TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What are you thankful for? I'm thankful for...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What are you thankful for? I'm thankful for...

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
A few days ago I posted about finding out that my ex-b.f. of two years, with whom I broke up not two months ago, has been seeing a "friend with benefits" for over a month, even though he's claimed to be heartbroken and pained. I've had on kid gloves trying to step carefully into a friendship, and it turned out he's been more than ok for quite some time! I was totally devastated, as I still care deeply about him and he's insisted on remaining friends. PLUS, he wasn't even the one who told me... I found out about her through a set of photos he posted on Flickr! He and his "friend" are hiking, hugging, snuggling, laying down, with lots of pictures of her from behind, if you know what I mean. I cried all day and all night, completely stunned by his insensitivity and inability to be upfront with me, and those pictures have been running through my head like a non-stop slideshow.

HOWEVER, once I got all the bawling out, and after hours of consulting with my incredible friends, I realize that I have so many things to be thankful for!

-I'm thankful that I know now exactly why I broke up with him, and I am now positive that he is not the one for me. I've had a difficult time putting into words why I ended our relationship, but now I have the right words!

-I'm thankful that I know now what I want (and DON'T want) in a partner.

-I'm thankful for all of my amazing friends without whom I never could have put myself back together so well and so quickly.

-I'm thankful that I have a place like TCS to share my experiences and get extra support! The replies I got from my previous post helped me tremedously.

I never thought I'd say this, I have to give some credit to Oprah. After seeing her show on "The Secret", it occurred to me that there is something to be learned from (and thankful for) everything, no matter how awful the situation. The feelings and thoughts you put out, positive or negative, will only come back to you tenfold. So f I keep dwelling on how hurt I am, all I'm going to receive in return is pity. And I don't want pity, I want to move on!

I won't claim I'm 100% over it, as I'm still trying to get that dumb slideshow out of my head! But I feel great, and strong, and soooo thankful.
post #2 of 13
I am thankful for the health and well being of me and my family. That is the MOST important thing when it comes down to it
post #3 of 13
I am thankful, as we approach the 7 year anniversary (2/28) of my daughter's attempted murder that she was NOT killed despite her attacker having slashed her throat and left her for dead.

I'm thankful for many, many, MANY other things, but as next week approaches, this one thought is at the top of my list.
post #4 of 13
I am thankful for:
-My wonderful bf! He is the best thing that ever happened to me!
-All of my precious furbabies, both past and present.
-That I'm healthy
-That I have a steady, secure job
-I have a nice place to live and a cottage to play
-My family
-TCS
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
I am thankful, as we approach the 7 year anniversary (2/28) of my daughter's attempted murder that she was NOT killed despite her attacker having slashed her throat and left her for dead.

I'm thankful for many, many, MANY other things, but as next week approaches, this one thought is at the top of my list.
Betsy, I still can't beleive your daughter went through that..what hell is wrong with people? I'm glad she made it through
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
I am thankful, as we approach the 7 year anniversary (2/28) of my daughter's attempted murder that she was NOT killed despite her attacker having slashed her throat and left her for dead.

I'm thankful for many, many, MANY other things, but as next week approaches, this one thought is at the top of my list.
Wow, I'm sorry you went through this. I'm glad your daughter is OK. Family really is the most important thing.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
I am thankful for the health and well being of me and my family. That is the MOST important thing when it comes down to it
I agree. When I look at everything in my life, that's what I'm most thankful for.

I won't say that the ex-b.f. thing isn't important to me, because it was several years of my life and heart imploding. But I WILL say I'm very grateful for my family's well-being, and being able to be strong for each other during truly difficult times (much more difficult than dumb boyfriend stuff!).
post #8 of 13
I am thankful...

...for my husband, daughter, kitties, and that they are all healthy.

...for my oldest sister, who raised me, played with me, kept me safe, and taught me when I was little (and when no one else cared).

...that I don't have to work at an outside job.

...that I live in a beautiful, peaceful, healing place.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouts mom View Post
Betsy, I still can't beleive your daughter went through that..what hell is wrong with people? I'm glad she made it through
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosyC View Post
Wow, I'm sorry you went through this. I'm glad your daughter is OK. Family really is the most important thing.
Thank you both.

It is 7 years, and she is approaching that date with anxiety, but with a good attitude as well. I love her so much, my one and only skinchild, and I am looking forward to seeing her continue to bloom. She has become a wonderful young woman and I am proud of her.
post #10 of 13
I'm thankful to have a roof over my head, a hot meal tonight, and friends and family that I love, despite their shortcomings (and my own).
post #11 of 13
I am thankfull for my health, yay for no colds or flu this season thus far.
I am thankfull for Pickle who is bringing me so much joy already and is only the size of my pinky finger.
I am thankfull for my Mom and Grandparents.
I am thankfull for Mikey who at times seems like the only man in my life I can count on, he always makes me happy and never makes me sad. Yeah sometimes i get mad when he does a #2 in his litter box while I am in the shower and I cant get out to clean it and the smell plus the humidity is killing me and I wish I had placed the litter box in a place other than the bathroom...so yeah
post #12 of 13
I am thankful for great friends here on TCS, my trooper of a husband whose been with me in the best and worst of times,(over and over) my cats (3 of whom have bloomed from feral and scared kitties to less afraid and loving companions), my health(or what's left of it! LOL!), my family and friends and a house that I can call my own.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosyC View Post
A few days ago I posted about finding out that my ex-b.f. of two years, with whom I broke up not two months ago, has been seeing a "friend with benefits" for over a month, even though he's claimed to be heartbroken and pained. I've had on kid gloves trying to step carefully into a friendship, and it turned out he's been more than ok for quite some time! I was totally devastated, as I still care deeply about him and he's insisted on remaining friends. PLUS, he wasn't even the one who told me... I found out about her through a set of photos he posted on Flickr! He and his "friend" are hiking, hugging, snuggling, laying down, with lots of pictures of her from behind, if you know what I mean. I cried all day and all night, completely stunned by his insensitivity and inability to be upfront with me, and those pictures have been running through my head like a non-stop slideshow.

HOWEVER, once I got all the bawling out, and after hours of consulting with my incredible friends, I realize that I have so many things to be thankful for!

-I'm thankful that I know now exactly why I broke up with him, and I am now positive that he is not the one for me. I've had a difficult time putting into words why I ended our relationship, but now I have the right words!

-I'm thankful that I know now what I want (and DON'T want) in a partner.

-I'm thankful for all of my amazing friends without whom I never could have put myself back together so well and so quickly.

-I'm thankful that I have a place like TCS to share my experiences and get extra support! The replies I got from my previous post helped me tremedously.

I never thought I'd say this, I have to give some credit to Oprah. After seeing her show on "The Secret", it occurred to me that there is something to be learned from (and thankful for) everything, no matter how awful the situation. The feelings and thoughts you put out, positive or negative, will only come back to you tenfold. So f I keep dwelling on how hurt I am, all I'm going to receive in return is pity. And I don't want pity, I want to move on!

I won't claim I'm 100% over it, as I'm still trying to get that dumb slideshow out of my head! But I feel great, and strong, and soooo thankful.

I know it's hard to get over things like that, but it seems like you're on the right track. You certainly have the right frame of mind.

I've been in a situation that was a bit similar a few years ago, when I broke up with my ex because he was in love with someone else. The really frustrating thing about it is that when he started to realize he was in love with her, I stood by him and did everything I could to help him through it. In my mind, there was no question that he would do the same for me.
Then when he worked things out with the other girl, he pretty much ignored me when it was time for me to deal with all of it, and I felt that my world was crashing down on me (and I didn't really have anyone to speak to).

Looking back at it, I'm thankful that:

- I know that I am very caring and not at all jealous. I'm sure someone else will appreciate it.

- I know that I can have my heart broken and survive.

- I know that I have the strength to forgive (I'm still friends with him, and his girlfriend)

- I know that I can make it on my own and be happy (I've been single for over two years, and things have never been better )

- I know that I wont settle again. I'm not desperate and I wont date the first man who comes along.

- I have gotten a bit closer to my family. Still not very close (I'm not sure if I want to get closer really) but I am soooooo thankful I have the best little nephew there is . I also have a niece who's still not very attached to me, but I love her still. She's such a character already!

- I have a lot of support at school to help me through all the work I have to do. And somehow I seem to manage to get good grades! (If I can keep it up, I think I'm a shoe in for grad school )

- My kitties love me despite my mood swings and despite the fact that I don't spend enough time at home.

- I have a great little apartment, enough money to buy the necessities and the occasional extra.

So there it is.
What more could a girl want?

(mmm... maybe a date? being single is nice, but I'd be willing to try something else now)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › What are you thankful for? I'm thankful for...