TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Are Ragdolls the only breed that...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are Ragdolls the only breed that...

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
...go completely limp?

Ferris seems to be quite loose-limbed. He doesn't lay down, he literally collapses where he stands, especially when I pet him. Ginger, on the other hand, lays down deliberately, placing her limbs just so. Ferris just goes limp, like he has rubber legs.

If I pick him up and put him on my lap, he seems to lose his legs right away, even if he jumps off a moment later. I still can't hold him in my arms for more than a few seconds, but I'm starting to think that if he was comfortable with being held, he'd go all limp then, too.

I'm starting to wonder if he has Ragdoll in his family history somewhere. Are there any other breeds that have that as a typical characteristic?
post #2 of 15
Mosi will go limp and floppy if you lift him up (he's a somali). I think it's just a characteristic of very relaxed cats. I had a dlh who was a bit like that too.
post #3 of 15
Hi Ginger's Mom,

The statement that Ragdolls go completely limp is somewhat an exaggeration. Each cat will have its own personality, some enjoy being held and will relax in our arms, very trusting. We do have some that don't enjoy being held as much, and would much rather snuggle up against you. Also, if one does have a Ragdoll, that does relax, it also doesn't mean that it will each time one picks him/her up. It isn't a guaranteed trait, but the Ragdoll in majority, should have a laid back temperament, very trusting with people and other animals, and many will say have the ability to go limp. I won't say that isn't true, just not true of every Ragdoll. It is best to let a breeder know what type of personality you are looking for, and let them choose the best kitten for you.
There are other breeds, as well as many moggies that will show Ragdoll traits, floppy, loving, it isn't just the Ragdoll.
It sounds like Ferris and Ginger are very loved. Do either of them enjoy sleeping belly up? Another Ragdoll trait, but other breeds and moggies do this as well.
Continuing trying to hold them for a few times each day and hold them a little longer each time, it may help them to realize that being held and cuddled with is a good thing. You could try giving a treat after each holding, so they have something to look forward to, as well. Just some suggestions you might find helpful.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilytimeRags View Post
Hi Ginger's Mom,

The statement that Ragdolls go completely limp is somewhat an exaggeration. Each cat will have its own personality, some enjoy being held and will relax in our arms, very trusting. We do have some that don't enjoy being held as much, and would much rather snuggle up against you. Also, if one does have a Ragdoll, that does relax, it also doesn't mean that it will each time one picks him/her up. It isn't a guaranteed trait, but the Ragdoll in majority, should have a laid back temperament, very trusting with people and other animals, and many will say have the ability to go limp. I won't say that isn't true, just not true of every Ragdoll. It is best to let a breeder know what type of personality you are looking for, and let them choose the best kitten for you.
There are other breeds, as well as many moggies that will show Ragdoll traits, floppy, loving, it isn't just the Ragdoll.
It sounds like Ferris and Ginger are very loved. Do either of them enjoy sleeping belly up? Another Ragdoll trait, but other breeds and moggies do this as well.
Continuing trying to hold them for a few times each day and hold them a little longer each time, it may help them to realize that being held and cuddled with is a good thing. You could try giving a treat after each holding, so they have something to look forward to, as well. Just some suggestions you might find helpful.
Ferris turns onto his back ALL the time when I'm scritching him, but doesn't want belly rubs - and he likes to watch TV. He is coming along very nicely, from a feral kitten that was always wide-eyed in fear to becoming a little loverboy housecat.

I've always thought it strange how he just FLOPS, though. I've never known another cat to be that loose-limbed, and I've known lots of cats in my 40 years, despite just becoming a meowmy fairly recently.

His fur is incredibly soft, even at 8 months old, it feels like rabbit fur still.

Ginger, on the other hand, loves to sleep on her back in very strange positions - if I didn't know she was a moggie, I would guess her to be 98% Maine Coon, as she has all of the personality characteristics and nearly all of the physical traits.

I do know that with the exception of pure-bred cats, pretty much all moggies are a mix of almost any breed cat, but it is fun and interesting for me to try to identify those traits that are most dominant in my two.

And Ferris is a bit of a puzzle, showing some Maine Coon (as remarked upon by the vet,) some Angora (facial structure,) and with his huge, huge bottle brush tail and floppiness, I thought perhaps there may be some Ragdoll or Ragamuffin in his genes.

At 8 months old, he is still growing, and looks very raggedy-coated, even when freshly groomed. His mane or ruff is growing in, he is growing a cute little beard under his chin and is starting to look like he's going to become a pretty large boy, even though he is quite lanky at present.

I think underneath his semi-feralness (is that a word?) that he is a really laid back little guy, and the more comfortable and trusting he gets, the more joy I have because he craves affection, and I crave giving it to him.
post #5 of 15
Judging by the pic in your siggy, Ferris may have some Somali in him. He reminds me of Mosi in many ways and the soft fur and bottle brush tail are characteristics of Somalis.
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbantigers View Post
Judging by the pic in your siggy, Ferris may have some Somali in him. He reminds me of Mosi in many ways and the soft fur and bottle brush tail are characteristics of Somalis.
Actually, looking at your siggy and my siggy together, there does appear to be some similarities in their faces. Hmmm...

::: runs off to research the Somali breed :::
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
::: back from researching :::

Well, based upon the physical and tempermental traits of the Somalis, it does appear to very closely match my little Ferris!

The coat description is very similar to that of a Maine Coon, along with the very large ears, the lithe and muscular body shape looks very much like Ferris, and he does have a very dark red stripe that goes down his back, much like the "eel" stripe on a classic Somali. It is shiny and appears coarse, although it is rabbit-soft.

And the shaggy pantaloons, the bottle-brush tail, the sweet little face, etc. - pictures of Somalis look like Ferris' cousins. (Of course, he's the poor relation with mixed blood, LOL.)

(And again, I KNOW that he is just a moggie, not trying to stomp on purebreds here!)

The way that he plays with SO many toys, his continual soft conversational trills, his intelligence and curiosity level, SO much about that breed's characteristics are a match for his little "big" personality.

Of course, there are lots that don't match, for example, he is a continual shedder, and leaves clumps all over the house.

Huh! So far, this breed has the most similarities to my boy, as the Main Coon does with my girl.

Thanks for the tip! I love BOTH my moggies, regardless of what genes they carry, but it is nice to be able to make some identifications.
post #8 of 15
Your not stomping on the purebred kittys many of us have moggies too and love them just as much A kitty lover is a kitty lover doesn't matter whether their owners are moggies or not
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sims2fan View Post
Your not stomping on the purebred kittys many of us have moggies too and love them just as much A kitty lover is a kitty lover doesn't matter whether their owners are moggies or not
Thank you for that, I appreciate it.

I do know that there are some breeders out there that get hyper-sensitive about moggie owners trying to "place" their cats under the name of a specific breed, and get angry if you say, for example, my cat is part Maine Coon, when you have no papers to prove anything.

So I was just trying to let folks know that I'm not trying to claim any birthrights, just looking for clues as to the POSSIBLE genetic make-up of my babies. And I think we're good now!

Oh, another possible Somali connection with Ferris - his eyes appear to be outlined with white eye-liner.
post #10 of 15
My bf's runty kitten is one of the most relaxed cats I've ever seen. At first I thought his limpness was due to some illness, but he's just a laid-back, lazy fuzzball. :P

You can hold him and he'll just dangle there, looking around with half-shut eyes. for at least a full minute, if not more.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
I've determined that Ferris doesn't just go limp, he OOOZES.

I've been watching him as he goes about the house, and he moves very sinuously, like a snake. I don't know if it is pure laziness or not, but I have held back my laughter more than once as I've watched him ooze over the back of the couch, hitting the floor with a big thump once gravity took over.

If he can move without actually standing up, he prefers to. He will creep forward in a crouch (but not a predatory crouch, that's different) and as soon as his nose gets where he wants it, the rest of him collapses/belly flops in place, back legs stretched behind him over pillows, paperwork, laps, the remote, there is no such thing as an obstacle in his oooooozy path.
post #12 of 15
My Pebbles is a "moggie", but she most definitely has a lot of rag in her. Not only looks, but she goes completely limp in one hand. Just like you're holding a rag. It's the funniest thing. She also sleeps belly up all the time and the hair on her belly is out of control!!
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
(And again, I KNOW that he is just a moggie, not trying to stomp on purebreds here!)
There is NOTHING wrong whatsoever with a bit of curiosity as to your cat's genetic origins. I know for a fact that my 'moggy' has cornish rex and siamese in him, and it explains a lot of his personality and behaviour (as well as his ears and his gluttony ), but if I didn't know anything about his origins at all I'd be looking at aspects of his looks and behaviour and comparing it with different breeds to try to pin it down.

Radar goes completely limp when he doesn't want to be moved - it's almost as if he's saying 'I don't want to move so I'm not helping you' and makes it as difficult as possible for me to scoop him up off the floor he does love being picked up though, he's very much an independent 'on his own terms' cat but he purrs like mad when he's having a shoulder ride or being carried upside down like a baby with his legs in the air
post #14 of 15
A friend of mine had a moggie that would go limp only for her. She could even drape him around the back of her neck like a scarf. He wouldn't let anyone else even hold him.
post #15 of 15
I have a Raggie kitten and he is SO floppy that he scares me sometimes He's a little skittish around other people but such a little lovebug for me. They all definately have their own personalities and don't all fit into the breed stereotype, which I think is a good thing. It would be a boring world if all kitties were alike!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Showing and Ethical Breeding
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Cat Breeds, Breeding and Showing › Showing and Ethical Breeding › Are Ragdolls the only breed that...