TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Going to start babysitting.. ANY sitters here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Going to start babysitting.. ANY sitters here?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
So I have a master plan. And it's to be a stay at home mom and make money. So, I put an ad in the paper that will run tomorrow. I do hope it works out.

My question to the sitters here.

What are some questions I should ask and what are questions I should expect parents to ask?

Some things I've already thought about are:

Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, and evening snack provided.

Playtime: If the weather permits we will go outside in the evening. They can also play indoors with my daughters toys.

TV: Should I limit it? I know some parents do not like their children to watch a lot of tv. Age appropriate shows are available.

Obviously I'll need to ask about any allergies. And also have all appropriate contact information posted on the fridge.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

If the child is still in diapers/pull ups I will ask they provide them along with a change of clothing in case of accidents.
post #2 of 22
Well,

I would suggest checking with your state on what kind of regulations they have for home daycares.

Where I live, for a legal daycare there can only be a certain amount of children per adult and it's all dependent on age.

What are your hours of opperation?

How do you deal with discipline?

Do you have a nap time?

What is your daily routine?

Do you have any educational programming???

What kind of safty procautions have your taken in your house and yard to ensure the safety of the children in your care?



My son goes to an early childhood education facility and structure is very important. I know many parents like to be able to know what the routine schedual is so they can know what their child should be doing at a specific time.


Another really important thing is to give parents a tour of your home/facility and make sure they know it is ok for them to drop in any time because it makes them feel that you have nothing to hide and that it is safe.
post #3 of 22
The only thing I really know is that there is a limit to how many children you can have before you need a license...its 5 here, but could be different where you are.

Good luck
post #4 of 22
It's the same in the Uk, you have to be licensed, police checked, and your home checked by the fire dept.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese View Post
Well,

I would suggest checking with your state on what kind of regulations they have for home daycares.

Where I live, for a legal daycare there can only be a certain amount of children per adult and it's all dependent on age.

What are your hours of opperation?

How do you deal with discipline?

Do you have a nap time?

What is your daily routine?

Do you have any educational programming???

What kind of safty procautions have your taken in your house and yard to ensure the safety of the children in your care?...
Also, I don't think there should be any television, unless it's a special program once in a while, like the last day before Christmas holiday.

Definitely should be outside play or trip every day, too, at least to the park, unless the weather is really lousy.
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
Also, I don't think there should be any television, unless it's a special program once in a while, like the last day before Christmas holiday.

Definitely should be outside play or trip every day, too, at least to the park, unless the weather is really lousy.
Transportation will not be provided. Also I do not have to be licensed here unless I am going to take government money. (Those that get help from the gov. for child care). Which I will not be taking. And I will only have two children (not counting my child). My child always watches Noggin after she comes home from school. So if the children wish to watch with her I'd have no problem. Of course they could also do other things like play with toys or color. etc.. I'll also think of activities we can do together. Like paint or some kind of other group activity.

Safety, reminds me I need to go get a fire extinguisher today. I already have a first aid kit. Children will not be aloud in the kitchen unless they are sitting at the table away from the stove and utensils. I need to get locks for the cabinets too.

Keep the suggestions coming guys.
post #7 of 22
Mabe you could prepare some references? I think I'd like to be able to check them out if I were a parent considering anyone to care for my children.
post #8 of 22
My Grandmother used to do this. She lived in a 3 bedroom apartment, and had one room dedicated to the children where they kept their toys and where they went for naptime, etc. Her program was really simple, just basically kept the kids happy, fed them three meals (breakfast and lunch and a snack before they went home) and usually they went out to the nearby park in the afternoon. There was also a nearby wading pool where they went sometimes in the summer. There was naptime for the little ones and quiet time for the big ones at a scheduled point in the day, so she could have a bit of time to get stuff done around her place. She did this for many years, usually having 2 smaller ones (under school-age) during the day and sometimes an older child or two after school. As for an educational program, it would be nice for you to offer, but she certainly didn't. She spoke passable, but not great, English, so we'd always joke with her that her kids would learn to speak the same way she did.

I'd suggest having toys other than your children's to provide for the others. I'd hate to introduce conflict between your child and the others about this, or to make your chld feel as though she's being pushed out by the new ones.

I think one of the really important things is that you feel comfortable with the children and the families you're working with. Most of the families my Grandma worked for were great and they ended up being good friends. But there were the odd few who were sketchy, tried to take advantage, paid late, wanted to send the kids over during un-scheduled times without paying additionally, etc, etc, etc. As much as you need to sell yourself to them, they need to sell themselves to you.

Good luck!! You're taking on a challenging job, but it'll be good fun and really rewarding too.
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel View Post
My Grandmother used to do this. She lived in a 3 bedroom apartment, and had one room dedicated to the children where they kept their toys and where they went for naptime, etc. Her program was really simple, just basically kept the kids happy, fed them three meals (breakfast and lunch and a snack before they went home) and usually they went out to the nearby park in the afternoon. There was also a nearby wading pool where they went sometimes in the summer. There was naptime for the little ones and quiet time for the big ones at a scheduled point in the day, so she could have a bit of time to get stuff done around her place. She did this for many years, usually having 2 smaller ones (under school-age) during the day and sometimes an older child or two after school. As for an educational program, it would be nice for you to offer, but she certainly didn't. She spoke passable, but not great, English, so we'd always joke with her that her kids would learn to speak the same way she did.

I'd suggest having toys other than your children's to provide for the others. I'd hate to introduce conflict between your child and the others about this, or to make your chld feel as though she's being pushed out by the new ones.

I think one of the really important things is that you feel comfortable with the children and the families you're working with. Most of the families my Grandma worked for were great and they ended up being good friends. But there were the odd few who were sketchy, tried to take advantage, paid late, wanted to send the kids over during un-scheduled times without paying additionally, etc, etc, etc. As much as you need to sell yourself to them, they need to sell themselves to you.

Good luck!! You're taking on a challenging job, but it'll be good fun and really rewarding too.
Your grandmother sounds like a perfect example of what I aim to do. I wish there was a park we could walk to. Unfortunately there is not. So the back yard will have to do.

Sierra has toys that she has gathered up for Good wheel. I figured I could save them and offer those toys to the kids. But I have to see what ages I'll be watching first. Some of her toys are not appropriate for smaller children and will have to be put away. Sierras bedroom will also be off limits to the children. That is her safe spot in case she feels overwhelmed.

As far as my pets. I may have to contain Puff in our bedroom. Though he sleeps during the day most of the time he is not so well adjusted to little hands pulling on him. Sierra ignores him but again I'm not sure what ages I'll be taking on. I advertised for all ages so well see. I'll only be taking 2 children.

Kota on the other hand has been raised with children her whole life. She's great around them and I expect she'll take on a similar babysitter/play toy herself. So any parent will have to be comfortable with animals.
post #10 of 22
One thing that kind of stood out to me was that you would go outside in the evening weather permitted. What about during the day? If there is not a wind chill or heat index they should have a couple of chances to be outside at least to run off some energy.
post #11 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by april31 View Post
One thing that kind of stood out to me was that you would go outside in the evening weather permitted. What about during the day? If there is not a wind chill or heat index they should have a couple of chances to be outside at least to run off some energy.
The only thing I'd want to stay away from is the noon heat. I do have sun lotion but the heat gives me a headache so for little ones it may be too hot for them. They could go out around 10am though. It should be warm enough but not so hot that it is miserable.
post #12 of 22
Only thing I want to add. Be sure you are specific about Kota's breed. Invite the parents & children over to meet Kota & spend time with her. That might help alleviate any worries there.

There is a gal who does daycare in town here who has two large(morbidly obese) Labs. She invites the families to come meet the dogs first if they'd like to.
post #13 of 22
My mom did daycare in our home for 18 years. I have a lot of information, if you want, you can PM me

I know there are TONS of regulations, you have to be licenced if your going to have a certain number of kids, you can be on food programs, animals might be a concern, especially if the children are allergic, or scared. If you have a deck outside, the railings have to be a certain space apart and height, all fire extingushers have to be up to date, along with plug ins- they must have saftey plugs in them. You have to be up to date on your CPR trainings, ect. in case of emergencies, you pretty much have to child proof your home- no sharp edges on tables, glass objects that can be broken easily, because most parents WONT pay for any damages their kids do to your home.

Depending on the ages you are going to care for, you should have a potty chair for the ones who are not potty trained yet, and extra diapers for those who are in diapers (usually parents bring them and extra clothes for the children)

My mom had a set schedule for them (breakfast, playtime, lunch, nap, outside playtime, snack time and then by that time they were ready to go home)

You should have set hours, and a set pay as well, as well as rules- if the child is sick, you have to have limitations on waht your allowing to bring into your home. You also should make sure that the children are up to date on their shots and dr. visits, to insure they aren't contagious and bringing sickness to the other children.

My mom wouldn't allow any treats to be brought into the home unless there was enough to share with everyone, and the same with toys. They would fight over them- a lot!

She had a big toy room FULL of toys for the kids to play with all day, along with outside toys on our deck.

There are a lot of things you have to watch out for- anymore info, let me know!
post #14 of 22
Just another thought: Your daughter goes to school, doesn't she? Do they have a newsletter, or some other sort of document that regularly goes home to the parents that you could put a little ad or article in (if it's allowed)? I know you said you're putting an ad in the paper, but I think I'd be a little more likely to respond to someone whose child goes to my school, regardless of whether or not I knew them, just because it seems like we'd have a connection somehow. Though maybe I'm just crazy! Plus, they'll likely live in your area, so your location would be ideal for them.

Also, (don't really know how big the town/city you live in is, so this might all be irrelevant) we have neighbourhood newspapers that are distributed free every month. Could you put an ad in them, too? Again, it's an easy (and probably inexpensive) way to get in touch with people who are in your area and therefore more likely to use your services.

Of course, if you live in a smaller town, then your local newspaper will probably do you just fine!
post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel View Post
Just another thought: Your daughter goes to school, doesn't she? Do they have a newsletter, or some other sort of document that regularly goes home to the parents that you could put a little ad or article in (if it's allowed)? I know you said you're putting an ad in the paper, but I think I'd be a little more likely to respond to someone whose child goes to my school, regardless of whether or not I knew them, just because it seems like we'd have a connection somehow. Though maybe I'm just crazy! Plus, they'll likely live in your area, so your location would be ideal for them.

Also, (don't really know how big the town/city you live in is, so this might all be irrelevant) we have neighbourhood newspapers that are distributed free every month. Could you put an ad in them, too? Again, it's an easy (and probably inexpensive) way to get in touch with people who are in your area and therefore more likely to use your services.

Of course, if you live in a smaller town, then your local newspaper will probably do you just fine!

lol. Yeah our town is very small. 4000 people in our county. (just a guess but probably close)

We have a weekly newspaper that comes out on Wednesdays. And we have a smaller version of the classifieds that comes out Mondays. My ad will be in both. And no, the school does not offer any advertisements like that. Oh and we have only one Early Childhood school here. Unless they pay extra for them to go to the private Christian school. So it's very likely that anyone that responds to my ad in the paper goes to Sierras school; or will in a year or two.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild View Post
Transportation will not be provided...
I meant a small walk, for fresh air and exercise (also gets the kids acquainted with the neighborhood, they see new things, etc.). But I know some places are not walk-friendly.

Driving is a whole 'nother can of worms; I don't know the requirements where you live, but here you need written permission and and a minimum of $1M liability insurance.
post #17 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampWitch View Post
I meant a small walk, for fresh air and exercise (also gets the kids acquainted with the neighborhood, they see new things, etc.). But I know some places are not walk-friendly.

Driving is a whole 'nother can of worms; I don't know the requirements where you live, but here you need written permission and and a minimum of $1M liability insurance.
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable walking with that many kids either.
post #18 of 22
ok im gonna be the devils advocate here.
As a parent and its getting to be summer time. I want my kids to be able to get out and not kept in the house all day. I know you have stated about the sun and giving you a head ache but im not sure if this has been all thought out. Parents are gonna want to know about a schedule. Like others have said. I know there are some regulations you might need to have. The kids will get stir crazy if there isnt much to do.
Im not saying you shouldnt do this but I would have everything thought out before putting in the ad.
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by april31 View Post
ok im gonna be the devils advocate here.
As a parent and its getting to be summer time. I want my kids to be able to get out and not kept in the house all day. I know you have stated about the sun and giving you a head ache but im not sure if this has been all thought out. Parents are gonna want to know about a schedule. Like others have said. I know there are some regulations you might need to have. The kids will get stir crazy if there isnt much to do.
Im not saying you shouldnt do this but I would have everything thought out before putting in the ad.

Who said they'd be cooped up in the house all day with nothing to do? I did say they can go outside in around 10am and again in the evening. I just want to avoid the mid day sun which can get up to 100+ degrees here. I'm not worried so much about me getting a headache. I am worried about them getting too hot and/or getting a sun burn. Please understand that I do have a schedule working in my head. No I haven't written it down because I'm not certain what times the parents will need me. But I do have a basic idea I will follow.

But I certainly do not have a way to take them to the park nor am I going to parade 3 children down the street. I have a big yard, lots of toys and lots of idea's for projects. I'm sure I can keep them busy and happily entertained.
post #20 of 22
So? How did it go? Did you see your ad in the paper? I guess it's probably too soon to expect people to respond, but I'm always impatient about things like this.
post #21 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekoe & Nigel View Post
So? How did it go? Did you see your ad in the paper? I guess it's probably too soon to expect people to respond, but I'm always impatient about things like this.

I had one call today but it was from a message I left last week. I was actually wrong about when it ran. I was too late to get the ad in todays adviser. So it will be Wednesday before it runs. And then it will be in the adviser next Monday.
post #22 of 22
Sorry I'm late responding, I just saw this thread
I'm a SAHM with three kids of my own. I also watch my DH boss' 2 sons 5 days a week year round. I may also be watching my ex-sister in laws new baby for the Summer starting in June...I know.. it's a lot of kids right!
I think that the most important thing when caring for other people's children is that you get along well with the parents and children. You figure that these kids are going to be at your house an average of 8-10 hours a day..they will be a major part of your life. If the child(ren) annoy you from the beginning, it's probably not a good match
I worked in a childcare center for several years before deciding to stay home with my daughter (the best choice that I ever made!) but money was tight and I was offered a job sitting for a friend...I just keep aquiring kids
I've been watching the two boys for about a year and a half now and they are like family. The younger boy is only a few months older than my 2 year old son and the older boy is about a year younger than my daughter...they fight like siblings and love to be together...It's worked out really well.
We spend time doing art related activities about 2x a week and spend an hour or two outside playing daily (unless it's pouring) We go to the park when the weather cooperates and the zoo occasionally. We all go shopping together and I get alot of stares and people asking "are they all yours?"
I don't do alot of structured activities but I inccorporate learning into everything that we do during the day (ie. we count our crackers,cookies, grapes ect. Sing songs while changing diapers or driving in car. Teach colors by example ("would you like the GREEN truck?") )
It's a lot of work but is also very rewarding! I hope that you find the family that's a perfect match for you. Any ?'s PM me..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Going to start babysitting.. ANY sitters here?