My cat will not drink water, old links??

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats will not drink water. She is terrified of water. At first she would sweetly watch as it swirled down the commode in the toilet, and she watches with fascination at how I pour the water into their water bowl, but she won't drink, she will 'paw' at it and use it as part of her grooming process. I have tried yesterday to add water to their meow mix pouch and it worked twice, but now when I do it, they both look at me and refuse to eat the watered down morsels.

besides the meow mix pouches is their anyway to get water into her. I don't think the running fountains will work because now when I pour water she runs like mad. she just refuses to drink, I even tried a bowl similar to their food bowl and she will look but will not drink.

Anyone else have this problem, I tried searching but all these lucky people have cats TOO fascinated with water
. Should I try to bottle feed her once a day with water?? Please help...

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your best bet is keeping her on a wet food diet only. She will get her water that way

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You could try freezing some homemade chicken or beef broth (no seasoning) in ice cube trays, and dropping an ice cube into each water bowl. Multiple water bowls spread throughout your home, away from the food bowls, encourage cats to drink. Have you tried bottled water?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
as far as human grade broth what is satisfactory? That is a great idea. There is no changing their nutro and meow mix pouches [finally bowel movement have some form
] so added 'flavor water' may work. wait, I am thinking gravy. beef broth, is there a name I can get from the market that is totally safe. thanks!! I was worried. one time I saw her go to potty make the motion and not do anything, I haven't been inspecting her lately. I see her bm but the other girl I see urine and bm all the time. she is only 5 months I don't think she has problems. is it okay for them to make the potty motion without worrying when that don't go. should it automatically put up a red flag??

jeza921

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats doesn't drink at all. She's been this way for nine years... she's still doing good. Just keep up the wet food, she'll get enough that way.

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are on nutro natural dry for kittens and meow mix pouch chick-a-doodle doo and the one with turkey and giblets so two varieties, they like the pouch better than 'bowl'

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pearce1974

is it okay for them to make the potty motion without worrying when that don't go. should it automatically put up a red flag??
If its a male cat yes( red flag), if its a female, not as much of an emergency but not sure if she's trying to pee or poo? If she's trying to pee and nothing comes out or very little she could have a urinary infection. If she's constipated that may make sense if she doesnt get enough water.

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they are both girls. they position themselves, then about 5 seconds later their bm appears. with the other girl, the non-water drinker, i have seen her with my own eyes, assume the position, wait the 5 seconds, nothing comes out but she'll scratch, whatever , but then later she does the bm. when I come home there are about 4 puddles [not bm urine] so I am hoping she does it when I am not eyeing her...

pearce1974

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they go for their spay Tuesday, if I don't see it with my own eyes, I will inquire. especially since she won't drink herwater. I will keep adding it to the meow mix til they get sick of me. they like the 'juice' anyway, i will add enough so they will they it's 'juice' without going overboard into gross mushy soup

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pearce1974

they are both girls. they position themselves, then about 5 seconds later their bm appears. with the other girl, the non-water drinker, i have seen her with my own eyes, assume the position, wait the 5 seconds, nothing comes out but she'll scratch, whatever , but then later she does the bm. when I come home there are about 4 puddles [not bm urine] so I am hoping she does it when I am not eyeing her...
Sounds like she is either slightly constipated or doesnt enjoy you watching