TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My pinky finger is messed up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My pinky finger is messed up

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 
I think it's sprained or jammed to be precise! Fosters and I were playing earlier when he accidently bent my pinky finger on my right hand 1/2 way back it hurts like all get out!!!! I'm going to soak it in some warm water in a little while to see if it helps. I REALLY don't need a messed up finger right now
post #2 of 24
Eek! Hope it feels better soon! Is it swollen?
post #3 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
Eek! Hope it feels better soon! Is it swollen?
oh yeah, it's starting to swell up big time. it is really sore! it's definitely not a break (thankfully! haha i know what those feel like unfortunately- can you tell i've broken fingers before) but it's definitely sprained or jammed- it's hurting really bad.
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
oh yeah, it's starting to swell up big time. it is really sore! it's definitely not a break (thankfully! haha i know what those feel like unfortunately- can you tell i've broken fingers before) but it's definitely sprained or jammed- it's hurting really bad.
I've jammed just about every one of my fingers in high school - I was in volleyball - the setter - so unfortunately that comes with it! So I feel your pain! It sounds like a sprain moreso than a jam tho- since you bent it all the way back
It makes me hurt just thinking about it!
post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyharley View Post
I've jammed just about every one of my fingers in high school - I was in volleyball - the setter - so unfortunately that comes with it! So I feel your pain! It sounds like a sprain moreso than a jam tho- since you bent it all the way back
It makes me hurt just thinking about it!
Ouch! I feel ya- i did just about every sport in high school - cheerleading and tumbling and dance were the WORST on my fingers- i have broken/ sprianed/ or jammed every single finger at least once This is starting to feel like a sprain- not a jam. (some sprains hurt worse than breaks so that's just super) It's really starting to swell- i can't bend it well at all. I'm hoping it goes down soon. It's really hard to type on the pc so i can post on TCS with it like this
post #6 of 24
OUCH!! That is painful..You may try to tape it to your next finger with a bandaid for a short time to keep you from using it..The pain may subside sooner that way...
post #7 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsRNmom View Post
OUCH!! That is painful..You may try to tape it to your next finger with a bandaid for a short time to keep you from using it..The pain may subside sooner that way...
Thankyou for the tip!!! I'm going to soak it in some warm water in a bit so after that i will tape them together to see if it helps!!! Thanks!!! I need to do something! It hurts really bad....geesh! Who knew pinky fingers could be soo painful!
post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Thankyou for the tip!!! I'm going to soak it in some warm water in a bit so after that i will tape them together to see if it helps!!! Thanks!!! I need to do something! It hurts really bad....geesh! Who knew pinky fingers could be soo painful!

You may also want to use ice first since it is swelling. Sometimes the swelling hurts more than the injury. Also start taking Advil (ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxin) to help to relieve the pain and swelling..Just suggestions.
post #9 of 24
I am sorry you hurt yourself. I do know that heat is the worse thing you can do. IT may make it feel better but it will NOT help with the swelling. Ice it. I found a few links for you that will help you with treating it.

Link 1

http://www.ehow.com/how_3369_treat-jammed-finger.html

Link 2

http://www.mcgill.ca/studenthealth/i...ealth/sprains/

Link 3

http://health.yahoo.com/topic/emerge...lthwise/aa1232

Link 4

http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/displa...raph.php?MID=7

They all say about the same thing. Ice every 20 min. or so. Tape it so it stays imobal. Ibuprophin for swelling. I hope one of these works for you. Take care of that finger.

Sending {{{vibes}}} to get better.
post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsRNmom View Post
You may also want to use ice first since it is swelling. Sometimes the swelling hurts more than the injury. Also start taking Advil (ibuprofen) or Aleve (naproxin) to help to relieve the pain and swelling..Just suggestions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmasMom View Post
I am sorry you hurt yourself. I do know that heat is the worse thing you can do. IT may make it feel better but it will NOT help with the swelling. Ice it. I found a few links for you that will help you with treating it.

Link 1

http://www.ehow.com/how_3369_treat-jammed-finger.html

Link 2

http://www.mcgill.ca/studenthealth/i...ealth/sprains/

Link 3

http://health.yahoo.com/topic/emerge...lthwise/aa1232

Link 4

http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/displa...raph.php?MID=7

They all say about the same thing. Ice every 20 min. or so. Tape it so it stays imobal. Ibuprophin for swelling. I hope one of these works for you. Take care of that finger.

Sending {{{vibes}}} to get better.
Thanks ladies! Glad ya'll said something about ice before i went and soaked it! Thankyou for the links too!! I took some Aleve a minute ago soi 'm hoping it kicks in soon! This little finger hurts sooooooo bad! Fosters did a number on it!
post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 
It's definitely sprained I can see a lovely little bruise starting to pop up Those links were really helpfull though, especially the first one with the little video, so i'm going to follow those instructions and hope it heals soon. Just to note- the aleve has not kicked in yet
post #12 of 24
Maybe you need liquid painkiller aka alcohol???? Do you have popsicle sticks that you can tape you finger to?? Never mind that might make it worse. What I always have on hand is Vetrap-which I by at a store that sells farm supplies-its stretchy like an ace bandage but stick to itself (comes in lots of colors) That would work get for some support. BTW don't ice for more than 20 minutes at a time.
post #13 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Maybe you need liquid painkiller aka alcohol???? Do you have popsicle sticks that you can tape you finger to?? Never mind that might make it worse. What I always have on hand is Vetrap-which I by at a store that sells farm supplies-its stretchy like an ace bandage but stick to itself (comes in lots of colors) That would work get for some support. BTW don't ice for more than 20 minutes at a time.
hummmm.... now that you mention it....i do have some delightful liquid painkillers hiding in my refridgerator! i actually do have a ton of Vetrap hanging around the house so i'll use that to wrap it with!!! Thankyou for the suggestion! Who knew a pinky could hurt soo much! This little thing is killin me!
post #14 of 24
I'm sorry! I know how that hurts! I hope it is better soon!
post #15 of 24
Ouch! I hope your finger feels better soon! I've never bent it back that far, but I have gotten my finger caught in the door a couple of times....
post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 
thanks guys! i just wrapped it up so i'm hoping that helps. haha now i'm having a hard time typing! i told fosters that next time he wants to sprain mommy's finger he needs to get the left hand since i don't write with that one he just had a confused look on his face and gave me doggie kissies
post #17 of 24
Ack! I hope it gets better soon..It could just be sore..maybe tomorrow it will be better
post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Ack! I hope it gets better soon..It could just be sore..maybe tomorrow it will be better
thanks natalie it's DEFINITELY messed up now - i looked under the bandage a minute ago to see even more bruising- Nice! So i think it's definitely sprained or something. I'm hoping it gets better before tomorrow because on Sundays, i clean/feed/medicate the entire shelter shelter by myself-it will be hard to do with my hand hurting. lol, last time I dance around the house like an idiot playing with Fosters
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Well today the whole thing is swollen and bruised so i guess that's not good. I went out and got a splint for it- the taping it to my other finger idea just wasn't working!
post #20 of 24
Do you think its broken??? Not much a doc can do anyhow -just splint it.
Are you still icing it??
post #21 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Do you think its broken??? Not much a doc can do anyhow -just splint it.
Are you still icing it??
no, i don't think it's broken. i've broken several fingers before so i definitely know how that feels vs. a sprain- i think it's just badly sprained. (some sprains can hurt worse than a break though so i think that's what's happened) i mean he bent it ALL the way back! I put it in a splint- it is much better having it in a splint vs. tapped with my other finger! The wrap i had around it was making my skin itch like crazy And i'm doing like you suggested and icing it So hopefully it will be better soon! It sure makes it hard to work/type/wash my hair and all with it like this but at least it's a pink finger and not an index or thumb (i've hurt them all at one point in time so the pinky is the lesser of the evil) Today Fosters and I spend 30 minutes working on "Down" "stay" and "no jump" commands Bless his heart!!!
post #22 of 24
ack! poor you...sending healing vibes your way. hope it gets better soon.
post #23 of 24
Ouch! Hope it's better very soon!
post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 
thanks guys! i just got back from the shelter a minute ago (i go on sunday nights to rewater everyone and give meds for about an hour) and ALL of the sweet pups were trying to figure out what kind of contraption was on my hand and see if it tasted good They kept trying to eat the splint The little weirdos also LOVE to chew up laytex gloves too- i'm still not sure what the attraction is with gloves and dogs Today though my splint was a big hit with them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › My pinky finger is messed up