Grey Kitty, the best barncat ever

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My SIL just called to tell me they found Grey Kitty. She disappeared about a week ago, and while it isn't unusual for one of their cats to go missing for a day or two and then reappear, I felt in my heart she was gone. The found her up above in the barn, lying in the hay. We don't know what happened.

I took her to a TNR clinic as a young adult probably eleven years ago. She turned out to be very sweet and would always come to get petted whenever I visited them. When she was little their black lab would carry her around, and throughout her life she liked to lay on top of him to sleep. In the evening when my brother and SIL walked out in the pasture, Grey Kitty would always follow.

There are coyotes at their place and I was worried they'd gotten her, so finding her at least gives me some closure. Although they always called her Grey Kitty, she was actually a grey/white tabby with some grey/black tiny spots. She was a tiny girl, probably 7 pounds at most.

I always remember thinking how strange it was that my pampered cats can have the nastiest temperments, while this little stray barncat turned out to be so sweet. I tried to remember a few cans of soft food for her when I went to their home for holidays, and I brought her in the house with me a couple of times. Other than that, she lived outside. She slept in the barn, got dry food once a day and hunted in the pastures. For a cat, maybe that's not such a bad life.

My SIL buried her and planted a flower over her grave, although I think that might have been for my benefit. She knew how fond I was of her.

Anyway, I just wanted to acknowledge her passing and say goodbye. RIP little girl.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rest in peace gray kitty,
The life for a brancat can be hard, but not when they are taken of.
It sounds to me like gray kitty had a good life, and was loved.

I spent alot of time on a farm, there was always barn cats, My uncle alway kept a warm room for them in the winter, always put out food. Like you said about gray kitty,
the cats would follow him around the farm, how he worked.
It was funny to see this farmer with 2 dogs,and always 3-5 cat running behind him.

i agree, for cat it does not sound like a such a bad life at all

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cinder, how wonderful of you to post this tribute to this barn kitty. She obviously touched your soul.

Sounds like Grey Kitty had a good life....11 years is really old for an outdoor kitty.

Happy hunting at the RB Grey Kitty.

Hugs to you Cinder for the loss of this kitty that found a place in your heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cinder

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

Like you said about gray kitty, the cats would follow him around the farm, how he worked.
It was funny to see this farmer with 2 dogs,and always 3-5 cat running behind him.
That's exactly how it was at their house. My brother's dogs, Baron and Shadow, and Grey Kitty following behind, almost like a parade.

Thank you kittiemonsters. I'll missing sneaking out the back door at Thanksgiving to feed her turkey scraps.

I just reread my post, and I guess I should add that Grey Kitty was the young adult...not me!
I took 5 cats to the TNR from their farm all about that same time. With Grey Kittys passing, only 2 are left. SIL and I talked, and she said it might be okay now to get a couple more. I'm taking one of my guys in for bloodwork tomorrow, so I'll check at the clinic and see if there's any ferals they can't place. Maybe something good can come from our loss.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about Grey Kitty, I am sending you some hugs from Mississippi. I know she is over at the Bridge playing now with all the other kitties that have gone there.

Rip Grey Kitty

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds like such a wonderful barn kitty. Sorry for the loss of her.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had barn kitties and they can live a much better life than most people expect. 11 years is a long time for a cat in that environment and I'm sure she had a great time hunting out in the fields. Here's hoping that she's catching a sunny ray and a lot of mice over the bridge. RIP little Gray one!

lovinmom828

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss I know Gray kitty will be missed and loved in your heart.
Hugs your way

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am sorry to hear about Sweet Grey Kitty, sounds like she passed quietly in her sleep and on a warm bed of hay

RIP Sweet Grey Kitty, now you will have clouds & soft mounds of grass to play on

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like she had a good life, and a peaceful passing. It's really nice to hear about people looking out for their barn kitties, I know a lot of them have much harder lives.

RIP little Grey Kitty.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like Grey Kitty was loved and had a wonderful life!

I hope she's happily chasing mice in her new barn over the bridge.

I'm sorry you don't know what happened - but I'm so glad there was closure, and that you came here to honor her memory.

to you.

RIP, Grey Kitty.

Laurie