.
Nikki, I'm glad that you were able to educate them on the breed.Shawn and I have often thought about *possibly* getting one.
post #8 of 29
Thats so great Nikki, you made a true difference today!!
post #9 of 29
It really is too bad that Pits have gotten the bad reputation hat they have now. They are great dogs if treated properly. It's great that you were able to show these people the truth. Good Job.
post #10 of 29
Good story,
hehe my sisters pit bulls, hides whenver ever people come over,
or should say used to hide. but after she got used to you, all she wanted was to sit in you lap or try to haha
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittermom View Post
Rotties are one that have been given a bad rep also.I can vouch that they can be the most loyal and loving dogs that one could ever own.We had a female that protected the kids with her life.......literally!!!!She is now longer with us because of that.
Nikki, I'm glad that you were able to educate them on the breed.Shawn and I have often thought about *possibly* getting one.
Oh i defintiely agree!!! I had two gorgeous rotties growing up!!! Sam and Baby- absoutely wonderful dogs!!!!! i still miss them to this day! Sam used to LOVE jelly beans and would steal them from me every Easter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
Thats so great Nikki, you made a true difference today!!
Thankyou Kenzie i appreciate that. It makes me happy knowing at least there will be a few more people who now know the truth about these wonderful dogs and how they deserve a chance too If that helps save some wonderful dogs lives- then i've done my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireBear View Post
It really is too bad that Pits have gotten the bad reputation hat they have now. They are great dogs if treated properly. It's great that you were able to show these people the truth. Good Job.
Definitely- they are wonderful dogs, just as every other breed/mutt is if treated right I love them!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
Good story,
hehe my sisters pit bulls, hides whenver ever people come over,
or should say used to hide. but after she got used to you, all she wanted was to sit in you lap or try to haha
Aww Bruce- that is too cute
post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
just a pic to go along with the thread....my 12 year old wolf mix, (mom was a full blooded wolf- daddy was a german shepherd/ norwedgian elkhound mix) Ginger......considered by many to be an "aggressive,unadoptable" type

Sleeping on the couch with my nephew Isaac- she is the best dog i have ever know and is soooo gentle!

does she look viscious to ya'll??
post #13 of 29
Nikki-thats great!! I know I wouldnt trade my precious Amy(yes, shes a pit) for the world! Last night my brother kinda surprised me,because hes never been one to *like* pit bulls and he was out at the house just oohing and awing over Amy and saying how he would love to have her and how pretty she was!! I was like "oh yeah.....this is great" LOL!!
post #14 of 29
That's great, Nikki! Way to go! as you know I LOVE pit bulls and I hate that they have such a bad rap. I wish more people could see what great dogs they are. We try to educate the public about how great these dogs are at the shelter where I volunteer. thanks so much for making a difference! We definately need more people like you in this world to protect this wonderful breed! I really hope to have one someday, rescued of course. I just adore this breed.
post #15 of 29
Wonderful job Nikki. I adore rotties, dont think I could own one with teh size, but i have met a couple and they have been real softies!!
post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks View Post
Nikki-thats great!! I know I wouldnt trade my precious Amy(yes, shes a pit) for the world! Last night my brother kinda surprised me,because hes never been one to *like* pit bulls and he was out at the house just oohing and awing over Amy and saying how he would love to have her and how pretty she was!! I was like "oh yeah.....this is great" LOL!!
thanks monica- i appreciate that i think it's wonderful that you have such a huge soft spot in your heart for this beautiful breed!!!!!!your furbabies are just tooo adorable! I always love seeing their pictures! pits are such sweet babies when people give them the chance, as is just about any other doggie out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy View Post
That's great, Nikki! Way to go! as you know I LOVE pit bulls and I hate that they have such a bad rap. I wish more people could see what great dogs they are. We try to educate the public about how great these dogs are at the shelter where I volunteer. thanks so much for making a difference! We definately need more people like you in this world to protect this wonderful breed! I really hope to have one someday, rescued of course. I just adore this breed.
Thanks Krista. Your shelter is very lucky to have such a good volunteer that helps soo many animals I hope to have a pit someday as well. I really want to adopt Jimbo, the one at the shelter that i am head over heels for (i spoil him rotten too- always giving him extra treats and bedding lol) but right now is not a good time to add to our fur family as i just moved my girls in/etc. Someday though!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booktigger View Post
Wonderful job Nikki. I adore rotties, dont think I could own one with teh size, but i have met a couple and they have been real softies!!
Rotties are such AWESOME dogs!!! I had two really sweet ones growing up- gentle as they could be- they were such big babies too lol.
post #17 of 29
aww thanks Nikki!

I LOVE rotties, my Jenny is a rottie mix. omg they are such great dogs!
post #18 of 29
Good News Nikki! That's great. I have also heard bad things about pit bulls and also thought the same until recently. I have just heard too many stories including where people were viciously attacked. My neighbor next door has the sweetest pit bull and he just got another one. A cute little female puppy! She is sooo cute!! I can't believe how fast they grow!
I really hope it works out for those people. You will have to let us know how it goes.
post #19 of 29
Great job, Nikki!!

I know the feeling, having opened people up (it's not really "convincing" that we do...we obviously don't want to push people in any one direction to avoid returns) to adult cats (instead of kittens), FHV cats and FIV+ cats! As I'm sure you know by now, this high lasts for days!
post #20 of 29
Thread Starter 
UPDATE!!!!

little Sissy is now in an AWESOME foster home!!! She will be fostered for three days and if all goes well adopted! (people already passed reference check, vet recommendation, and inspection)
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8211943
post #21 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
UPDATE!!!!

little Sissy is now in an AWESOME foster home!!! She will be fostered for three days and if all goes well adopted! (people already passed reference check, vet recommendation, and inspection)
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=8211943
that's awesome! she's GORGEOUS! I hope it works out.
post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy View Post
that's awesome! she's GORGEOUS! I hope it works out.
i think it will she did SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo good when they took her out to the dog park for a walk/to see how she was. She is just a doll (one of my favs at the shelter- sooooooooooooooo sweet!!!!) she will definitely be spoiled rotten in her new home if they wind up adopting her too- They showed up at the shelter with lots of puppy treats/toys for ALL of the doggies Great people!!!
post #23 of 29
Excellent news.
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Today was such a busy day at our shelter today!!! At one point i was showing several people who were looking to adopt our dogs. We passed one of the cages with my favorite dog in it, Jimbo (GORGEOUS brindle pit bull- sweet as he can be!) and they asked me "aren't pit bulls bad dogs? would they bite/hurt my family?" They were kind people- they ment well, but had just been surrounded like many others with misconceptions and lies about this wonderful breed. It was such a GREAT opportunity to really kindly educate these people on what great dogs Pit Bulls (and any dog for that matter!!!) can be with a little love, good training, and a good home) They were soooo open to learning about this breed and really wanted to know the truth- that's awesome! By the time we were done talking about pit bulls and other large breeds that often get bad raps (thanks to the media) they had fallen in LOVE with another little pit bull that they had taken outside for a walk and in the dog run. They all got along sooooo well and wonderfull! Since it was almost closing time- i told them to go home and do their homework- research the breed and learn if it's the right one for their home. Then they are to get vet references/etc and if they are still interested...we're going to do a home inspection next week and let them foster before they adopt. They are soooooo excited!!!!!! And i am just estatic- talk about another rumor dissolved. It is soo wonderful sometimes to be able to work at the shelter i'm at and really be able to educate the public on misconceptions and wind up placing great animals into the right homes!!! I just had to share this with ya'll- it REALLY made my day!!!!!
Nikki your post has made my day. You are a beautiful person and your love for these babies shines through your words. You are awaiting a very big reward one day in our afterlife - what an angel!
post #25 of 29
Aww, Nikki, shes a beautiful pittie!! I sure hope she can find a furever home!! Bless her heart.
post #26 of 29
Speaking of pit bulls, Nikki.. we got in the most gorgeous purebred pit bull, this lady brought her in on Tuesday so we could scan her for a microchip and look her over. she thought she was a hound. We are full and she said she would hang onto her because she loves her GSD and then the ACO brought her in yesterday saying they can't have her in there. She was recently spayed, she still has her sutures in. She's a sweetie and she is white and red. I believe she is a red nosed pit anyways I gave her a bath yesterday and she just sat there. She is so sweet! I doubt anyone will come looking. they never do for the pit bulls. the young people who have pit bulls here, if they go missing they think they got stolen and don't bother looking for them. but hopefully she will get re-claimed. the lady said she made her nervous I can't see why. she is the sweetest dog!
post #27 of 29



For educating these lovely people about pitties
Now they now what lovers they really are

You are an awsome person!!!!!!!!!
post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
AWESOME :censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor::censor: NEWS!!!!!!

today- my favorite doggie in the entire shelter got looked at by two wonderful different people!!!!!! Jimbo- my lovely brindle pit bull doggie that i'm in love with!!!! The both just loved him- they're supposed to bring in vet references/etc tomorrow so i guess whoever gets there first will potentially adopt him if all checks out (i'm off work tomorrow). I'm soooooo estatic!!!!! I interviewed both people myself and was VERY thorough with them- he will have an AWESOME home eithor way!!! I just pray when i get back to work on Saturday that my coworkers will tell me he went to his forever home!!! Keep your fingers crossed for Jimbo!!!!!

Also- Sissy got spayed today her foster family brought her in with a new hot pink collar and leash on her she's already spoiled rotten!!! i think they came to get her after i left work (i left at 4:30 and we closed at 6 today so i guess they came after i was gone).
post #29 of 29
that's great, Nikki!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Pit Bull 101