Any good Lo-Calorie treats out there?

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cat loves treats and we're concerned that he might gain weight if we keep giving him the treats that we do now. Are there any cat treats that are lower in fat and calories?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my cats have always enjoyed ANY dry food that can't be found laying around in a bowl....meaning I keep a bag of dry food for "treats" only. The pieces would be small, and healthier than most regular treats.

You can also make him work for treats. They have toys designed for that. I think you call it a "treat ball". Put some treats in it, then they have to play with it to get the treats to come out.

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I also use dry food for treats. she gets a handful before bed and after playtime. I also hide pieces around the master suite for her to hunt down during the night. If i try to pass she gives us a little whine and walks to the closet where I keep the jar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, I've never thought about just getting another type of Lite dry food to give him as treats. Interesting idea. He seems to like just about everything. I also googled low calorie cat food and saw that Pet Smart sells treats called "Puffs and Purrs" which is a low cal treat. I'll keep checking back since you all have had cats for much longer than me I'm sure and have lots of good ideas. Thanks.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another way to help him get a little exercise with his treats is to try tossing them for him to chase down. Swanie loves that game, and I also am one who uses dry food as his treat. The problem I'm having now is to find a dry food that is suitable for "treats" that he will actually eat. By suitable I mean no corn, rice, or wheat gluten, and no garlic (at a minimum). I'm running out of options. I'll be checking this thread as well to see if anyone has any ideas I haven't already thought of

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by peeps

Our cat loves treats and we're concerned that he might gain weight if we keep giving him the treats that we do now. Are there any cat treats that are lower in fat and calories?
One of my cats (Persi) considers low fat plain yogurt quite the treat!