TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Can cats eat raw fish (sashimi from restaurant)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can cats eat raw fish (sashimi from restaurant)?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 
I am just wondering if fresh raw fish (sashimi) is safe for cats to eat. Of course there will not be wasabi on it, just plain fish. Is it safe? I am talking little amount like a tip of a finger size or smaller. Or is it harmful to them?
post #2 of 25
they SHOULD NOT ... Parasites and bacteria
post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 
ah, ok. tks. How about fresh fish just caught?
post #4 of 25
IF ya cook it yes ... NO RAW FISH..
post #5 of 25
Thread Starter 
ok, thanks for the info.
post #6 of 25
I'm sure if people are eating raw fish, the cats can Personally I don't think anyone (people or pets) should be eating raw fish


So Sharky, if the fish is unsafe for cats, wouldn't it be unsafe for humans?????
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I'm sure if people are eating raw fish, the cats can Personally I don't think anyone (people or pets) should be eating raw fish


So Sharky, if the fish is unsafe for cats, wouldn't it be unsafe for humans?????
I wont eat raw fish... Unless your ancestory ate it I would think it is a BIG risk... oh and many folks get sick from raw fish way more than evan raw beef
post #8 of 25
I agree with Sharky about the risk of parasites. Personally, I won't touch ANYTHING from the ocean, not even if it is cooked.

However, cat's intestines are NOT human intestines.

Yes, cats can catch tapeworms from raw fish, but if the human owner is eating the very same raw fish, and the cat likes it and gets a little taste and likes it, I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Many cats can eat garbage that would make a human sick almost immediately, but they process their food differently than we do. They can consume bacteria that we cannot, and they have no ill effects as a result. (Not all bacteria obviously.)

After all, how many people feed raw chicken - I would NEVER EVER eat raw chicken - you want to talk bacteria??? Yet it is ok for cats to eat - do you see the dichotomy in thinking there?
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
I agree with Sharky about the risk of parasites. Personally, I won't touch ANYTHING from the ocean, not even if it is cooked.

However, cat's intestines are NOT human intestines.

Yes, cats can catch tapeworms from raw fish, but if the human owner is eating the very same raw fish, and the cat likes it and gets a little taste and likes it, I see nothing wrong with that at all.

Many cats can eat garbage that would make a human sick almost immediately, but they process their food differently than we do. They can consume bacteria that we cannot, and they have no ill effects as a result. (Not all bacteria obviously.)

After all, how many people feed raw chicken - I would NEVER EVER eat raw chicken - you want to talk bacteria??? Yet it is ok for cats to eat - do you see the dichotomy in thinking there?

THE NO FISH came directly from my vet ... truelly not to many cats go fishing by nature
post #10 of 25
My cats eat raw fish, canned salmon and canned sardines (in spring water). They get fish as a meal once a week or less often. We feed safe fish from this site: http://www.oceansalive.org/eat.cfm?subnav=bestandworst We go by the safe list, obviously. LOL But we don't feed shrimp, scallops, oysters, muscles, things like that. Just frozen slamon and tilipia, canned mackeral, canned sardines and canned salmon (all in water, not oil)
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
THE NO FISH came directly from my vet ... truelly not to many cats go fishing by nature
There are a lot of smaller wild cats that do fish, I'm sure ferals would attempt it given the opportunity as well.
And if you want to tell one of the cats that my dad and his wife own that cats do not fish...they'd probably thank you, he's stolen a few fish from their garden pond.

I'm going to go with raw fish = nasty clause. I won't eat it so I sure as heck won't feed it to my cats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyR View Post
But we don't feed shrimp, scallops, oysters, muscles, things like that. Just frozen slamon and tilipia, canned mackeral, canned sardines and canned salmon (all in water, not oil)
Sheba makes a tuna and mussel tub that my boys love they won't touch sardines.

Canned mackeral works very well for getting cats in traps, the stuff is stinky.
post #12 of 25
My ex worked in the fish health dept for government - I have heard so much about fish diseases and parasites that there is no way I would eat raw fish myself, nor let my cats eat it. Seriously - you don't want to know about it, it would turn your stomach. River fish, sea fish, farmed fish, they are all affected in some way.
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
THE NO FISH came directly from my vet ... truelly not to many cats go fishing by nature
But as we all know by now, vets really aren't all that knowledgeable when it comes to feeding our cats.

My vet tried to get me to feed Ferris a prescription "can only buy through the vet's office" Eukenooba (sp) food that had grains as the first ingredient, including glutens.

Puh-lease....

I DO understand that some cats, especially males, can develop issues from eating too much fish, but again, if the cat owner eats it, there should be nothing wrong with them giving their kitties a taste.

I don't eat fish EVER, but that is the ONLY wet food Ginger will eat. IF I was a sushi eater, I'd absolutely offer her some.
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
But as we all know by now, vets really aren't all that knowledgeable when it comes to feeding our cats.

My vet tried to get me to feed Ferris a prescription "can only buy through the vet's office" Eukenooba (sp) food that had grains as the first ingredient, including glutens.

Puh-lease....

I DO understand that some cats, especially males, can develop issues from eating too much fish, but again, if the cat owner eats it, there should be nothing wrong with them giving their kitties a taste.

I don't eat fish EVER, but that is the ONLY wet food Ginger will eat. IF I was a sushi eater, I'd absolutely offer her some.
Unlike most vets ... mine actually has a masters in nutrition so when she says NO RAW fish i beleive it ..
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Unlike most vets ... mine actually has a masters in nutrition so when she says NO RAW fish i beleive it ..
LOL... that's rare. And you are more than welcome to have the last word.
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
LOL... that's rare. And you are more than welcome to have the last word.


you must be like my mom and the no fish...lol...
post #17 of 25
Hmm...I'm an occasional sushi eater and have always given Wally a little taste...guess I'll be thinking more about this...
post #18 of 25
I would not give my cats raw fish. They won't even eat fish in cat food. I just won't trust it. After the recall scare, and both my babies being affected I wouldn't give them anything out of the ordinary. As far as cats fishing, I've never seen a cat chase a chicken either and yet its a main ingredient in food. I know, its a protein source.
post #19 of 25
Well, since apparently everyone thinks raw fish is digusting, I guess that means more for me then! (Seriously, people...not even lox?)

Although I wouldn't want to gainsay a vet with a Master's in nutrition, I feel it's fine if the OP feeds his cat sashimi. Most restaurant sashimi is pre-frozen anyway, so risks of parasites or whatever would be pretty small, one would think. I've fed my kitty pieces of salmon sashimi (frozen, then de-thawed) on numerous occasions, and he's been fine. No vomiting, no diarrhea, nothing. (But then again, he has a cast-iron constitution.) Tuna sashimi is even safer.

So I say go for it. I'd rather my kitty gets his Omega-3s from a natural fish source than from supplements.
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nausicaa View Post
Well, since apparently everyone thinks raw fish is digusting, I guess that means more for me then! (Seriously, people...not even lox?)

Although I wouldn't want to gainsay a vet with a Master's in nutrition, I feel it's fine if the OP feeds his cat sashimi. Most restaurant sashimi is pre-frozen anyway, so risks of parasites or whatever would be pretty small, one would think. I've fed my kitty pieces of salmon sashimi (frozen, then de-thawed) on numerous occasions, and he's been fine. No vomiting, no diarrhea, nothing. (But then again, he has a cast-iron constitution.) Tuna sashimi is even safer.

So I say go for it. I'd rather my kitty gets his Omega-3s from a natural fish source than from supplements.
I am guessing you are not in the USA ??? am I correct ??? Fish in other areas is safer I still wouldnt feed it or eat it... Lox is lightly smoked and cured thus not true raw fish
post #21 of 25
I'm Canadian but currently living in the U.S. I don't know, I trust my sushi chef, I guess. I know there have been outbreaks of people getting poisoned by bad fish, though.

I guess it depends on whether the OP got his fish from a reputable source.

ETA: Oh, point taken on the lox. Darn, I guess that means ceviche isn't techically raw neither.
post #22 of 25
If I happen to have fresh or sashimi grade salmon I will cut a little bit and give them as a treat, nothing happen so far.
post #23 of 25
i love sashimi!!!!!!! actually i'm having it tonight!!!!! and seaweed salad
post #24 of 25
I read years ago that too much fish is bad for cats. My cousin's husband used to be a fisherman & they had lots of cats that always got fresh, raw mullet when he came home to clear his nets. Once, while there my cousin happened to say that she wondered what was wrong with the cats eyes, some of them had glassy, weepy eyes. I told her what I'd read about too much fish for cats but didn't know what it did to them. I don't know if they cut down on the fish or not as soon after they separated.
I've since read on the net about cats having too much fish being no good for them. It mentioned what types, but can't remember.
I have a number of books written by vets that advocate raw feeding, mainly raw meaty bones, including raw fish. You only have to put RMB into your search engine to get lots of info on natural feeding & what's wrong with feeding processed pet food.
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
I'm sure if people are eating raw fish, the cats can Personally I don't think anyone (people or pets) should be eating raw fish


So Sharky, if the fish is unsafe for cats, wouldn't it be unsafe for humans?????
Not necessarily. While I certainly don't have the scientifically accurate answer to this inquiry, the digestive system of cats is entirely different from that of human beings. This is why a raw diet is safe for cats and dogs and NOT safe for us people. Their digestive tract clears itself much faster than humans.

That having been said, I would be concerned about the possibility of bacteria and parasites AND the fact that cats are not meant to be eating fish in the first place. It is not something that would ever be in their natural diet.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › Can cats eat raw fish (sashimi from restaurant)?