TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › MIGRAINES! What do you do when they attack?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MIGRAINES! What do you do when they attack?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I was just wondering what others do, beside medication, when they get a migraine headache? I had a bad one last night, have been cursed with them for 16 years now. I have to turn all lights off and no music or tv, head wrap over my eyes, sometimes cold cloth on forehead, always have to sleep it away, and this is almost always on top of medication!
post #2 of 29
Take some excedrine migraine and take a nap if i'm home- i put my ear plugs in- noises really bother me when i get migraines. / if i'm at work- i take excedrine and really just try to get through the day- sometimes hot tea helps.
post #3 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Take some excedrine migraine and take a nap if i'm home- i put my ear plugs in- noises really bother me when i get migraines. / if i'm at work- i take excedrine and really just try to get through the day- sometimes hot tea helps.
If I even get up or move once it hits, I'm praying to the porcelain god . I get them in my stomach so bad , and I can smell everything, in a bad way!
post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
If I even get up or move once it hits, I'm praying to the porcelain god . I get them in my stomach so bad , and I can smell everything, in a bad way!
Your symptoms sound pretty bad. I think it might be a good idea for you to see a doctor about this. Also- start keeping a food journal- some foods have artificial sweetners and other things in them that can cause migraines or make them worse. Also- i have Vertigo and a begin cystic tumor on my brain (it's tiny and non-cancerous so far). Sometimes the tumor can cause headaches. When i take my vertigo medicine regurally though- i don't get bad headaches at all. Without it though- i get AWEFUL symptoms. / Also- check the medicantions you're currently taking if you are taking any- see what the side effects are. Hopefully you and your doctor will be able to narrow down the things that are causing your symptoms. Definitely see a neurologist or other doctor though. My doctors have helped SOOOOOO much with my Vertigo symptoms- i don't usually have symptoms unless i miss a dose of my medicine- hopefully your doctor will be able to help you Feel better hon- till you can get in to see a doctor- try taking naps (sometimes, when i get them really bad- sleeping is all i feel like doing.) I hope you get to feeling better soon
post #5 of 29
Advil (Ibupfrofen) always works best for me for headaches. I used to get brutal migraines on the birth control pill after 8 years of being on it. To the point I couldn't speak properly and had a numb arm and impaired vision. After going off it, I stopped getting them. Haven't really had one that bad since (though my dad gets them that bad every year and has obviously never been on the pill!). When I've had mini ones, I just take Advil and it goes away.
My dad has to lay down in a dark room for about 6 hours.

They are the worst. So scary and painful. Sorry to hear you suffer from them. I've also heard red wine and chocolate can bring them on. Not sure if this is true. Not true for me. For me it's hormonal and related to the pill and/or my period.
post #6 of 29
I only get migranes when I am extremely sleep deprived. I don't usually take anything, because we don't usually have anything. I just turn the lights out, and any sounds and try to sleep.


My aunt gets really bad migranes. She ends up in the ER at least once every other month or so because of them. They can't find anything wrong. She does have a strong medication that she takes, but if she doesn't take it before a certain time into the migrane, it won't work. As well as the Extra strength advil liqui gels every day to prevent the migranes.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Your symptoms sound pretty bad. I think it might be a good idea for you to see a doctor about this. Also- start keeping a food journal- some foods have artificial sweetners and other things in them that can cause migraines or make them worse. Also- i have Vertigo and a begin cystic tumor on my brain (it's tiny and non-cancerous so far). Sometimes the tumor can cause headaches. When i take my vertigo medicine regurally though- i don't get bad headaches at all. Without it though- i get AWEFUL symptoms. / Also- check the medicantions you're currently taking if you are taking any- see what the side effects are. Hopefully you and your doctor will be able to narrow down the things that are causing your symptoms. Definitely see a neurologist or other doctor though. My doctors have helped SOOOOOO much with my Vertigo symptoms- i don't usually have symptoms unless i miss a dose of my medicine- hopefully your doctor will be able to help you Feel better hon- till you can get in to see a doctor- try taking naps (sometimes, when i get them really bad- sleeping is all i feel like doing.) I hope you get to feeling better soon
Yeah, I get them bad! Had to go to the hospital once for a shot...........................It's been a while since I have seen a doctor about them, my family doctor new I had them but I haven't seen him in 5 years and I am sure there are new treatments...........at least I hope! They do run in my family, sure thats not a good sign.................
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheylink View Post
Yeah, I get them bad! Had to go to the hospital once for a shot...........................It's been a while since I have seen a doctor about them, my family doctor new I had them but I haven't seen him in 5 years and I am sure there are new treatments...........at least I hope! They do run in my family, sure thats not a good sign.................
A visit to a doctor is definitely in order It is better to take care of yourself now and take precautionary/prevenative measures to ensure your health than to let it go unattended to and let it get worse. I'm sure there are new options out on the market- and a good doctor should be able to lead you in the right direction I hope you get the help you need for your headaches- you should not have to suffer with them (definitely start a food journal and bring it in to your doctor appointment- see if anything you're eating is triggering your headaches- write down everything you eat and the times you eat and the times you get a headache- it could be dietary or medicinally related. Good luck!
post #9 of 29
I get migranes really bad and it runs in my family, they did do a cat skan and i seen that I have chronic sinusitus which I never had sinuses till last year, but they werent able to see anything besides the chronic sinusitus whihc is always there and well I hate the migranes, I usually have to take 4 advils even though the little bottle says to take 2, but 2 doesnt work at all. They did have me on some medicine and it didnt work at preventing them at all, i honestly had a little headache every day instead ! and it made me gain some weight so I went off of that! And well I am getting a headache right now but I think thats because I am tired but I am fighting to do school work...my mom was on my school computer ALL DAY ordering stuff of coarse well just from dell, and looked at other sites and didnt find any bedding she liked !!! And my brothers supposed to be calling soon and i am sooooooo TIRED !!! But I can tell the difference of a sinus headache and a migrane and honeslty the sinus headache leads to a migrane and it gets so bad sometimes I have it for a few days it really sux !
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom View Post
But I can tell the difference of a sinus headache and a migrane and honeslty the sinus headache leads to a migrane and it gets so bad sometimes I have it for a few days it really sux !
No kidding, there's a big difference in how they feel.

When I get one I generally wish my head would fall off. But, since that never happens...
I've given up on taking anything OTC, it does not help and usually just makes me more nauseous. Cold wash cloth, dark room, and sleep if I can before the pain starts. I usually have at least a half hour warning of feeling very odd and/visual disturbances.
post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudKittieMom View Post
I get migranes really bad and it runs in my family, they did do a cat skan and i seen that I have chronic sinusitus which I never had sinuses till last year, but they werent able to see anything besides the chronic sinusitus whihc is always there and well I hate the migranes, I usually have to take 4 advils even though the little bottle says to take 2, but 2 doesnt work at all. They did have me on some medicine and it didnt work at preventing them at all, i honestly had a little headache every day instead ! and it made me gain some weight so I went off of that! And well I am getting a headache right now but I think thats because I am tired but I am fighting to do school work...my mom was on my school computer ALL DAY ordering stuff of coarse well just from dell, and looked at other sites and didnt find any bedding she liked !!! And my brothers supposed to be calling soon and i am sooooooo TIRED !!! But I can tell the difference of a sinus headache and a migrane and honeslty the sinus headache leads to a migrane and it gets so bad sometimes I have it for a few days it really sux !
Totally agree with you there! I also suffer from allergies and sinus problems. I have a ultra sensitive sense of smell, think its all connected! The thing I hate is when I get the migraine in my stomach, sometimes only there but with all the side effects, lights, sound, movement....... I love the show House and there was an episode where he had a migraine, perfect example!
post #12 of 29
well i dont get them that much maybe 2 a year.
but normally i hunt for something to make me sleep, i go to bed, shut all the door and windows, hide the phone, and play some classical music, for some reason tht does not hurt. But the TV , rock, jazz, all make me fell like i want to throw up.
post #13 of 29
I had one last night. I took Tylenol PM and went to bed. This morning it was gone.
post #14 of 29
I don't get that many migraines, but they are not fun, to put it mildly. I only developed them in the past 10 yrs or so. Since I don't get more than 6 or so a year, the doctor suggested Excedrin Migraine. Take it at the first sign. I then have to go to sleep in a dark room. Usually I'll take one of my cats as a snuggle but shut the other out. He likes to jump up on the bed and walk over me...and that would cause too much pain.
post #15 of 29
i get horrible migraines i usually black out the window in my room turn the air conditioner on high make sure that there are absolutely no lights coming from anywhere and that there is no noise in the room (if i can i get everyone not to make noise in the rest of the house) smells bug me too no one can cook anything cause i will do the same thing ill be leaning over the side of the bed over the trash can.and i stay in there till it goes away (after i usually pass out) if that dont work my husband takes me to the e.r and i end up getting a shot that knocks me out
post #16 of 29
I have two prescriptions that I take. I also try and do a bit of meditation. I go to a quiet place and just try and relax my entire body - from my forward, moving down to my feet. I know it sounds dumb, but it does relax the body and the blood vessels, allowing more blood to flow into the brain!
post #17 of 29
The last 3 months I have been getting a migraine 8 days before my period. The first since is optical, then numbness, then the headache. It's only been the last 3 months that I get the headache. I take excedrin migraine & 3-4 advils. Then 8 hours later I take a sinus pill for the lingering headache. They started about 5-6 years ago. I mostly got them at work. I went to the ER once when my tongue went numb. The two times I saw the family doc he said my sinuses were a mess.

My cousin gets them really bad. She will spend days sleeping and not eating. There is a new pill out there that really seems to work wonders for her. Imitrex stopped working for her.

Talk to your doctor.
post #18 of 29
I have suffered with headaches all my life and get Migraines also. I haven't had one in a long time but I did what you do, took meds and laid down in a dark room with silence, no TV or radio. Till this day I still suffer with headaches, my doctor says it's stress but who knows. I keep plenty of Advil on hand. Hope your migraines stay away.
post #19 of 29
How are you feeling today? I hope you're doing better and can get in to see a doctor soon
post #20 of 29
I too suffer from these horrindous things, we call migraines!! I usually just try and rest, take some exedrin migraine and use a cool rag on my head.

Sometimes though, nothing helps!! (for me anyways)
post #21 of 29
I get them, but not nearly as bad as some of the others here do. Mine usually start as sinus headaches that blossom into a migrane. Once they become migranes, though, they can last 4-5 days. I react badly to most of the prescription migrane meds, so I usually take Excedrin migrane and an extra dose of caffiene...and try to time them so the bounce-back happens at a time when I can be at home and nonfunctional.
post #22 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2SalemIsis View Post
i get horrible migraines i usually black out the window in my room turn the air conditioner on high make sure that there are absolutely no lights coming from anywhere and that there is no noise in the room (if i can i get everyone not to make noise in the rest of the house) smells bug me too no one can cook anything cause i will do the same thing ill be leaning over the side of the bed over the trash can.and i stay in there till it goes away (after i usually pass out) if that dont work my husband takes me to the e.r and i end up getting a shot that knocks me out
Thats how I get them to, though I've only been to the ER once (thank god). There is nothing worse when its like that, right? Every sense is so intense
Usually takes a day for me to completely feel better, sucks!
post #23 of 29
Like most of the others here, I get the extreme sensitivity to light & sound with my migraines. When the aura starts (it's visual with me) I head for the feverfew capsules. I take 2 or 3 caps with either a Pepsi or a cup of strong coffee, then lie down in a dark room for a while. I'd say that works about 75% of the time. I also have a prescription I can take if I need it, but it makes me feel kind of dopey, so I don't like to use it very often. Excederin for migraines sometimes helps, too.
I'd have to say my migraines are brought on by stress rather than foods. I can feel a severe tightening in the back of my neck & know I'd better do something to relax or I'm in for it.
post #24 of 29
I usually have about two migraines a week. They start out with a visual aura and progress to nausea and a throbbing headache. Imitrex works wonders for me (I've tried all of the tryptans, and only Imitrex works.) Midrin used to work for a while, but quit working. My migraines can be triggered by red wine and some processed meats, so I'm smart enough to avoid those things. I haven't really pinpointed any other definite triggers. I'd really like to have a hysterectomy because I think my migraines are made worse by the oral contraceptive that I've been on for years and years. If I can't talk my gynocologist into a hyster...I need to talk to my family practice doctor about trying a beta blocker as a preventative. I know some people who have had very good results with the beta blocker Topamax.



Pookie & the girls
post #25 of 29
They are horrendous, aren't they? Migraines are hereditary - my mother gets them, I do and both of my children do. You have to learn what your triggers are and learn to avoid them. I haven't had a migraine in a long time as a result. The worst one I ever had lasted 2 months, and I was off work, subjected to daily tests at the hospital, brain scans, dye being ejected everywhere, a spinal tap, and so on. For me, the warning signal is the light show - if I can get some Tylenol into me within 5 to 10 minutes of the light show starting, I can usually deflect the migraine! Usually being the operative word - not always!

I carry Imitrex with me for them, but haven't had to use it in years. If they last several days, sometimes a shot of demerol at the doctor's office or hospital will help. But not always. The best way to combat them is to find out what your triggers are! For me it's flashing lights, whether through moving blinds, traffic lights, a ceiling fan with lights that is on, or a severe change in the atmospheric pressure.

Migraines are terrible to deal with, and those that have never had one cannot even imagine the pain that you go through. Noise, light, even moving your head causes unbelievable pain. I think childbirth was easier.

I find that if you are seeking medical help for them, it helps if you track them on a calendar - write down start time and end time on each date. That gives the physician an idea of the severity and frequency of attacks and makes them more amenable to helping you.
post #26 of 29
I've been getting migraine since puberty, but they're less severe and less frequent now than they used to be. I am not sound or smell sensitive at all, but lights, OMG, I can't stand it. There have been headaches where I've been praying for unconsciousness because the pain is bad enough to have me on the verge of passing out (and I don't mean falling asleep). I've tried imitrex and that sort of thing, but they're sort of a hit or miss for me and only work maybe a third of the time. Add to that the fact that they're expensive AND I have a history of having to take certain medications that are contra-indicated with them. So, I don't take them anymore. I have a running Tylenol 3 script, since my frequency is not as high as it used to be and the T3 is very affordable. I suppose eventually I'll develop enough of a tolerance and have to find something new or move up to something stronger, but for now one or two of those babies and a dark room for a long sleep works for me.

Once, I went to the ER and was told by an idiot of a doctor that when a migraine hits I should take 1 regular strength tylenol. 4 hrs later, if it's still there, I could take 2 regular strength tylenols. 4 hrs later, 1 xtra strength. etc...you get the point. I could have killed her.....if I could have moved. Also, she was asking me all these questions...um, I can't articulate answers and I WILL agree with whatever choice you give that will have the least follow up questions when I'm in that condition, so it was a complete waste.
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leli View Post
Once, I went to the ER and was told by an idiot of a doctor that when a migraine hits I should take 1 regular strength tylenol. 4 hrs later, if it's still there, I could take 2 regular strength tylenols. 4 hrs later, 1 xtra strength. etc...you get the point. I could have killed her.....if I could have moved. Also, she was asking me all these questions...um, I can't articulate answers and I WILL agree with whatever choice you give that will have the least follow up questions when I'm in that condition, so it was a complete waste.
Obviously someone who doesn't have migraines....................what about all the people you kill while your waiting for the aspirin to kick in?
post #28 of 29
I have had migraines since I was in elementary school. But they have lessened over the last few years. Generally, I will take a couple of Excedrine when the aura first starts and then get home ASAP to sleep in a dark room. It used to be that vomiting would help them. Not sure what triggers mine, but often it is right after a stressful time. Almost like the drop in stress causes them.

The scariest one happened when I was in my mid-teens where I thought I was having a stroke. My arm went numb, I had a hard time speaking. But it quickly went away and the headache came full force.
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto86 View Post
My aunt gets really bad migranes. She ends up in the ER at least once every other month or so because of them. They can't find anything wrong. She does have a strong medication that she takes, but if she doesn't take it before a certain time into the migrane, it won't work. As well as the Extra strength advil liqui gels every day to prevent the migranes.
Wow, do we have the same aunt? My auntie Laurel gets really, really bad migranes and she's been on nearly every medication and hardly anything works for her. But when she gets a migraine she takes her meds, and has this pillow that takes the strain out of your neck/head. Then she has ear plugs and a eye mask. That seems to work for her.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › MIGRAINES! What do you do when they attack?