snacking at night

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I have a problem. I get up at least once a night to make a peanut butter sandwhich or some other snack. Most commonly a peanut butter sandwhich though. I eat like normal all day. Three meals and usually a snack.

I barely remember when I get up and eat. Does anyone else have a similar problem?

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you completely aware of what you're doing when you do it? I've seen alot of things about "Sleep Eating", which is basically just another sleep disoder. But you sound different in that you remember it atleast alittle bit.

Is it causing any problems, like gaining weight, or interrupting your sleep, or is it just a curious thing that you have? Not that there is anything wrong with a PB&J at 3am

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont think that I am gaining weight. It just annoys me.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mother used to do "sleep eating," too (she still might, I don't know). She would talk to you like she was awake, but remembered nothing the next day.

She always went for the Blue Bell coffee ice cream, and couldn't understand why she was putting on weight.

Are you under more stress now than usual?

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont think I am under any more stress than usual (cept for today, its been H*ll)

I half remember it. Like I dont realize what I am doing but, I know I did it the next morning.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe I am lacking protein.

I am almost vegan. I barely consume dairy and never eggs. Hmmm??

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bf's mother is a night-snacker. She'll even cook full meals. The worst thing to do is to wake her up. She hates it though, because she can't control it, especially when she's stressed out. She's considering going to a sleep clinic to see if they can help her.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you might be craving the protein in the peanut butter! Good thought!

I've never sleep-eaten, but I've sleep-computed, and it was just as you describe -- I was almost in a dream-state at the time, but I remembered doing it the next day.

The bizarre thing for me was that I remembered exactly what I had written on my computer the night before... but when I opened the file and read it, it bore absolutely no resemblance to what I remembered writing.

So... are you sure it's peanut butter you're having?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm impressed that you can manage to get the jar open, find a knife and actually are coordinated enough to spread the peanut butter on the bread in the middle of the night! Normally, its a challange for me to even open the cupboard. Maybe you ARE lacking in protein...what would you take for that, Amino Acid? I have no idea, but you may want to see if there is a suppliment or something you can take. You can't be getting a good nights sleep.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeap! I do it too!
I am totally aware of what I'm doing when I do it. I just wake up and have a craving that will NOT go away until I get it.. mainly chocolate

I'm known for eating Mounds Bars in the middle of the night.

dont_eat_bambi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm impressed that you can manage to get the jar open, find a knife and actually are coordinated enough to spread the peanut butter on the bread in the middle of the night! Normally, its a challange for me to even open the cupboard. Maybe you ARE lacking in protein...what would you take for that, Amino Acid? I have no idea, but you may want to see if there is a suppliment or something you can take. You can't be getting a good nights sleep.
I never really do anymore.