TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › The Stupid Vets Office Doesn't Even Have a Clue! They told me to jsut feed Purina!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Stupid Vets Office Doesn't Even Have a Clue! They told me to jsut feed Purina! - Page 2

post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperbates View Post
I agree, the vets don't seem to know a thing about food. I feed my cats premium food (California Natural & Wyson dry). I asked the vet about them & she said she's never heard of them! Needless to say I was really surprised. I talked to the owner's of the pet store I go to (they sell only premium brands & know a lot about nutrition) They said vets only take 1 course in nutrtion in school. don't know if this is true or not.

Again , like your 'people' doc, there is no way they can specialize in every aspect. That is what specialists are for.

And it's not across the board either. Some vets take a special interest in nutrition; some are less in tune with thinking outside the box. Same with a pediatrician or family practitioner.

When I go to the vets', sure I'd love them to know EVERYTHING. But most importantly, I want their diagnostic skills TOP NOTCH. I want a vet that knows what to look for and how to treat a condition, and has compassion and empathy for us and with our pets.

If they aren't as up with latest foods, I can forgive that; but I would expect a good vet to research it if a 'case' warranted it, and not just toss me the textbook answer, but instead LISTEN to my concerns and work with me.
post #32 of 42
Well, vets are basically trained in veterinary surgery and internal medicine. They are NOT trained in behvior or nutrition (unless they go out and do that research on their own like we have, without the help of Hill's, Waltham or Purina). ..

I can't completely blame them. But at the same time, they HAVE to know that people rely on them for al pet-related information. You'd think they'd have the best interest of the animals at heart and would continue their education, the way human doctors are required to do?
post #33 of 42
I guess the reason I won't discuss much detail in regards to what I feed my cats is because the last thing I need is a vet who does not know much about animal nutrition telling me not to feed a homemade raw meat recipe and getting bossy about it and even telling me I'm doing a bad thing. I'm afraid of this. I feel it should me me and not them authorizing how I feed my cats. Of course I will make an exception if a medical issue comes up requiring a different kind of diet.
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
I'll put it this way..i will not be feeding ANY more products made by Purina or ANY other company with any affiliations to any recalls again. I am going strictly on a balanced,safe home cooked diet for my animals. Their health and safety are too important to me to chance to a company, such as Purina that i can not trust or get good facts from. I will not risk my animals health to go for the cheaper product. I am also switching too because the ingredients in Purina are not the best things for them to be eating. Too many fillers in them and not enough meats and nutrients. I will be making everything from now on- at least now i will not have to worry about if their food is going to get recalled tomorrow or send them into renal failure ya know! That's why i will no longer trust Purina or just about any other pet food company for that matter. We also have 2 dogs and a wolf mix. (the wolf mix lives with my mom and the 2 dogs with us) they were not fed alpo in the first place (aweful ingredients!) but i am also watching dog food issues as well with them- i will not chance the health of any of my beloved animals with companies that i simply do not trust. Also- signs for renal failure do not necessarily happen all at once- it can happen over time- so while some foods may "seem to be safe" because they haven't caused any problems YET....yet is the key word to remember...it's best not to chance it.
Good for you! I am looking at getting some trial size bags of Orijen since a lot of people would either like to get it or already have. That way I won't feel bad about spending a lot of money if they DON'T like it. Am now in the process of trying to find a good wet food with no grain.
post #35 of 42
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the input and kind words everyone / I will look into seeing if there are any holisitic vets in our area, and if so i will consult them as far as nutrition and home cooking is concerned. I still want my regular vets to be on the same page as me (it was not my regular vets who i called the other day- they were out and the other vets i do not like were in- my regular vets would have NEVER done that...i also use several different vet clinics....one for my rabbit, one for my dogs (and sometimes my kitties- they also treat our shelter animals- they're the ones i called yesterday), and another one - my favorite, for my cats normally (since i work at a shelter- i go all over the city, so i'm good friends with many of the vets around here- that's why i was soo suprised yesterday when the ones i'm not used to just cut me off and told me to give them purina without even listening or researching! gurr!) I will definitely be picking up that book about home cooking as suggested and guess what - last night my mom gave me her old food processor that she hasn't used in about 20 years So that's one major expense i don't have to worry about right nowI also think that home cooking will be much better for Kojak (my little sick guy who has chronic herepes outbreaks) and for my extremly overweight kitty, Jasmine (we adopted her that way) so hopefully home cooking will really benifit all of them
post #36 of 42
I will agree to disagree here. I understand your concern, but blowing it this far out of proportion is a little ridiculous in my opinion. Purnina is one of the SAFEST foods out there. Don't get me wrong I would be concerned about my animals too, but not with Purina since they make there own foods at a COMPLETLY different plant then menu foods. And the only recalled product is ALPO. So I think this is being completly blown out of proportion!
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybass0711 View Post
I will agree to disagree here. I understand your concern, but blowing it this far out of proportion is a little ridiculous in my opinion. Purnina is one of the SAFEST foods out there. Don't get me wrong I would be concerned about my animals too, but not with Purina since they make there own foods at a COMPLETLY different plant then menu foods. And the only recalled product is ALPO. So I think this is being completly blown out of proportion!

THE RECENT recall NOW encompasses far more than ONE MENU plant ... Oh and read Purinas cans they no longer SAY WHERE they ARE MADE ... and since they are now building a plant in CHINA I wouldnt take any kind of chance
post #38 of 42
i hate that vets are all about money and don't actually learn about nutrition. . . .that's a real sore spot with me.

sharky - you are really lucky you have a holistic vet......there aren't really any here in maine....
post #39 of 42
I disagree that vets just think about money, I trust my vet 100%. I'm sorry there are those of you that don't have this relationship. My vet has never pushed any certain brand of food onto me. I researched several products, see what my cats like, and go from there. So far we have been lucky and have not had our particular brand recalled.
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybass0711 View Post
I will agree to disagree here. I understand your concern, but blowing it this far out of proportion is a little ridiculous in my opinion. Purnina is one of the SAFEST foods out there. Don't get me wrong I would be concerned about my animals too, but not with Purina since they make there own foods at a COMPLETLY different plant then menu foods. And the only recalled product is ALPO. So I think this is being completly blown out of proportion!
Purina has been safe so far as we know. Like I mentioned earlier, our cats have been eating it for years without any problems. However, have you ever read what ingredients are in purina? I didn't know much about cat nutrition and how important it was until coming on here. There are so many by-products etc..I was horrified. My intent was switching to a better quality food before this recall, however, due to the recent recall my options have been limited.
The way I look at it is 1) I can continue to feed purina which is a lower quality food and hope that nothing goes wrong, 2) switch to a better quality food without grains meaning they would eat less because they would actually absorbed and use those ingredients and be healthier in general. This recall has only enforced the decision I have made a couple of months ago.
It is a shame that some vets do not know as much nutritionally. I can honestly say that is one topic I have never discussed with my vet so I don't know what his views are. I do know that they promote science diet, but our cats won't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole.
The way I see it is that I may pay a bit more for better food, but it will benefit them in so many ways and I will have the peace of mind of not to have to question each time I feed them something if that could potentially hurt them.
All I know at this point is that I'm tired of thinking that everything is ok and that it was one ingredient when now it's more than one. Their health and happiness is my sole goal. Until I can find something else they will switch to, I will stick with purina only because they are ok at this point. I don't think that some people are blowing it out of proportion. There are some people who have no clue whatsoever. I think it's up to each individual person and how much they value their pets. I think being cautious is better than taking a risk on the pets they love and only they can decide what is right for them.
post #41 of 42
i agree with you. I got the same reply only after making a number of phone calls. I cant stand corperations, they spend more money on advertising than research, they dont care about our little kids. there more concerned with there bottom line. they tell us lies, and i have recived more coupons for friskeys (McDonalds) if you will, then ever before. what really bugs me is that the CEO of menu foods sold a fair precentage of his stock before the s#%* hit the fan. where is the justice in that, people get rich and keep there profit while some people become heartbroken spending the few dollars they work so hard for to save there little best friends life. anyway we swiched our diet to merick a smaller business. where quality control seems to be #1 (I hope)
post #42 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybass0711 View Post
I will agree to disagree here. I understand your concern, but blowing it this far out of proportion is a little ridiculous in my opinion. Purnina is one of the SAFEST foods out there. Don't get me wrong I would be concerned about my animals too, but not with Purina since they make there own foods at a COMPLETLY different plant then menu foods. And the only recalled product is ALPO. So I think this is being completly blown out of proportion!
I will have to disagree with you on that note. It has certainly not been blown out of the water. Purina can not be considered one of the safest foods out there right now- please read up a bit before you defend purina(i say that kindly). The ingredients are not good quality, they are mingled up in the recalls, and it certainly affectes more than one plant. i'm sure you love your animals as much as the rest of us, and take good care of them- that's is why i would encourage you kindly to read the ingredients in the purina you're using- research, and then come to a conclusion about what you feed them. There are many better options out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
THE RECENT recall NOW encompasses far more than ONE MENU plant ... Oh and read Purinas cans they no longer SAY WHERE they ARE MADE ... and since they are now building a plant in CHINA I wouldnt take any kind of chance
Very well spoken This is exactly why i can no longer trust nor will i choose to feed Purina (that and the ingredients used in their products!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
Purina has been safe so far as we know. Like I mentioned earlier, our cats have been eating it for years without any problems. However, have you ever read what ingredients are in purina? I didn't know much about cat nutrition and how important it was until coming on here. There are so many by-products etc..I was horrified. My intent was switching to a better quality food before this recall, however, due to the recent recall my options have been limited.
The way I look at it is 1) I can continue to feed purina which is a lower quality food and hope that nothing goes wrong, 2) switch to a better quality food without grains meaning they would eat less because they would actually absorbed and use those ingredients and be healthier in general. This recall has only enforced the decision I have made a couple of months ago.
It is a shame that some vets do not know as much nutritionally. I can honestly say that is one topic I have never discussed with my vet so I don't know what his views are. I do know that they promote science diet, but our cats won't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole.
The way I see it is that I may pay a bit more for better food, but it will benefit them in so many ways and I will have the peace of mind of not to have to question each time I feed them something if that could potentially hurt them.
All I know at this point is that I'm tired of thinking that everything is ok and that it was one ingredient when now it's more than one. Their health and happiness is my sole goal. Until I can find something else they will switch to, I will stick with purina only because they are ok at this point. I don't think that some people are blowing it out of proportion. There are some people who have no clue whatsoever. I think it's up to each individual person and how much they value their pets. I think being cautious is better than taking a risk on the pets they love and only they can decide what is right for them.
Once again- very well spoken
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › The Stupid Vets Office Doesn't Even Have a Clue! They told me to jsut feed Purina!